What's new

Is DVD-A over and done with? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I have been finding it increasingly difficult to find new DVD-A titles ANYWHERE. I found a website that lists upcoming titles by date.
Link Removed
Below is a list. The problem is, I can't find anywhere online to order or pre-order these discs. Only DVD Empire and Tower list the REM album and you have to search for it. Plus, I thought all Warner titles were supposed to be $14.99. DVD Empire has it for $21.23 and Tower has it for $18.99.
It even looks like Amazon is pulling back support. Many of their titles now state "Usually ships within 4 days" or even "1-3 weeks" meaning that they need to get it from somewhere else before shipping it to you.
What happened to the 'Day and Date' releases from Warner? Wouldn't that mean that the new RHCP and Linkin Park albums should have been released on DVD-A?
Jul 30
38 Special: Live At Sturgis (Silverline)
Bonnie Raitt: Nick Of Time (EMI)
Crowded House: Crowded House (EMI)
Ken Boothe: Crying Over You-Anthology (Silverline)
Dubliners: Definative Transatlantic Collection (Silverline)
Gary Moore: Back To The Blues (Silverline)
Greg Kiln: All The Right Reasons-Anthology (Silverline)
Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers: Home Of The Hits-Best Of (Silverline)
Linda Ronstadt: What's New (Warner)
Linkin Park: Reanimation (Warner)
Luis Conte: Latin Jazz Trio (AIX)
Richard Thompson: Rumour And Sigh (EMI)
Queensryche: Empire (EMI)
Uriah Heep: Best Of Uriah Heep Pt 2 (Silverline)
Yes: Magnification (Rhino)
Aug 6
Mozart: Piano Quartets: Gaede Trio Series VIII, Markus Schirmer (Tacet)
Aug 13
Money Mark: Change Is Coming (Silverline) DATE CHANGE
REO Speedwagon: Live Plus (Silverline) DATE CHANGE
Aug 27
REM: Reveal (Warner)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
It kind of seems like SACD has the momentum at the moment (with the Rolling Stones, CCR, Aerosmith, etc.), but my feeling is that we could still see either, both or neither of the hi-rez formats succeed.

Iffy economic times are not conducive to launching a new format (I'm convinced DVD's success was at least in part due to being launched during the dotcom boom), so it may be premature to make any calls at this time.

From that list, I see a couple (Crowded House, REM) I'd pick up if the stereo tracks are playable on DVD-V players.

That said, though, when most of the new product is Silverline stuff, things don't look good.

Ryan

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Gary Moore: Back To The Blues (Silverline)
Anyone know how this one compares to "Still Got the Blues"?
Richard Thompson: Rumour And Sigh (EMI)
This looks like a keeper :).
If Warner is DVD-A's parent, the grandparent AOL, is keeled over barfing its brains out at $9 a share. Recently ejected MTV's brainchild, Bob Pittman. I hope DVD-A doesn't suffer due to economic times.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It is not over and done with. Part of the problem lies in the backing. For the beginning of both DVD-A and SACD there was considerable backing, Warner on the DVD-A side and Sony on the SACD side. Both have vested interests in the vast catalogs of music they have access to and would love to sell to consumers. Warner, having gone through the AOL Time Warner merger has refocused some goals. Now having a cable business, movie business, music business, online business, etc., they envision the day there will be a server in your home delivering their content to you for monthly fee.

The merger has not gone as smoothly as expected and when that happens there is likely infighting as to what is important and things get reprioritized. As a result, they have likley backed off some of the resources to put out the software and SACD has gained some momemtum. They listened to some of the consumers complaints and have lowered the list prices on DVD-As and are trying to gear up again. When you are part of that big a company, things take time to get moving again. The next 18 months or so in hardware sales and software availability will leave a better picture as to where the formats stand and are heading.

Neither side wants to lose. Sony is still putting out single layer discs. Warner still has that notion for a pay low resolution digital format delivered over the web. I feel Sony could do a lot to help their cause by having their SACD releases playable on current CD players. Warner could do a lot more by not being so obsessed with controlling the delivery medium and agreeing to an industry standard and being content with whatever dollar return they get. This divides the resources available to the music side of the business. Since we live in a portable society, e.g. walkmans (discmans), car audio, etc., it should be interesting to see where these systems are headed as well.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I dunno.. I guess I will have to wait until the 30th to see if these titles are released. Maybe noone wants to take pre-orders. I did notice that Tower also has Crowded House available for pre-order.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
With nothing new in quite a few months...Queen's "Night At the Opera" being the last decent release, I think it's safe to say DVD-a is dead. It needs some serious resusitation.

Sad.

Eric.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Another R.E.M. Reveal pre-order available as of today: DVD Planet: $17.49

I'm sure as we get closer to street date, more retailers will have it in their systems.

Regards,

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand: how can the format be dying with the release of so many titles? :confused:
NP: Ella Fitzgerald, Ella at Juan-les-Pins

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It will be very interesting to see how many of those titles listed for release on July 30th will actually come out. Note the two Warner titles on that list. Warner has done nothing with DVD-Audio in months. I am skeptical about that release list. The Silverline titles will probably come out, but I could care less about them. :frowning:

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
In the latest DVD Etc. Mag they discuss why one artist went with DVD-A instead of SACD and I found it interesting. They were really planning on the Hardware of DVD-A players being mainstream in cars and the like by 2005. Maybe the fight will drag out even longer.

Go read the meg it is good even if you don't read the article I am talking about. Have a good day!

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
KiethH:

I received shipping notification for the Yes and Queensryche discs from circuitcity.com yesterday, so it looks like someting besides Silverline will finally be released.

By the way, CC has Magnification for $13.99; all the other sites I checked had this one for about $20.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rob, thanks for the information. That's great news. Circuitcity.com has been selling Warner DVD-Audio discs for $13.99 each ever since it dropped the retail price a few weeks back. Unfortunately, Best Buy is still selling the discs for $22.99 each. :angry: Circuit City does not sell DVD-Audio discs in the stores. Finally, it's worth noting that Amazon is selling Warner DVD-Audio discs for $14.99 each.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Not only Best Buy, but Tower Records is even still selling DVD-A's at their old list price. I can see Best Buy overlooking this, but Tower should definitely know better. I am sure their management knows that prices have dropped on the Warner titles, but they continue to seel them at 25.95 each anyway.:angry:
Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, thanks for the tip. $25.95 for DVD-Audio discs was obnoxious before the price drop. Now it's blasphemy! :angry:

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Ah well, I see that the Warner titles didn't make it this week. I just bought the last copy of Natalie Merchant's Tigerlilly DVD-A from Amazon.
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
There always seems to be impressive DVD-A release schedules that never materialize - wasn't that Yes album originally supposed to be released prior to or simultaneously with the redbook CD?

I think the EXPECTATION that DVD-A carries a multichannel mix, as opposed to JUST a high-rez stereo mix, will ultimately be it's downfall. SACD's are more reasonably priced, and have multichannel CAPABILITY, however - there are many more SACD titles without multichannel mixes than there are ones that do. I think DVD-A does not PUSH it's hi-rez sound as much as it should.

Additionally, some DVD-A manufacturers are including hi-bitrate PCM tracks, which allow for better sound (than redbook) through DVD-V players without the need to add DVD-A capability. This is almost like shooting themselves in the foot.

Trouble is - it costs more money to re-mix an entire album from the multi-tracks than to convert the existing 2 channel master to hi-rez. (Hell, tens of thousands of dollars can be spent just LOCATING the multi-tracks. Yes couldn't find the "Close to the Edge" multi's..) With the economy down, what is the return on the investment? I think DVD-A should concentrate on high end sound, and save the surround mixes for the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks