What's new

Is DVD-A over and done with? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, oops again. I thought you were saying it was a new release. For some reason, I never heard anything about it. It sounds totally unfamiliar to me, but I'll have to check it out to see if it jogs my memory. Perhaps I saw it in stores when it came out but it didn't phase me.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Magnifiacation is Yes's latest release. It came out on cd a few months ago.

The DVDA was just released finally. I have one on order from Circuit City.com.

JohnG

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Seems you can't mention Yes here lately without Jeff Keene piping up...

I highly recommend Magnification. It does the best job of making old and new Yes fans happy of any of the post-80s albums, IMO.

Old fans will appreciate Steve Howe's best Yes work since ABWH. The songs, while shorter generally than Yes's early 70s stuff, are progressive in nature and composed with contributions from everyone. Keyboards have been replaced by a symphony orchestra, and to surprisingly good effect.

Newer fans will appreciate the most logical follow-up to Big Generator we've seen yet. Talk and Open Your Eyes were, respectively, nice and poor tries at this.

And the DVD-A sounds simply wonderful. I listened to it in its entirety yesterday and it's terrific. Good dynamics, smooth but detailed sound, and clear, strong bass. Highly recommended by this Yes nut.

Hope this helps.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I hereby proclaim Jeff Keene to be the "Raid" of threads here.... he kills 'em dead ;)
There you go Jeff.
Gotta find a copy of Yes at the store now, you rascal!
Regards,

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I've always been the black flag of the family...

Pa-dum-dum

Yep, I should get a cut from Yes's sales, because I'm always forcing it on people. They are, without a doubt, my favorite band.

In fact, if I can't convince a friend to get some Yes, I buy it for them. Just got the new box set for a buddy for his birthday. He laughed at me at the time, but I noticed yesterday that he's got all five discs in his car changer. Bwahahahahaha. You can't resiiiiist...

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I will only be happy when I can go into store and buy a DVD-A/SACD combo player(not a Apex)for under 400$. I had a copy of Billy Joel's Stranger multi-SACD in my hands and boy did I want to hear it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve, Pioneer will be releasing the Elite DV-45A universal player by the end of the year. The early word is that it will retail for around $500. Perhaps the street price will be in the ballpark for you.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
if this was the case DVD would not have taken off.
I disagree completely with this. This is like saying DVD took off because it finally gave consumers widescreen and since they were all discriminating viewers they had to have it.
MUCH more likely, it seems, is the lifespan of DVD tied to the cost. VHS buying was there, but many people didn't want to buy $90 tapes when they were released and didn't want to buy VHS tapes that would end up bad after 5 years, even from just sitting on the shelf.
Quality has helped, but then that's totally connected to the push toward HDTV and big screen quality sets.
DVD-A/SACD just don't have that added lifetime, they certainly don't improve upon the price, and they sort of don't have the dramatic equipment upgrade that DVD did, except in one way...people have bought surround systems/speakers. Sure some people also made their entire speaker package better too, but there have been great quality stereo systems for decades now, so you don't have that technology jump in stereo playback that says "now you are going to want 96K sampling to show that system off".
Not like people jumping up from a $1000 27" TV not so long ago to a $1000 52" set now (maybe even HDTV). That type of dramatic monitor change does scream out for better resolution.
So I also agree on the side that says multichannel IS the selling point for DVD-A/SACD to the general public. I honestly think I could impress most of my friends with 196 MP3s with 10 albums on 1 disc versus 1 96K album. Simply because they won't hear enough of a difference versus the extra convenience of so much music on one portable CD. Sell them an MP3 10 album package for $40 and it wouldn't even be close (some might not buy for lack of a car player for EITHER situation).
I have had much more success impressing people with the multichannel tracks than with the improved resolution stereo, just because it is much more obvious (and applies to many of their recent upgrades to surround systems). It becomes the new candy for these extra speakers, and people want to use their high dollar equipment as much as possible.
Meanwhile, I sit hear with the new Empire DVD-A and I didn't get to listen to it yet. :frowning: Darn nighttime and neighbors. :)
I also have some concerns when we see a lack of product coming out. I can handle niche volumes and prices (just like LD), but so far it's not even close to being that good. Heck, I'd be even more worried about DVD-A hardware dissappearing so that my DVD-As were only half usable (many of them are rebuy's of stereo software I owned).

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Seth,

I agree with you for the most part, but have always been peeved that many people who couldn't hear the obvious difference between redbook CD and dvd-a/sacd. To me, even in 2 channel, it is IMMEDIATELY apparent. Let's not even take into consideration the pure DSD recordings from Telarc and Chesky Or the hi-rez PCM recordings from AIX. I think we can agree that the difference here then becomes VERY dramatic. I think a majority of people just don't care. Plain and simple.

Reg

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I've got the original UK Decca Stones albums, so I thought I was prepared for what these carefully mastered SACDs might sound like. I wasn't. The amount of detail revealed by the DP-85 (Accuphase) was jaw-dropping. I heard things in very familiar tunes I'd never heard before, and going back to the original vinyl was a bit of a shock to my systems, both personal and electronic.
Can't wait until August 20th! :D

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Ironic isn't it that the Accuphase DP-85V converts the DSD datastream to 24bit/192kHz for D/A conversion?

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ironic isn't it that the Accuphase DP-85V converts the DSD datastream to 24bit/192kHz for D/A conversion?
I don't know about this as I am not real focused on $16,000 CD players. I think digital audio moves too fast for that kind of investment to be economical.

I have to read Mike Fremer's review and get back to you on this one.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,
I have spoken with some "expert" friends and have been told this is simply not true. Nor is it mentioned, in spite of voluminous measurements by John Atkinson, in Mike Fremer's review in the September Stereophile.
I would like to know your sources for this. According to my friends, there is a pure DSD conversion going on here all the way to the analog outputs. I guess it is possible that the Accuphase link may have some effect, but according to Mike, the 2.83Mhz SACD bitstream using the proprietary HS-link connector. I think your data may be based on the Audio Asylum rumours recently. And you know why they call the Asylum ;)
By the way, it is a $16,500 player, so one would expect that audiophiles would definitely expect pure conversion.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,

I think the 24/192 is just the available upsampling path for PCM prior recorded media. In looking at the block diagrams and text in the product brochure there is no mention of any 24/192 before the MDS (multiple Delta Sigma) Delta Sigma conversion.

In the Stereophile review, Mike Fremer talks about how one can have a partial universal player in this in that it accepts DVDA sources for 24/192 conversion, but this is a separate path with inputs in the back. Even so, Mike raises questions about its CD performance.

I am now even more doubtful about your claim.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
Look at the digital path from the bits being pulled off the platter. There are three DSPs between the platter and the DAC. Doing the conversion on the fly in DSP is childs play given the horsepower available.
What's their function?
Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Tell me Lee, how do you do Multi-bit Delta Sigma decoding on a single-bit Delta Sigma stream?

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Tell me Lee, how do you do Multi-bit Delta Sigma decoding on a single-bit Delta Sigma stream?
I don't understand your replies John. I looked at the block diagram and I don't see any 24/192 conversion going on. The player is clearly pulling a 2.82mhz datastream off the disc.

You still have not answered my question. What is your source for this hypothesis?

Can you prove it? Can you point to a page in the literature that conclusively states this as fact? or an admittal from the Accuphase team?

If the MDS is done in parallel (page three on brochure PDF), then it seems it simply done in Delta-Sigma simultaneously...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks