Is Denon 3802 THX Ultra certified?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kia, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Kia

Kia Auditioning

Jun 16, 2001
    And if so, shouldnt it be able to decode tracks encoded in THX Surround EX audio? I just finished comparing prices online and when I checked, it clearly specifies where the features are desribed, that the Denon 3802 is NOT capable of THX Surround EX decoding. Is this a mistake on behalf of, or is it in fact true that the Denon can not decode this audio format? I know I should be asking this seperate question in the HT software section, but if any of you have links to a complete and current list of DVD titles encoded in DTS ES discrete/matrix, THX EX, or Dolby Digital EX audio, please let me know.
    Best Regards -
  2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Jun 11, 1999
    While the Denon 3802 doesn't use official THX EX post-processing (THX EX is something added after the fact), it does do very good 6.1 EX matrix decoding for Dolby Digital 5.0 and 5.1 soundtracks (EX or non-EX matrix encoded tracks).
    Official DTS-ES Matrix is used for decoding DTS 5.0 and 5.1 (ES or non-ES matrix encoded) soundtracks.
    The best of the current 6.1 formats, official DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, is also handled with aplomb.
    There is a list, although partially incorrect, on this very site in the Software section listing DTS-ES (Discrete and Matrix) and Dolby Digital EX titles.
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!