Reciever to go with Klipsch Referecne Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aaron_dewitt, Mar 20, 2002.

1. aaron_dewitt

aaron_dewitt Agent

Hey guys need some help again, I was wondering what receivers sound good with the reference series speakers. I know the denon does because it is a softer sound. Im looking for a reciever that handles dts es and dolby digital ex. I have been looking at the denon 3802 so far. Any other suggestions? Are there any that are THX ultra certified at a reasonable cost? Please give me suggestions as i just sold my old sony 835 today and need a new one. Thanks alot. Im upgrading my system part by part. I ordered a SVS 20-39pci today. Getting Reference series speakers this summer. But would like a reciever soon in order to play movies with my old setup.

Thanks again

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I sell a lot of Klipsch...and Denon.... a yes they "marry" well...but also try the 3 new Yamahas (top-art design) RXV1200,2200,3200.....smoother than some of their older and lower end units.....Given recent concerns re Denon I'm a bit more inclined to lean towards the Yamahas....

3. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

I'm using Denon with my Klipsch. I also think Harman Kardon, Marantz and Onkyo would be good ones to look at as well. During the demo of my RF-5's I used a Rotel system and that combination was good also. Try as many combinations as possible you never know which one will sound best to you.

4. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I'm using a 3802 to drive my Legends and am VERY happy. Might consider adding an Outlaw 755 in the future though.....MORE POWER!!

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I too am using Denon with Klipsch. But it wouldn't hurt to give the new Yamahas and Marantz a listen.

6. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have tried all theses brands with my Klipsch RF3II's and Marantz sounded the best(IMHO). Right now though I use a Parasound amp with my speakers. If you are going to go with a receiver give Marantz strong consideration. Very smooth and warm sound.

7. Scott Holt

Scott Holt Agent

Don't get caught in the thx bull. It doesn't really mean that much. Look for something that has good power and everything you want. Look for build quality. I do have a thx cert. in my denon 4802 but it had everything I was looking for. I had owned the onkyo 919 for about 5years and loved it. I wanted to upgrade to 7.1 and auditioned many. I decided I liked the Denon the best. Just my choice for the sound and options. Not necessarily better but I just liked it better. You need to listen yourself and not listen to us. You will make a good choice with either denon or onkyo.

8. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

i havew listened to several klipsch reference speakers with denon, hk, and yamaha. I preferreed the hk greatly over the yammy, and also over the denon, but not quite as much as the yamaha. I find hk's "warm" sound to mix very well with my klipsch speakers.

9. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Marantz, Denon and HK go well with Klipsch. Dont even think of Onkyo or Yamaha. It'll just burn right through your ears. This is MHO. Others may differ depending on their ear's frequency response.

10. ScottyB

ScottyB Auditioning

I don't know if I have been influenced by all of the posts I have read but after listening to my new yamaha 1200 with Klipsch speakers this weekend it is sounding on bright side at high volumes. I did a side by side test at the store and the Yamaha sounded much better with Klipsch speakers. So being the perfectionist that I am, I am going to demo the denon 3802 at home. We will see.

11. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

i am a HUGE fan of yamaha receivers. this may sound closed minded but i will probably never own another brand. i heard them all in blind tests and always pick the yamaha. this is always done with my speakers however. i will say though (and understand ,this is very difficult for me to say) i would not recommend the yamaha with klipsch speakers. (phew...i said it, i almost feel dirty) i heard a demo at my local hi fi place. another couple was looking at getting klipsch speakers to go with their yammie. i wanted to stick around and hear these speakers as i do not have a lot of experience with them. the sound that came from them wanted to make me run away and hide. i love a bright sound but that to me was too bright. maybe it is because i am not used to horn loaded speakers but i have heard klipsch with denon and the sound was very good. i would recomeemend denon. either the 2802 or 3802. if you can swing it i would get the 3802, it is a fantastic receiver at a great price. i hope i did not offend anyone who may have yamaha/klipsch setup. i know they are both top notch items, and a lot of people love the sound. it just was not my cup of tea. anyway good luck

12. ScottyB

ScottyB Auditioning

Well guys I went and traded my Yamaha 1200 in for the Denon 3802. And I have to admit that the Denon sounds much better with my Klipsch speakers. At 100dbs the Yamaha was cutting right through me but not with the Denon. The Denon was warmer and smoother. If I didn't check the volume levels with my SLM I would have sworn that I was only listening to the Denon at around 90 dbs. I am not cutting Yamaha because I am a loyal fan. I believe because my old Yamaha ( my 1990 version)was only pushing 55 w/channel that it didn't sound too bright. With more watts with the 1200 I definately noticed the harshness at loud volumes. So anyway after two home tests I switch to Denon with Klipsch speakers.