Which receiver to buy in the $1000 range?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ammon, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I am upgrading my receiver (Technics SA-DX 930) that I have had for 4 years now. I am looking into the $1000 - $1200 price range and wondering what everyone would suggest I should look at. I am mainly using it for Home Theater. I have been looking at the Sony ES STR-DA4ES and the Denon AVR-3802. I have seen the Pioneer VSX-36TX which is a THX Ultra Certified receiver with a descent price. I've read all the THX comments here, so I hope I dont spark up another debate on that. Could someone give me some ideas on what receivers I should narrow my search down to? By the way, I do plan on giving a real good listen to all these receivers, but want to know where to start.

2. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Denon 3802 is $699 + shipping from 6th Ave (authorized dealer). At least it was a few days ago. Good luck.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I have the Denon 3802 and Sony DA5ES. For HT I would highly recommend the DA4ES for about $650 shipped. The Denon has a slight advantage IMO for analog stereo if using passive sub and bookshelfs with it's hybrid analog/digital crossover.

4. Tim Baldwin

Tim Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gil,
    Can you say where you've seen the 4ES at $650 shipped? It's on my shortlist, but the best I've found is about $690 plus. Thanks!

5. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I thought I read Oade Brothers price was uder $650 plus shipping. Onecall will also match their price and I have found their Fedex rate to be very reasonable.

6. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I actually have a friend here locally that can get me the Sony 4ES for cost at $605. If you want to pay for shipping and handling, I could probably arrange to ship it to you. Just for some other info, the cost for me on the Denon 3802 is $630 and the Sony 7ES is $1390.

7. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Ammon-- I, for one, would be VERY interested in getting one of those recievers. Would these be coming from an authorized Sony ES retailer? Would they come with the 5-year warranty from Sony?

8. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it is an Authorized Dealer and comes with the full 5-Year Warranty. I usually give him a few extra dollars on the side for giving me the discount ($30). If you would like, contact me by email [email protected] and we can work something out.