Is 75db reference level too loud?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeShea, Apr 2, 2003.

1. MikeShea

MikeShea Agent

I know this has been answered before but how many people find that after setting their system to the 75db reference level their system is just too loud.

Granted I live in an apartment but last night after tuning my system with the THX Optimizer on Moulin Rouge and then trying to listen to the Moulined version of Roxanne, I was just blasted out of my chair - in a bad way.

I haven't measured it, but I think my average listening level is in the 60hz range. Is this just too low? Should I be cranking it a bit more than I normally do? What is the average listening level most people use?

Thanks for the input!

Mike
    http://liquidtheater.com/

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Nobody's going to tell you how loud you should listen to your HT. Many here, including myself, rarely, if ever, listen at reference. I usually listen at around 15-21dB below reference. Sometimes, just for kicks, I'll crank it up to reference, but not for very long.

At reference, my system has enough distortion to be painful. People that regularly listen at or above reference either 1.) have high end equipment that do not introduce distortion or 2.) are insane/masochists/don't care about their hearing. [​IMG]

JKS

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Use reference level to CALIBRATE your system. But adjust the volume up/down for each movie to taste.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    WHAT?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!?? SPEAK UP! [​IMG]

I actually only kick up reference once in a while, for a complete experience... most notibly when I get the a new Star Wars DVD or Lord of the Rings. Otherwise, I'm WELL below reference, since I don't want to piss off the neighbors.