What's new

General questions about H/K AVR 120 (1 Viewer)

Swami

Agent
Hi, I currently have an AVR 120 with cheapo speakers that I got with my Sony Surround system. It sounds pretty good. I'd like to upgrade the speakers eventually, though. I have some questions about this receiver though

1) The sound pumped out by this system is pretty good. I used an SPL meter and found that reference level 75db is around -2 on the volume dial. The dial goes up to 10. There also seems to be a close correlation between the dial increments and the db. Does this mean that I have all the power I will reasonably need? (People say that they hardly listen at reference level because it is so loud)

2) The feature set of the 120 is unmatched at that price range if you don't want 5.1 inputs and pre amp outputs. And it looks pretty good too. Any reasons why this receiver is not more popular?

3) I get the popping noise while ffing or switching from the menu in WinDVD. Curiously this does not happen in Powerdvd. This seems to be a common problem. Is this a deal breaker?

4) How do I train my ears to listen for differences in speakers? I know that ignorance is bliss, but I'd still like to know what I'm missing.

Thanks for your comments

Swami

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Actually, reference level is 85db. 75 is used by most people in a home theater environment because it's more tolerable to listen to (try listening to anything at 85db for any extended amount of time and you'll know what I mean, especially if there are big explosions going on). The popping sound that you hear is probably due to the player that you're using; it can also sometimes be caused by poorly mastered discs. I have a 320 and never get pops unless I use one of my DVD players that has a known bug when chapter skipping.
As to how to develop critical listening skills, it all comes with experience. I don't think you can be "taught" how to do it, as different people will have different criteria for evaluating equipment. Start by figuring out what kind of sound you like: detail, warmth, soundstage width and height, etc. This will give you a starting point for things to listen for in different components. Try to listen to as many different things as you can, especially if you can do side by side comparisons--there's simply no substitute or shortcut. You're not going to understand what the differences in sound are unless you experience them first hand, and until you do, no amount of descriptive feedback from other users will bring you any closer to knowing how something sounds.
That said, you're on the right track with the 120. I think the current H/K line is excellent bang for the buck and a very good choice for an entry-level HT component. The best thing you could do for yourself is to audition the other receivers up the line (preferably in-home from a retailer with a good return policy). I can tell you that while the H/K's have the same sonic signature up and down the line, the quality DOES vary, especially as you go higher up the volume dial. Good luck and have fun--this is gonna be a long ride! ;)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Actually, reference level is 85db. 75 is used by most people in a home theater environment because it's more tolerable to listen to (try listening to anything at 85db for any extended amount of time and you'll know what I mean, especially if there are big explosions going on)
NOT! It depends...105db is DD DVD ref, and if you use a calibration disc recorded at -30dbfs, ref = 75 on the meter. Avia is 85.
1) Yup, you have plenty of power. I need to go to +3 for 75db. NHT SuperOne, inefficient speakers.
2) The lower wattage rating keeps people away.
3) It's a problem I have, too. You use a PC? When I use a digital input and interrupt the bitstream, I can hear "digital deflation" or something, I dunno. Lasts 1/4 second. I can also easily hear the 1db increments flipping by at high levels. Nusiances, but that will keep people away.
4) Listen for 'air' but not static. 'Image' depth and width. Forget bass, that's what a sub is for. Actually I should say that I'm a sub/sat lover, so take this with a grain of salt. Listen to music that has no distortion in it. Don't demo with Metallica, unless you really like it. Demo with what's most familiar to you, and listen for things like the pluck of guitar strings, decay of cymbals, clarity of the highs, male and female voices should sound clear, not boxy or veiled...I could go on and on.
I agree with Eujin - except for the 75/85 thing :D

Swami

Agent
Yup, that's what I mean. 75db using Video Essentials.

I think the popping sound is because of the auto detection of the H/K I didn't get it in the denon 1602 I had before. Another annoying thing about the autodetection is that I always lose about a couple of sounds of audio when going to a new chapter from the menu. Funnily enough it doesn't happen with powerdvd, which also is a lot slower to respond to chapter changes than windvd.

I am using this receiver with a htpc.

Swami

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks