DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Transporter 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Osadciw, Jan 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    [​IMG]

TRANSPORTER 2

[​IMG]
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Film Year: 2005
    Film Length: 87 minutes
    Genre: Action

Aspect Ratio:
    [​IMG][*] SIDE A: 2.35:1 enhanced widescreen[*] SIDE B: 1.33:1 full screen

Colour/B&W: Colour

Audio:[*] English [​IMG] [​IMG] 5.1 Surround
    [*]Spanish & French [​IMG] [​IMG] 2.0 Surround

Subtitles: English & Spanish
    Film Rating: PG-13

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Release Date: January 10, 2006.

Film Rating: [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Starring: Jason Statham (Frank Martin), Alessandro Gassman (Gianni), Amber Valletta (Audry Billings), Kate Nauta (Lola), Matthew Modine (Mr. Billings)
    Written by: Luc Besson & Robert Mark Kamen
    Directed by: Louis Leterrier

The Best in the Business is Back in the Game.

Jason Statham reprises his role as the driver Frank Martin in the sequel to the highly successful film The Transporter. In that film, also written by Luc Besson (La Femme Nikita, Leon: The Professional, The Fifth Element), Statham plays an ex-agent who delivers dangerous goods and works only by his own rules. It had character, it had flair, and it had man-to-man hand fighting scenes that were slick in style and are some of my recent favourites. Above all, it appeared original.

This time Statham is retired from delivering dangerous goods and is now driving a child around for a very wealthy man and his wife. But all is not well and Frank Martin finds himself caught in the middle of a kidnapping. He is encouraged to walk away but once again he broke one of his rules: no promises. He promised not to let anyone hurt the child so his mission is to make sure that doesn’t happen.

But the cops believe Frank is involved in it and he’s pursued by the police as well as villains. He also meets his competition with the girlfriend of the kidnapper, the sexy but very deadly Lola. Loaded with guns and with an image of a sexy video game assassin, she takes no prisoners. Several Russians are also involved and are the exact opposite of Lola - they have more fear than wit and bravery and pose little threat to Frank.

Frank gets between the plans of the kidnapper to disrupt South American politics by affecting the world in a sickly way: disease. Oddly enough, the long-term cure is in the kidnapper. The short term cure is for Frank to bust his plan.

The film is fast-paced and loaded with action to the point of being unbelievable. This movie has sequel written all over it. Its story isn’t as strong as the first and the characters aren’t as colourful. The stunts are impossible and even the premise of the kidnapping is ludicrous. Frank finds himself confronting a villain that has the ideas of a mad-scientist (he does have one working for him) but really can just defend himself with money and a gun. I was disappointed with this film because I enjoyed the first one so much. Even though it was entertaining, I must admit it was a let-down. We just may see this series carry on though. Maybe we’ll be entertained better next time?

[​IMG]VIDEO QUALITY [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is an oddly coloured film that is stylized (I imagine) to give the impression of sunset skies. But all colours are tinted a nasty looking yellow-green making everyone look like they’ve had food poisoning and are on the verge of being sick. Because of the obvious alteration of the image, I have to dock off half a star because it doesn’t look as three-dimensional as other discs have when using our 480p system. At least the image is clean from compression artefacts and edge enhancement. Grain is occasionally apparent, but in minute amounts. Honestly, this looks more intentional if anything so don’t be bothered by it.

The aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and it is enhanced for widescreen televisions. A pan & scan version is available on the other side of the disc for those of you who want to miss out on about 43% of the action.

[​IMG]AUDIO QUALITY [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is another LOUD soundtrack that will please many and deafen others. Encoded in 5.1 Dolby Digital, this is clearly a soundtrack designed for movie theatre playback rather than optimized for home theatres.

Sound effects are what drive this movie from beginning to end and there are plenty of them to keep this fast-action movie moving. It is immersive but very front-soundstage heavy in terms of keeping the viewers attention on the screen. The surround channels are almost equally as active but they never draw attention to themselves. Instead, they add to the depth and spaciousness that the front soundstage creates. Bravo to the sound designers of this film for achieving this; it proves once again how soundtracks can create this sense of space without the use of sound-altering dipolar speaker designs.

Even though this soundtrack was loud when listening to it at a 75dB reference level, was it fun at least? Hell yeah!! While completely unrealistic, BASS is overused. While I can understand its necessary for large theatres in order to give some body to the sound in such a huge venue, in the home theatre its nuts! When my pants are shaking because of the amount of air being moved in my theatre I know it’s heavy. For explosions and pulsating sounds for music and mood – that’s all good. But when the sounds of people being punched and kicked as well as the sound of them hitting the ground are accompanied by load of bass it gets to be a little much. Yet, many of you will have loads of fun with this soundtrack because of it. I did! I especially loved the shootout in the doctor’s office in the first quarter of the film. This is an awesome example of the fun we all have with home theatre and great demo material for all of your friends. But at the same time I would prefer to have a home theatre optimized soundtrack too.

Dialogue seemed decently integrated and the soundtrack was a little on the sparkly side in terms of treble. Music seems well recorded and expands far to the sides of the listener.

[​IMG]SPECIAL FEATURES [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Count fourteen deleted/extended scenes and a running time of just over 20 minutes. These scenes don’t add much to the film. Some are slightly character building or extended conversations, and one of them also answers what happened to a character nearing the end of the film. I can’t say that adding any of these would make the film better. In fact, they probably would have just slowed it down. These scenes are in widescreen 2.35:1 and they haven’t been coloured like the rest of the finished film has been. The audio is somewhat finished and like the first Transporter film’s deleted scenes section, there is running music in the background.

Also on this release (on side 2) is a blooper reel, a making of Transporter 2 featurette, and a making of the music featurette. I was unable to view these because my screener had the widescreen side only.

IN THE END…

While not as colourful and entertaining as The Transporter, Transporter 2 carries on the adventures of the driver and guarantees action. It’s got a good picture and a killer soundtrack and should be a must-see for you liking this genre of film. Check it out.

Michael Osadciw
    January 2, 2006.

2. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Is it 1.85 or 2.35:1? You got conflicting data.

3. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw
    2.35:1

1.85:1 was on my previous template. fixed.

thanks.
    Mike.

4. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

No DTS?

5. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't the first Transporter encoded in 5.1 EX, or did I imagine that?

6. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw
    Brent: No DTS

Paul: you are imagining an EX soundtrack. 5.1 only for both Transporter releases (DTS and Dolby)

Mike

7. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

DTS fans will have to wait for another 6 mos to get a director's cut or equivalent..just like the first one.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Michael: I had all that angst in your Review thread on the reissue of The Transporter and I finally decided to go ahead and spring for it because of the dts and the movie cash for Transporter 2.....and then I went and missed T2 in the theaters! Pretty much one of those instances of I blinked and missed my window of opportunity. (Too bad they won't take my movie cash for the DVD! [​IMG] )

Reviewers weren't very kind to the sequel. But, I will definitely pick this up. Like you, I was a fan of the concept and style of the original film but am fearful that the sequel strays too far from the concept. I am looking forward to finding out.

Too bad they didn't spring for dts on this release. I thought it was a tremendous improvement on the original film's second release.

9. Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the recent Transporter release with the free movie ticket... 3 days after the ticket expired... GRR!

It's funny. I think the sequel was better than the first one. I seem to be the only person that feels that way though. My feeling with the second one was they simply said "realism be damned" and went all out crazy. I mean the scene with the bomb on the car... So ludicrously far fetched, but it's obvious they didn't care.

Will be all over this next Tuesday! (Assuming they don't screw it up in Canada and push it out the door late.)

And I really hope we get a Bond-esque franchise with Frank Martin. He's far more fun than yet another tired Bond movie.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I loved the 2nd one. I realize it is over the top and crazy but I had a blast watching it. Not brain food but fun stuff nontheless.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Excellent! I am all too ready to go over-the-top and stretch the ol' imagination for this film.

12. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I wonder if there be a Transporter 3? I ask because if Fox will release an Extra Special Delivery Edition of T2 with free ticket for T3, then I'll hold off on getting this version. The dreaded "will they double-dip or not" question.
    -

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I also missed out on using the free ticket for Transporter 2. (and the same thing has happened with King Kong as well.)

Course, even if I used the free ticket, I still would have felt ripped off. The first film was fun, but this was so over the top, it was hard for me to root for the hero.

Jason

14. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

I'll just wait untill the German release comes out, it has a metal case and Dolby Digital 5.1 EX en DTS ES 6.1 Discrete in English like the first movie.

15. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

You're not alone. I liked it much more than the first one for pretty much the reasons you stated. It was an action cartoon and they all knew it. It seemed like they were trying to walk a line in the first one. They just crossed it here and went for it. Sure, there was one situation that was too preposterous for words, but I just had to do a quick scan of what all I had accepted so far, shrug my shoulders, then move on. [​IMG]

16. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

T2's opening weekend bettered the original's whole draw, i think. so yeah, i'd bet on T3.

17. Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C Stunt Coordinator

So basically it pulled an Austin Powers then. Interesting.

I think the first one, they pulled their punches. In T2, they just said "Screw it" and went mental. I can't think of one thing I dislike about the movie.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

You guys are really whetting my interest for this film now! [​IMG]

19. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

I watched this last night.

Wow...how do I put this...it sucked.

Bad acting (some scenes were really bad),
    bad action scenes, bad direction,
    bad characters and a horrible story

I love over-the-top action, but this movie
    just did not make any sense. It is too bad
    because I really like Jason as an actor, but
    he was wasted in this sad, sucky movie.

Just my 2 cents.

20. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

This was the funniest movie I saw all last year. The movie is so over the top and ridiculous that it is a must own.

--Ian