What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

iPhone 4G speculation and rumors (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You'll still be stuck with the same crappy network tho, unless something changes on that front. Do you want to be using AT&T into 2012? I sure don't...

iPad A4 chipset
Quadruple the pixel count
Upgrade to 5MP camera
you know what tho? I don't even care for any of those things any more really. The iPad will be my mobile platform of choice and I want to see bigger and better and rapid evolution on that platform. On the phone front it does everything I need right now and those tweaks wouldn't really tempt me at all. For those who don't have an iPad yet I can see they might be compelling. But the key is to not see the iPad as a big iPhone but the iPhone as a crappy little iPad =)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the other option? Great network and sucky phone? I'm with the masses and going sucky network and great phone :)

But that's orthogonal to whether the phone is a major upgrade. No one said the 3GS was a sad little upgrade because it's still on AT&T.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Since the beginning of 2010 I've stopped yelling about AT&T. They are clearly improving. 2.5 years late maybe, but better late than never. I am certainly hopeful for a Verizon iPhone, simply because that will further improve AT&T's network.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF

What's the other option? Great network and sucky phone?
Cheap flip phone (LG or Motorola Razr mebbe?). Mifi. iPad.

Or iPad + Skype and no phone.

I honestly use the phone part of my iPhone the LEAST of all its features.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
ATT reportedly promised $19B in network upgrades this year to partners like Apple.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/ARTICLE/20100305/CARRIERS/100309968/att-mobility-details-network-upgrade-plans-for-the-year

In fact, upgrades will occur in almost every state, some significant. But most impacted will be areas with minimal service reach now (Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Mississippi receive per percentage a monumental upgrade) While other networks (example NYC) receive up to a 30% boost in network cells + all cells upgraded to support future 7.2Mb transfer data capacity.

ATT has sucked. But they are at least working on it. And if their plan pulls off as they have labeled, afterward they will have the most dense broadly supported networks.

mylan

Screenwriter
AT&T has had their problems but PCWorld recently had an article, which I cannot find the link to, that said their staff had tested every major carrier and AT&T, in fact, had risen to number 1 in all categories: voice, data downloads, and reliabilty since AT&T had upgraded their network. I think AT&T will carry a negative reputation for some time based on past performance regardless of how well they improve.

It all comes down to whatever service works in your coverage area, not everyone is going to have the same performance with each carrier and each carrier is going to have good and bad. I've been with AT&T since they were known as BellSouth Mobility back in the mid 90's and I see no reason to change. I did my homework, however, when I selected a lot to build my house I checked to see if cable was available and I stood in the middle of the thing with my cell phone to see if I got good signal. The bottom line is, it works for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
When I first switched from Verizon to AT&T 3+ years
ago for the iPhone I was an AT&T hater just based on
overall opinions that I heard.

...but I have to tell you, I love AT&T. I don't have
problems with my service even with all the traveling
that I do.

The best thing I like about the service is the rollover
minutes. I can go with the minimal plan and not have
to worry if I have a particular month where I need to use
more minutes than usual.

The only bad things I hear about AT&T these days is
its coverage in New York City which I can understand.
My iPhone coverage was spotty last time I was in town.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Quote:

Cheap flip phone (LG or Motorola Razr mebbe?). Mifi. iPad.

Or iPad + Skype and no phone.
You're kidding right? That's complex, expensive, and still doesn't do what an iPhone does: integrated phone / ipod / web that fits in my pocket (and my wife's purse).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by DaveF 

Quote:

You're kidding right?  That's complex, expensive, and still doesn't do what an iPhone does: integrated phone / ipod / web that fits in my pocket (and my wife's purse).
Not at all. I'm carrying an iPad and a phone already now. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but the future of mobile for me isn't pocket sized any more

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I read an essay this week which argued that the task-switcher seemed like a useless feature. My experience with my Palm PDA indicates quite the opposite: a good task switcher is more important than actual multitasking. As I've said before, "multitasking" is mostly the ability to quickly and effortlessly switch programs. Actual simultaneous computations in the background are much less important for most people. I'm sure the multitasking system will be great; I expect background GPS to be personally useful. But imagining daily, routine use: multi-tasking dock as task switcher will be a killer feature for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apparently the phone was found on the floor of a San Jose bar inside of an iPhone 3G case.
Maybe the phone's real, but the story sounds bogus. The design doesn't look very "Apple" to me, with the stark edges and chunky buttons. That said, I can believe it's a real phone.

So then...someone finds a prototype of the next hottest thing...and the best they can do are a few blurry, cutoff, blown-out handheld photos? Seriously?

I'd have that thing in my eBay photobox for a full suite of crisp, color-balanced photos. I'd take it apart and show the innards.And I'd get it all posted on my Facebook account just before the APPL-booted gestapo crash through my windows to reclaim what's theirs! :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/18/images-of-iphone-4g-actually-a-japanese-counterfeit/
BS now official.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I never believed it from the beginning.

Didn't even look like an iPhone.

You know, with all these new iPhone releases over the
years nobody has been able to get their hands on early
pictures or specs that were reliable.

Gotta hand it to Apple secrecy.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's often true that you have Japanese knockoffs that are based on the body/type of the iPhone and others, because Apple does none of it's own manufacturering, all of that is outsourced. There are changes, to be sure, but don't be surprised if the final product, with a few differences, looks very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks