What's new

iPhone 4G speculation and rumors (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR ">[/url]
Every try to type one handed driving on a touch screen? :) Or, if you're like me and you manage clients, ever try to type on a touch screen with the phone down at your hip, not looking at it while you talk to someone else, so you can send email back about what a jerk they are? It's easy to do on a keyboard you can navigate with one hand without thinking about it, impossible on a touch screen.
[/QUOTE]You must sign Oprah's pledge not to talk or text while driving, if you must talk, use a headset.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kind of surprised that nobody is complaining that
tethering wasn't discussed in today's conference....

...or were you guys expecting that it wouldn't.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

I was hoping, but not surprised.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov ) His example of having advertising popping up every three minutes was a bit disturbing.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

Tethering wasn't relevant to today's topic. The iPhone OS already supports tethering (was announced last year, IIRC) - it is available in many non-US countries. The continued lack of "legal" (non-jailbroken) tethering in the US is 100% on AT&T.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:

iPhone has tethering. AT&T does not.

Surprised nothing was said about the (maligned) notification system.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

...You want a Verizon iPhone? Buy a no-contract iPhone 3GS or an iPodTouch, plus a Verizon MiFi -- using Skype for all your calls, you now have a Verizon iPhone for $60 per month (the MiFi monthly unlimited data charge).
Maybe I am missing something, but looking at Verizon's site, there is no unlimited data plan for the MiFi. For $60, there is a 5GB cap.

So going forward, I wonder if we can expect every new iPhone OS release to have a major feature that will work on the current generation of phones but not work on older models? Yeah, the processor is too slow, I am sure that is it. It couldn't be that Apple wants people to buy a new phone and lock into another 2 year contract with AT&T. ;)

-KeithP

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker ">[/url]
Maybe I am missing something, but looking at Verizon's site, there is no unlimited data plan for the MiFi. For $60, there is a 5GB cap.[/QUOTE]
Well if someone manages to get > 5GB on AT&T's "unlimited" plan, I salute you. I average 250MB's per month on 3G. Reaching 5GB is science fiction to me.

[QUOTE]mattCR [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/296826/iphone-4g-speculation-and-rumors/90#post_3679044][img]http://www.hometheaterforum.com
Every try to type one handed driving on a touch screen? :)
Not driving, than goodness, but I type one handed (with my right thumb) all the time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No comments from Apple about "resolution independence", which would have been a clear indication of increased resolution.

I keep telling myself I need to learn to do iPhone programming. There are some technical apps I can imagine making for my field. What's annoying is that 16 years ago, I knew a NeXT programmer, knew Obj C, Interface Builder, everything that grew up to become the OS X and iPhone dev tools. But today? It's all gone. Nada.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

Quote:

Well if someone manages to get > 5GB on AT&T's "unlimited" plan, I salute you. I average 250MB's per month on 3G. Reaching 5GB is science fiction to me.
Crap. Last month I was WAY over 5GB.. and I'm on a blackberry. ATT has never said anything to me about it. Is there some magical 5GB barrier they haven't informed me of?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here is the stream for yesterday's Apple OS 4 event

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1004fk8d5gt/event/

Question while I have all of you here....

When would be Apple's next opportunity to announce the
new iPhones?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
WWDC. June.

They could hold a special event but I doubt it. They had to get iPhone OS 4 out of the way this week so they could focus on the new hardware at WWDC. What will they add this go around? Only they know for sure but I'd say the following is likely:
-new form factor (unibody?)
-iChat & front facing camera
-improved file handling
-better cloud support (think revamped .Me and iWork.com)

Sam

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Increased screen resolution
5MP camera
Faster
Increased battery capacity
Reduced cost for all forum users named "DaveF"

mylan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Seems like the perfect time for the first time iPhone buyer!

Well no, flashforward to when they actually release the next iphone and then it will be the perfect time. I am still eagerly awaiting it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I disagree (With Nelson). This seems like a 'tock' year to me, let me explain. iPhone and iPhone 3GS were maaaajor releases while iPhone 3G, which was a year after the original and a year before the 3GS was a minor upgrade. Those who bought their iphones in the first wave hit the contract renewal just in time to upgrade to the new hotness in the 3GS. Those who dragged their feet and settled for the 3G when it came out were caught off guard by just how radical an improvement the 3GS was and many of them decided to sell off their phones to jump to this new model. So like Intel, Apple seems to be on a Tick (major) release year and then Tock (minor bumps and nicety improvements and price drop) year cycle to me.

I was lucky to have skipped the first two years and jumped in on the 3GS on its launch day. So far I think I will be very happy with my iPad and 3GS combo 9both of which will screaaaam on iPhone OS v4) for another year regardless of whatever improvements come in june and I can then hold tight till my contract is up in Mid 2011. Apple is going to have to really wow me then to keep me from getting the cheapest phone I can get from Verizon paired with a MiFi to go along with my iPad. That's a loooong ways out tho, anything can happen, but I'm betting that's how things will go down.

Imagine for a second that there's a REALLY major hardware change this June tho. That will make things interesting. I don't want to be on AT&T until 2012 I can tell you that much! For Apple to temp me into that ball and chain they are going to really have to bowl me over. Should be a fun ride.

So as a new iPhone user you are going to have to ask yourself "Is it worth jumping into the iPhone at this point when that means signing up for 2 years of AT&T knowing that LTE and other improvements are more sure than ever to hit in the mid 2011 time frame, or can I live with the fact that I'll have a pretty neat phone for a year and then jump to whoever has the best deal down the road".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I meant when the iPhone 2010 is announced this June and released sometime later, with OS 4.0, and if it will be a newer and faster processor with better this and that, it seems like a good time for a first time user to jump in.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. Sam, I'll re-read your post and see if I understand what it means to keep going with a 3GS iPhone, though I don't have one myself.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam,
I would have expected this to be a "tock" year, But people like Gruber are suggesting this is to be a major upgrade to the iPhone.

Speculations such as:
iPad A4 chipset
Quadruple the pixel count
Upgrade to 5MP camera

I don't know. If only the screen resolution upgrade happens, this will be a huge upgrade, with a new wave of upgraded iPhone apps to take advantage of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks