What's new

iPhone 4G speculation and rumors (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

Multi + Folders + Unified Inbox

It feels like Apple has made 4.0 a very aggressive effort to address every real usability concern and reaffirm their dominance as the best, easiest to use, most full feature phone on the planet. My initial impression is this is their attempt at the headshot to Android phones.

Couple this with a a 5MP camera and 960x640 screen in the next phone.

And if they release it outside of AT&T

And who would buy any other phone?

That's the feel of the developing story.
I think they've done a great job of making it a very consumer ready phone. I still have no interest at all in giving up the Blackberry.. BES/Exchange Support is something Apple which fits into a market that Apple makes no real effort for (and why should they) but hell, for those of us that need it.. besides that, I simply can't give up a keyboard :) :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can't believe I am sitting here listening about ads on the iPhone. Are we going to get more free aps for the inconvenience of ads?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ads every three minutes? I know it was just an example, but it is one that worries me.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

Can't believe I am sitting here listening about ads on the iPhone. Are we going to get more free aps for the inconvenience of ads?
That is part of the idea by making it more profitable for developers' free apps. The problem is that it sounds to me like this is going to be quite intrusive.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well unless I missed something no word on a charge for this new OS. Os 4 for iPad in Fall.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They previously said iPad gets 4.x for free. iPhone always got OS free. Presumably it will be a paid upgrade for iPod Touch as usual.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No multitasking for the current 3GS? Is this just for the next iPhone?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I think he said the 3GS will get multitasking. The 3G and original are not capable of supporting it. Makes sense to me. The 3GS was a major speed bump over the previous models.

They hit most of my wants with this release. A sensible implementation of multitasking, folders to organize apps, unified Inbox, multiple Exchange accounts, etc. I would have liked to see the ability to customize the Lock screen with live data (widgets), but I guess you can't have everything.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Here's Mac Rumors' summary of which older hardware gets which parts of the new OS:

Public release in summer for iPhone 3GS and 3rd-generation iPod touch. iPhone 3G and 2nd-generation iPod touch will run many of the new features, but not all. Multitasking will be one of the ones that won't be supported on those. Original iPhone and 1st-generation iPod touch apparently left out.
So 3GS DOES get the whole thing, including multitasking. Original iPhone and iPod Touch are stuck on OS 3.0.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think Ars mis-stated the multi-tasking thing, because they wrote that the 3GS won't get multitasking. I've since learned elsewhere, as Craig writes, that 3Gs does get it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The introduction of multiple exchange account support is a major plus. This means it's the only phone other then blackberry to do it. Unanswered is whether or not it supports more then 1 exchange server (location/domain), which impacts fewer people, but is still a used function.

But that sets it apart from Android and everything else except for Blackberry. It's a real move toward enterprise level acceptance. I'll have to see how it does it.. Blackberry's BES is still one of those incredible tools that's hard to replicate, whereas Apple's use of Microsoft's Sync in their last updates is not as strong, if they make that interface clean, the fact that it supports it will attract a lot of users, especially those who, not like me, aren't bothered by the touch screen because they don't type as much.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Since Ron was worried about the ads:
With many iPhone apps there is a free version with ads and a paid version without them. The only thing that is changing here, is that developers will be able to sell ad space on their apps directly through Apple and keep 60% of the revenue which is a much better deal than they get right now.

Ad free apps will still be ad free apps. Apple isn't somehow going to start forcing advertising down anybody's throat.

All the people who make lots of international calls and the Verizon fans can be excited that Skype and other VOIP software will be able to run in background. That means that you can use Skype for 100% of your phone calls if you wish.

You want a Verizon iPhone? Buy a no-contract iPhone 3GS or an iPodTouch, plus a Verizon MiFi -- using Skype for all your calls, you now have a Verizon iPhone for $60 per month (the MiFi monthly unlimited data charge). Or if you talk all the time and have an expensive AT&T voice plan, downgrade to the lowest price one and use Skype to supplement your minutes.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR ... it will attract a lot of users, especially those who, not like me, aren't bothered by the touch screen because they don't type as much.
For those still bothered by the onscreen keyboard (don't get why that would be the case on the horizontal one, but to each their own), Apple officially announced Bluetooth keyboard support.

Look for accessory makers to go wild.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Like I said, I was prepared to be underwhelmed today and with the exception of having to wait until Fall for iPad on V4 today was very very good.

I like the iPhone keyboard, i will never use bluetooth with it, but glad it's there for those who want it.

I use very few 'lite' apps that have advertising in them, but for those that do use ad support you can be sure that Apple won't be sinking to lower tier ad placement, it will be all top notch. This is a huge win for the non technical user, they will get cheaper apps and less crummy ads. And people like me will still buy full price apps that are ad free. Wins for everyone. Hooray!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

Quote:

For those still bothered by the onscreen keyboard (don't get why that would be the case on the horizontal one, but to each their own), Apple officially announced Bluetooth keyboard support.

Look for accessory makers to go wild.
Every try to type one handed driving on a touch screen? :) Or, if you're like me and you manage clients, ever try to type on a touch screen with the phone down at your hip, not looking at it while you talk to someone else, so you can send email back about what a jerk they are? It's easy to do on a keyboard you can navigate with one hand without thinking about it, impossible on a touch screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks