What's new

Official Apple Fall 2011 Keynote Announcements and Discussion: "Let's Talk iPhone!" (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm hard to impress and I gotta say this seems like a totally sweet update to the camera subsystem. 1080p video and image stabilization. If only we could get 1080p from the Apple Store, ya think?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The statement "We're better then DSLR on Flickr" is a bit like saying a 4:3 show is better on a 17" Color Tube TV

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
iPhone 3gs lives on (DUHHHHH!) Free on contract tho. iPhone 4 16gb $99 iPhone 4s 16 $199 32 $299 64 $399 Sprint is now go Preorders on the 7th, ships the 14th

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I don't know why they inserted "better" then DSLR and other cameras.. on Flickr? Headscratcher. And 8MP is good.. but there are a lot of phones out now with 8MP, and no matter what, a Phone's camera is frankly still suck compared to a real camera. So it's a nice tool.

I thought this was kind of a let down. I didn't see anything really major or astonishing here. The 4S is a slimmed down 4 with a faster processor.

The "Cards" app may be one of the dumbest things I've seen Apple roll out in years.. an App that will let you send a greeting card via snail mail from your phone? Who's backing that? The USPS? Hallmark shaking in their boots?

The biggest announcements were cost, which is a big plus.. but if you're already holding an iPhone4, I don't see any really compelling reason to jump

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I guess I was a little more impressed than what others are saying but the small screen is a disappointment. However, I am sure it will probably still sell in large numbers.

It will be interesting to see the full reviews once the phone ships, although without a bigger screen I don't think I will be buying one.

-KeithP

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sprint better hope it sells in large numbers; they committed to 30 Million of them... they are going to basically give the 4S out at a way cheaper price then anyone in hopes of luring customers.

Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

I guess I was a little more impressed than what others are saying but the small screen is a disappointment. However, I am sure it will probably still sell in large numbers.

It will be interesting to see the full reviews once the phone ships, although without a bigger screen I don't think I will be buying one.

-KeithP

/t/315239/official-apple-fall-2011-...d-discussion-lets-talk-iphone/30#post_3857379

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I did'nt get the 3GS whe I had a 3 and I won't be getting the 4s I'll wait for the iPhone 5 then decide if I want to go to sprint. Most of the features I'll get with the iOS update and I can live with the inferior camera as I don't take slot of pictures. more interested in a retina display iPad 3 at this point.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Apple stock is down 4% and falling BTW.

A major buying opportunity, no doubt, but mainly another in a series of indictions that most equity investors are beyond clueless. Apple has clearly moved to expand their addressable iPhone market as aggressively as possible which will lead to yet more record quarters. In Siri, they yet again have a feature no one else has, and won't for a while (but, but, but … Android has had voice recognition for ages!!! --- yeah and no one uses it along with Dragon on the current iPhone). Siri will actually get used.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have a iPhone 3GS, so I'm definitely upgrading. Got my number one wish: 64GB See you again in two years for the 128GB iPhone 5S

The only unanswered question: will it be sold unlocked?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by mattCR

Sprint better hope it sells in large numbers; they committed to 30 Million of them... they are going to basically give the 4S out at a way cheaper price then anyone in hopes of luring customers.

The Sprint deal spans four years so there is going to be a mix of iPhone models covered in that agreement. I keep forgetting about Sprint but they were the first carrier that I bought a cell phone from before I switched to Cingular (chasing a phone Sprint didn't carry) and I was always happy with them. Hopefully getting the iPhone will help them out, I would hate to see them go away or swallowed up by a larger carrier.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks