What's new

Official Apple Fall 2011 Keynote Announcements and Discussion: "Let's Talk iPhone!" (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ted, Windows Phone 7 has had TellMe now for several weeks, and it accepts numerous languages. Siri is in Beta it will only be iPhone4S until it's out of Beta.. GoogleV has been out through the summer for peole who wanted to try a beta voice control. So it's hard to say 'which no one has".

MS's Tellme is VERY good, and the reviews of it have been very good.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2099488/microsoft-windows-phone-mango-voice

http://www.mwdd.com/apps/microsoft-tellme-app-uses-voice-for-navigation-and-texting-in-mango/

I've used voice dictation software for almost fifteen; starting when IBM offered Dragon Dictate. WP7.5's method is better then anything I've used.. and I'm not alone, most of the reviews (Engadget, etc.) all comment on that fact. So it's not "first by laps"
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

Quote:

A major buying opportunity, no doubt, but mainly another in a series of indictions that most equity investors are beyond clueless. Apple has clearly moved to expand their addressable iPhone market as aggressively as possible which will lead to yet more record quarters. In Siri, they yet again have a feature no one else has, and won't for a while (but, but, but … Android has had voice recognition for ages!!! --- yeah and no one uses it along with Dragon on the current iPhone). Siri will actually get used.

/t/315239/official-apple-fall-2011-...d-discussion-lets-talk-iphone/30#post_3857394

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Siri was on iphone for months dont forget, its go e today. The tradeoff is that its now baked into the OS. Can anyone confirm is it 4s exclusive?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/sorry-iphone-4-owners-siri-will-be-exclusive-to-the-iphone-4s-2011104/

With Apple’s demonstration of the Siri voice assistant highlighting today’s announcement of the iPhone 4S, it wasn’t immediately clear whether it would be available on all iOS devices, or just on the iPhone 4S. It now looks like Apple is presenting Siri as the killer feature of the 4S, because that’s the only device that will be toting the personal assistant.

Would Siri be technically capable of running on an iPhone 4? I’m sure. Would it be able to do so seamlessly, without any hiccups? I’m thinking not, and that’s part of the reason Apple is tying it exclusively to their latest iPhone update.

CNET and others also say the same.. that it's a 4S exclusive and still considered Beta..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20115517-37/apple-iphone-4s-personal-assistant-siri/

I'm aware there was available... I was just refuting the "and no one will have for months.." which isn't quite the case. And Apple lags badly behind in the number of languages etc. supported.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

Ted, Windows Phone 7 has had TellMe now for several weeks, and it accepts numerous languages.
... WP7.5's method is better then anything I've used.. and I'm not alone, most of the reviews (Engadget, etc.) all comment on that fact. So it's not "first by laps"

I accept the absolute and complete truth of your words -- but I stand by mine -- if Siri works it will be the first one anyone actually uses, since no one uses WP7… I know it drives people insane ("but Windows Mobile had features A to Z for years and years!!!") but Apple produced the usable by regular people version. I'm betting the same thing happens here as well (and I don't mean to imply that WP7 is user hostile like WinMo was, but it does have an even smaller audience then WinMo.)

The context of my post was Apple's stock tanking, to further clarify where I'm coming from -- WP7 being better is not material to Apple or for that matter Microsoft stock. MS is after all abandoning it for Windows 8 everywhere.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
@asymco (Horace Dediu) on Twitter:

"Apple's biggest (recent) share price drops were following the switch to Intel and the original launch of the MacBook AIr"

"The last time I saw this much disappointment with a keynote event was at the iPad launch"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
One thing nobody mentioned yet: Ipod classic still lives! Im thinking if its going to be 18 months till iphone 5 i might as well go back to verizon at the start of 4s. Will have to run the ETF and Gazelle numbers tonight. Siri and the camera would be a bonus, not a considered factor for me.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'm not going to savage this update because I really like the A5 and the better camera, but I'm pretty sure I'll sit out this one and wait for an LTE version. But I've said that about other product updates before. :D It's a no brainer for the people I know that still have the 3 and 3GS.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm back to waiting. I forgot you can't do Voice and Data at the same time on Verizon without LTE, even with the antenna improvements here. Dealbreaker.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nobody has mentioned yet how close the voice is to Xtranormal.com - this will not end well =) Keynote posted: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piuhbvdlbkvoih10/event/index.html Tons of new videos and pages up: http://www.apple.com/iphone/ http://www.apple.com/ios/ http://www.apple.com/icloud/#video-icloud http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Other stuff: $99 Apple care+ for klutzes who break glass (like me): http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575#overview If you are disappointed you are crazy: http://www.splatf.com/2011/10/iphone-4s/ Whut happened to facebook? http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/04/facebook-apple-event/ Hands on: http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/04/iphone-4s-hands-on-impressions/

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about it some more after watching the keynote. I think it's a pretty good upgrade. For the people that have not upgraded to the 4, the 4s is a huge upgrade. The iOS will be great also. It's not a sexy upgrade, but I didn't expect a major phone upgrade every year, however all the misinformation had me hoping for one. If this time next year there is not a new iPhone with larger screen, etc, then I would officially be unimpressed.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I’ll be upgrading but only to the 16GB model but if I had an iPhone 4 I would not bother. As it is I have the original iPhone and probably wouldn’t upgrade if it were not for the fact that several of my favorite apps no longer work on the original iPhone.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I think this quote below about Chinese reaction to the phone sums up perfectly most of the backlash here in the States as well. Sure, some people are pissed that they aren't getting a larger screen or LTE right NOW, but for most of those bitching, it's about image...they can't pull out a 4S in public and have everyone look at them and say "Ohhhh look...he's got an iPhone 4S." “‘If we can’t show off with it, what’s the point of buying one?’ The iPhone 4S’s design has no major difference from the iPhone 4. This a major reason why the 4S won’t be welcomed in China. Vain people don’t care about features, they care about how it looks.”

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

TIMN:
This video is inspiring, but it's tough to get over the minor update after more than a year of seeing the iPhone 4.

I know, right? It's like that lousy iPad 1S, with its meager A5 and camera update.

Or: I think some pundits would've been happier if Apple simply given the iPhone 4 a hot new body with no internal upgrades.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR

I thought this was kind of a let down. I didn't see anything really major or astonishing here. The 4S is a slimmed down 4 with a faster processor.

[...]

The biggest announcements were cost, which is a big plus.. but if you're already holding an iPhone4, I don't see any really compelling reason to jump

Apple is at risk of being sunk by their own past successes. But I'm impressed and wish I could upgrade this new phone for my of iPhone 4: big performance boost. Major camera upgrade where it matters most, indoors in low light photography (my iPhone is my camera).Siri. 64 GB. even better battery life than the current phone that has the best battery life on the market.

No, it doesn't reinvent our national commerce system with a new NFC credit card thingy, nor does it bring 4G to those that want it. And it doesn't have an amazing physical design to impress friends with. But I think this is a very nice and attractive upgrade.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
2/3 of people in the US don't have a smartphone and 90% of all americans don't have an iPhone (read from a link on this post). I think they would consider this a big upgrade. All this does is sets the bar extremely high for next year. They added additional features to an existing phone this year, next year they will need a new look, new screen, new features. Basically they will need to do with the iPhone 4 did the the 3GS. Even if they revamp the iPhone next year with an iphone 5, I wouldn't expect a huge upgrade the following year. Probably would be an iPhone 5S.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think the media, bloggers and fan boys just went nuts over speculating and creating specs and CAD models of the then unknown iPhone 5 that reality just could not measure up to the fantasy. Whoever created that iPhone 5 CAD model really pulled a lot of people's legs to the point that case makers actually thought it was real and invested in tooling to mold cases in that iPad 2 shape! The iPhone 3 debuted in mid 2008, had an upgrade to 3GS in mid 2009 and was discontinued in mid 2010. The iPhone 4 debuts in mid 2010 and we are in late 2011. The cycle of development is on par with the past and the ramping up of features has been pretty cool. Actually, from what I can see, a bigger jump then the iPhone 3 to 3GS. Siri, the camera, the A5 chip, that's a healthy upgrade! And I saw no reason for a new handset design this soon and it would probably upset a lot of people who got the iPhone 4 on day of release. Apple does not replace the industrial design that fast! The MBP design has been around for several years, same with the G5 that evolved into the Mac Pros. The iMac saw a very nice incremental evolution in it's design. I have the iPhone 4 since debut day and I'm excited about the 4s, but I can wait for either when my contract to end in 8 or so months or wait till the next iteration, be it iPhone 4gs or iPhone 5. But it appears that the iPhone has become such a status symbol for some that yesterday's announcement cannot possibly satisfy expectations. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
At&t tells me I'm eligible to upgrade now. Gazelle is offering $249 for a pristine iPhone 4. I think i might do it, going back and forth... I'll just eat the ETF or pay to keep this phone until contract end giving it to my nephew. It's going to be 12 months minimum till the 5, probably closer to 18. The alternatives are to keep riding it our with the 4, or to get an LTE Droid on Verizon soon and get the next iPhone rev on V when it comes out. Grrrr.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I did the same I went to Gazelle getting 205 for my Iphone, which is nearly pristine. a Hundred Dollars to upgrade I figure the new Features are worth that, plus I get to use my existing Morphie Juice Case so I save another $79 bucks there not having to get a new case for a redesigned phone. Now do I want Black or White. I'll prob go blackagain cause the whites always seem to cause delays and I need my Phone ASAP so I can mail the other to gazelle. Question How do I retain the same number and basically just swap the 4S for the 4? I was almost going to go Android, I have an Asus Tablet with Honeycomb on it and Android is OK, but the apps don't approach Iphone levels, and the Samsung Galaxy IIs has most of the features of the 4s and the upgrade cost would be around $99-$149 bucks, but I have an investment in Apple being I have an Imac and Macbook Airs. I will prob take advantage of the Icloud if its anything like Amazons service that allows you to upload MP3's and it doesnnt count toward your limit. For $20 I get 20 gb's and I have 25gb's worth of MP3's up there that do not count toward it, thats nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks