What's new

No AppleTV update an Apple event yesterday (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
There were lot's of rumors about a new Apple TV and hope for a real HDTV from Apple. However, nothing from the event yesterday...

From this point of view, it might seem realistic why nothing is happening with Apple TV.

[*]Apple is not a content provider. Competitors like Microsoft, Amazon, Hulu and Yahoo have all experimented or are actively producing content to be streamed.
[*]Apple is not a cable provider. As Microsoft found out, it's next to impossible to try to get in the same business or even partner with cable / satellite or networks to transmit content.
[/list]
So, what is left for Apple? Maybe the could mimic what XBox does with Comcast, allowing you to get all of you TV in one place. Of course that has a limited audience to just folks that have Comcast. However, game consoles are the most popular way to watch online video, followed by Blu-ray players and the in last place, set top boxes. Apple TV only leads Roku in this area by a small margin.

Maybe Apple TV would take the XBox One approach with HDMI in, thus merging cord content with online content. The problem with this "value add" (and we will find out after XBox One ships how relevant it is) is that surveys show that most people are content with their existing cable/satellite set top box. Maybe it is the Stockholm syndrome, but people have become accustom with the remote control and UI interface on the HDTV and don't care about switching?

At any rate, I was hoping for a real Apple TV -- I'm wondering if we will ever see it.

How many own an Apple TV? I just bricked mine on the last SW update --- have to do some hoops to get it back running...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have an Apple TV on two TVs including the spec bump that came out this year. I use it for iTunes content, streaming movies and TV shows, Netflix, and so on. I also have a Roku 2 XS which is mostly gathering dust except for Amazon Prime streaming.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've got three and they are fine for what they provide and getting more functionality each patch. I'm in no hurry for the 'real' Apple TV or an iWatch. Apple worked for 5+ years before they introduced the iPhone and have updated it with ridiculous new functionality every year like clockwork. When Apple produces their real next category, and they will, it will be unlike anything we are expecting and yet still incomplete. And they will chip away at the dings the so called critics and pundits lay at their feet at how they are "useless without x".

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I've had my apple to for a few days and Luv it. I use match to have access to all my music , plus the airplay feature is awesome !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks