What's new

iPhone 11 and 11 Pro / Max owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As far as taking the picture goes, iOS 14 allows you to dial in a limited amount of exposure compensation .
Is it possible to eliminate it altogether? What I have in mind are the red, Blade Runner 2049 skies the Bay Area in California had recently - it was virtually impossible to take iPhone photos of it -- because the software was refusing to believe the sky could be that color. All the good photos come from fancy SLRs where all auto correction could be turned off

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Is it possible to eliminate it altogether? What I have in mind are the red, Blade Runner 2049 skies the Bay Area in California had recently - it was virtually impossible to take iPhone photos of it -- because the software was refusing to believe the sky could be that color. All the good photos come from fancy SLRs where all auto correction could be turned off

I don't have an iPhone 11, but I found this . It's an article about how to get some manual control over iPhone cameras. (The site keeps popping up annoying ads, but there's some useful information in the free article.)

The problem that people are having with photographing red skies seems to be due to automatic white balance. The article says that you can't turn that off when you are using the standard Camera app. However, there are other apps, like the Camera+2 app, that give you more control over the white balance. (Whether that or other third-party camera apps give you enough control to easily photograph red skies, I don't know. But it sounds as though people who want more control might do well to research reviews of third-party camera apps.)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is a combo phone and watch question. I want to add another photo for my watch 4. I’ve done it before it’s easy. However this time not so easy because I don’t like the automatic crop the phone (or watch) does. I google how to edit photo for the watch. Every hit I find says edit, crop, select 4:5 ratio. Well that ratio is never one of the listed options.

I’m doing this in the photos app.

What am I doing wrong?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
This is a combo phone and watch question. I want to add another photo for my watch 4. I’ve done it before it’s easy. However this time not so easy because I don’t like the automatic crop the phone (or watch) does. I google how to edit photo for the watch. Every hit I find says edit, crop, select 4:5 ratio. Well that ratio is never one of the listed options.

I’m doing this in the photos app.

What am I doing wrong?

There may not be a 4:5 or 5:4 choice, but there is a Custom one. Use "Custom" to select the desired crop aspect ratio.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There may not be a 4:5 or 5:4 choice, but there is a Custom one. Use "Custom" to select the desired crop aspect ratio.
Where is that Custom? I just used photos to Edit, Crop (at bottom of screen), Ratio (my name, at top of screen). Options available are Original, Freeform (crop by dragging Corners), Ssquare, 9:16, 8:10, 5:7, 3:4, 3:5, 2:3. Wait, Isn’t 8:10 the same as 4:5? -_- However, there is no Custom selection that I can type figures into.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Where is that Custom?

At the bottom of the Aspect menu. (Photos version 3.0 (3291.13.230); High Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G14019)). If you want to type in numbers, you must click on the Custom label to get the data entry fields to appear.

CustomAspect.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
At the bottom of the Aspect menu. (Photos version 3.0 (3291.13.230); High Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G14019)). If you want to type in numbers, you must click on the Custom label to get the data entry fields to appear.

View attachment 79311
Maybe the problem is caused by the fact I’m using Photos on the iphone?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve got a wifi question. I have a 2-channel 2.4 and 5 modem. I have my 11 Pro Max connected to the 5 channel. If I leave the house and the phone connects to another public wifi, i.e. a doctors office, those are probably only 2.4. When I return home the phone connects to the 2.4 channel. Just now I walked the dog and I don’t think the phone connected to anything. It reconnected to the 5 channel.

Is there anyway I can make the phone automatically connect to my 5 channel?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve got a wifi question. I have a 2-channel 2.4 and 5 modem. I have my 11 Pro Max connected to the 5 channel. If I leave the house and the phone connects to another public wifi, i.e. a doctors office, those are probably only 2.4. When I return home the phone connects to the 2.4 channel. Just now I walked the dog and I don’t think the phone connected to anything. It reconnected to the 5 channel.

Is there anyway I can make the phone automatically connect to my 5 channel?
Not from the iPhone itself without first making a change on your router. You would have to do one of three things.

1. Create two separate SSIDs (networks) with different names and set one of them for 2.4Ghz and the other for 5Ghz. Allow your iPhone to automatically connect to the 5Ghz network. This is assuming your router supports that feature.

2. Go into the router setup and disable 2.4Ghz which would force your iPhone and every other 5Ghz capable device in your home to connect on the 5Ghz band. You would lose connectivity to any device that does not support 5Ghz. You might also have a shorter range as 5Ghz doesn’t penetrate walls as well as 2.4Ghz. This is assuming your router supports that feature.

3. Enable band steering on your router, which is a feature that tries to force newer devices to the 5Ghz band. This is assuming your router supports that feature.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Not from the iPhone itself without first making a change on your router. You would have to do one of three things.

1. Create two separate SSIDs (networks) with different names and set one of them for 2.4Ghz and the other for 5Ghz. Allow your iPhone to automatically connect to the 5Ghz network. This is assuming your router supports that feature.

2. Go into the router setup and disable 2.4Ghz which would force your iPhone and every other 5Ghz capable device in your home to connect on the 5Ghz band. You would lose connectivity to any device that does not support 5Ghz. You might also have a shorter range as 5Ghz doesn’t penetrate walls as well as 2.4Ghz. This is assuming your router supports that feature.

3. Enable band steering on your router, which is a feature that tries to force newer devices to the 5Ghz band. This is assuming your router supports that feature.
Number 2 is out of the queston, as I have 2.4 devices as I’m sure many do. Don’t know whether my router does band steering. For number one, I have already created 2 separate SSIDs with different names and different speeds. I am allowing my phone to automatically connect, but it will often connect to the slower channel. I wish there was a setting in the phone to tell it to favor the faster speed.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Number 2 is out of the queston, as I have 2.4 devices as I’m sure many do. Don’t know whether my router does band steering. For number one, I have already created 2 separate SSIDs with different names and different speeds. I am allowing my phone to automatically connect, but it will often connect to the slower channel. I wish there was a setting in the phone to tell it to favor the faster speed.
On your iPhone, Turn off auto-join on the 2.4Ghz network and leave it on for the 5Ghz network.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just spotted this...

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I recently was looking at my list of contacts in Messages. I noticed that several had the moon symbol on them indicating they were “do not disturb” and wouldn’t give me a sound notification when I received a message. After googling I found out how to turn that off for each one.

That leaves me wondering how that got turned on at all. I don’t think I intentialy did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks