What's new

Instead of an Outlaw 950 I'm buying an Audi... (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What ever you do, don't get the auto. It drains the HP out the vehicle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is true of any performance car.
Absolutely true but its even more evident in the WRX.

Patrick

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Great thread! Let's see, I use to own a '97 Mustang GT, and traded it in for a '99.5 A4 2.8 Quattro 5-speed. Unfortuately she's at the dealer for a check eninge light and hard start problem... and my warranty expired (55,400 miles). Hope it's not a pricey repair... it's only a lease so it goes back in Dec.
My main choice for my next car is a WRX, followed by a 1.8T Quattro, and moving up the list quickly is the G35 coupe. I origianlly liked the 350Z, but figured it would be useless as my main car... lack of any utility what-so-ever... but the G35 I can live with.
But the price & performance of WRX is impossible to beat... so many choices. I just have to do a lot of test driving, and I have plenty of time still to make up my mind.
Check out these sites:
http://www.audiworld.com for Audi's... (duh)
http://www.i-club.com for Subraru

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mike,

If your looking for straight performance for the buck then the WRX is great. But, since your coming from an A4 your going to take big hit in the luxury side of things. Its a big step down to go from an A4 to a WRX in terms of luxury.

The G35 is very nice but its a bigger vehicle than either the A4 or the WRX. It has a hell of an engine though and distinctive looks.

The new A4's are very nice. Drove a 3.0 and loved it. The 1.8T is great and with the mods you can do on it you'll easily be able to get over 200hp with a chip and exhaust.

Check out the S60 T5 as well. It moves quite well and the luxury is up there with the A4.

The 3-series BMW's are great but there just that much more expensive.

Patrick

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Patrick,
Yes, the luxury would be missed with the WRX. But I do crave performace cars. The 2.8 was no slouch... I have the optional sport package, and the car hardly leans through fast turns. The engine is okay, it has enough passing power, but I want more :)
With that in mind, the big turn off of the 1.8T is the 170HP... yes, I can chip. But chipping the '02 models is still in the early stages. And there were some heated debates over at audiworld.com between owners, and manfacturers on fuel delivery issues. Still too early for me to put faith in a chip on a turbo engine... especially since I'm having problems with a naturally aspirated V6.
I didn't know the G35 was bigger than the A4. I thought the sedan was roughly the same size as the A4, since it competes in the same segement, and that the G35 coupe would be the equivilent of a BWM 3 series coupe.
Speaking of the 3 series, too much $$$$$ for me. My next car I'll be finacing rather than leasing, so I'd like to stay under 30K. I will never, ever lease a car again (at least in the near future). I put so many miles on it, more than the expected 18,000/yr I paid for. I can thank my girlfriend of 1 year for that... she's lives just outside Philly, and I'm near Atlantic City.
No go for the Volvo for me... it's FWD. I considered the Acura RSX as a balance between luxury and performace, but I can't see myself buying a FWD car... either RWD or AWD for me. And yes, Volvo make an AWD model, but it's only avaible in an Auto (I might be mistaken), and it's front wheel drive until it detects slippage, then engages the rear wheels. I like the near 50/50 split offered by the Audi & WRX.
Mike

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Volvo does have an AWD with a 5-speed, but its a 35k or so car (tricked out S60 if I recall)

Why does the Mach 1000 take up too much truck space? What does it entail for it shouldn't seem like it can be THAT big?!?!

Brian

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
The Mach 1000 has 2+ subwoofers on the right and left side of the trunk... something like 10"+ subs... And I think larger amps... which hung down... I had a Mach 460 in my 99 Mustang... and the new 460 in my 02 GT sounds better... But it is a new in dash model (6 stack in the dash)... I thought the old 460 was LOUD... so I couldn't imagine the LOUDNESS of a Mach 1000... The car is to small for that much power... And I'm only 27...

Bill

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mike, if its performance you want than the WRX is a good one.

I own the S60 AWD and it is basically a FWD vehicle until slippage occurs so its not performance oriented AWD like the A4 Quattro but its still pretty damn good if you get the 17" wheels.

Guys, Puhlease take your posts to one of the sites mentioned above.
Aslam, no offence but if you don't like it, don't click on the thread. Its not like its a hijacked thread since you can tell its about a car in the title.

Patrick

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

Is a manual avaible on your particular model? Also, can you tell when the power to the rear kicks in? I'm curios because it's not noticable on Quattro when power shifts to the front or rear, and side to side.

Yes, I favor the WRX heavily. As many cars as I like, I know in the end the WRX will win because of price & value. And it would be the only car that I'd regret not getting.

Whatever the case, I think the next 6 month's and on are going to great times to be a car buyer. It seems we are finally going to get back performace cars that have been MIA in the last few years in light of the SUV maddness. Lancer EVO, 350z, WRX STi, RX-8, etc...

I just hope they all stick around this time and steal sales away from SUV's. I'm about sick of seeing them on the road.

Mike

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mike,

You absolutely do not notice when the torque shift from front to rear or from tire to tire for that matter since each is fully independent with the DSTC. I think it shifts torque with a slip as little as 15 degrees which is pretty darn small. Upon full throttle acceleration the torque splits 50/50 front and rear.

Unfortunately the AWD does not come in anything but the 5 speed geartronic. Its pretty good for a manumatic but not as quick as the BMW SMG for instance.

Since your in Jersey you'll get some snow. The DSTC is incredible for the snow. I went flying around a long bank with slush all over the road back in March and it kept the sucker going along my intended curve. It was a bit nerve racking to try but it was impressive.

You don't really notice that its a FWD except for the fact that the gas mileage is better than on a full time AWD.

The only thing I wish my car had was the sport suspension which would lower it back to the same as a T5. Its jacked up 0.6" in the front and 1.4" in the back. I'm inquiring about that and some 18" wheels.

Good luck with your purchase. A Lancer EVO would be awesome too.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks