Insomnia/Blockbuster?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatS, Oct 20, 2002.

1. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

the BB I went to had P&S as the only format for rent ......

is this an isolated incident or a larger problem?

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Mat,

My local Blockbuster had about 4 copies widescreen and the rest pan and scan. It disappoints me that they only had 4 widescreen copies, but it is better than places that refuse to carry widescreen at all (i.e. some Blockbusters and Movie Gallery).

3. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

thanx for the answer Brandon....it is unfortunate there were 0 widescreen versions at the location I visited

4. Walter A. Smith

Walter A. Smith Auditioning

My blockbuster (fort worth TX)only had p&s.I didn't get a chance to ask about it or check out any other blockbuster locations, but this is the first p&s only that this location has had since Jurassic Park III.I hope this isn't going to start again.

5. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

our BBV typically has wide screen version of movies. so when I got the insomia, I didn't pay attention at all and only when I played it I found it's P/S... I went back for an exchange but they only had P/S! I showed my disappointment to them...

6. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

The 3 blockbusters I frequent had P&Scam Insomnia only, but WS version only of Murder by Numbers, so it's strange.
    Plus don't you hate how they now mixed their new release DVD with VHS together, I assume it's everywhere as it is in all 3 I visited.

7. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

"Plus don't you hate how they now mixed their new release DVD with VHS together"
    Yup, when I expressed my displeasure I was given three reasons. It came from corporate, it's easier for them when they put the video's back on the shelves and customers like it that way. I guess I was to pick the reason I liked [​IMG]
    And Insomnia is fs only, I told them I would rent it somewhere else.

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    When I went to BBV on Tuesday of last week, they didn't have Insomnia DVDs at all! Just an empty space next to the Insomnia VHS's.
    If it's P&S/FS at BBV again, that sucks. But at least it will allow the better independents to shine.

9. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

Pan and Scan only in Reno - bummer.....

Rich

10. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I guess I'm very fortunate so far. Not only has my local Blockbuster kept their DVDs and VHS separate, but they have also (so far) continued to purchase DVDs only in widescreen when available. They always did offer widescreen only, even when most corporate stores were providing fullframe copies only. My local store is a franchise, not a corporate store, so perhaps that is why the owner can show some independence and do things the way he wants. Apparently, widescreen and separate DVD/VHS sections is what he wants, and that's fine with me.

Steve K.

11. Augustin Rodriguez

I went into my local Blockbuster and they too had the P&S version only. I went and complained to the manager and he thought I was complaining about the widescreen version only being available. He then started to tell me that the widescreen version was only available because there are trying to get people to buy widescreen TVs.

What an asshole. Talk about being misinformed. I hate going to Blockbuster, but have to because I do not want to wait it out for online rental companies to send me new release copies when and if they are in stock.

I just wish 2006 was here already so everyone would have to watch programming in 16x9 and no one could complain about it. I'm sure they still will.

12. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

My Blockbuster got only P+S here in Orlando. They will also only have Mr. Deeds in fullscreen. There was another thread that stated that all Warner dual releases will be fullscreen only at Blockbuster, so far it looks like it's happening.

13. AndyDL

AndyDL Stunt Coordinator

Fullscreen only also here in east Mesa, AZ.

Haven't gone to Blockbuster in months since I joined Netflix.

Bye bye Blockbuster.

Andy

14. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Thats a bummer. Blockbuster was widescreen only since A.I.'s release back in January I think. I noticed that they only had FS Scobby Doo's but I wrote this off as a "family film" policy. Sucks to know that they only have P&S Insomnia. I need to act surprised and find the manager.

15. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Mr. Deeds P&S only for rent last night at the same location but widescreen only for sale. They also oddly enough had both the rated and unrated versions of Y Tu Mama Tambien.

16. Joe Acevedo

Joe Acevedo Agent

My Blockbuster only had fullscreen copies of Insomnia for rent, but they had mostly widescreen copies for sale.

I almost bought the movie just so I could see it properly. Instead, I just rented something else.

17. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

My blockbuster carries no full-frame releases of films anymore. I don't rent from there anyway, but I was very angered to see this when I went in with a couple of friends just to see if there were any cheap previously viewed movies.

18. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    This irritated me to no end. I can see it for so-called "family" titles, but Insomnia is just not one of those...

19. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

20. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Get this. I rented Insomnia @ BBV, and on the case it said LTBX. To ME that means freakin LETTERBOX. Of course it wasn't. Needless to say, I was PISSED. I asked my Wife to get a credit, and she blew it off. GRRR...