What's new

Blockbuster completely shafted us (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit

I wrote Blockbuster recently, complaining about Insomnia being available
from Blockbuster only in FS. Here is their response. I guess I will be going
to Hollywood Video from now on.

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail. Customer feedback is very important to us and we
are
glad you took the time to write.

The movie studios determine whether or not to release their DVDs in standard
(full-screen) or wide-screen versions. It is our preference, and the
preference
of our customers that because of the versatility and storage capacity of DVD
technology, DVDs include both versions on one disc. In the past, when the
studios have chosen to release separate standard and wide-screen version
DVDs,
it has caused confusion amongst our customers. To minimize our customer
dissatisfaction, we have chosen to carry only one version of a title on DVD,
and
our research has shown that more customers prefer the standard than the
wide-screen version. We take your comments and suggestions as a welcome show
of
interest and loyalty. We are forwarding your comments to the appropriate
department for their review.

At Blockbuster, we realize that nothing is more important than our members
are
and we value your good will and continued support. Thank you for your
interest
in Blockbuster. If you need further assistance, please contact your local
Blockbuster store. Our employees are empowered, authorized, and expected to
take care of customers.

Sincerely,
Blockbuster Consumer Services

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Just a standard, pre-scripted response that they send out to just about all emails regarding OAR.
And yet, it still strikes me as funny that this is their first line:
Thank you for your e-mail. Customer feedback is very important to us and we are glad you took the time to write.
Real appreciation is always shown by replying with stock responses, don't you agree? ;)
Bruce

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
This battle is un-winable until more people have WS sets. I find it hard to beleive that Europe has had 16:9 sets as the norm for years now and there are still so very few here.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
After reading that, I vow to NEVER rent at Blockbuster again.

The employees there have no idea about OAR and do nothing to inform the customer about it, therefore customers do get confused.

Blockbuster equals sucks.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>This battle is un-winable until more people have WS sets. I find it hard to beleive that Europe has had 16:9 sets as the norm for years now and there are still so very few here. >

Heh, may have been the norm in Japan too. I was watching a few of the 'newer' Dragonball Z episodes that where produced around 1995. In it, all characters are seen watching widescreen sets, paper thin ones to boot.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>After reading that, I vow to NEVER rent at Blockbuster again. >
I stopped renting from Blockbuster as soon as DVD came out ;). I still remember the last tape too. Happy New Year, Mr.Bean! Ater that, my Blockbuster card has been gathering dust for the last 5 years.

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see any flaws in Blockbuster's reasoning, based on their response. Of course you feel slighted by the cookie-cutter reply. This is a huge company, and if one of their pre-scripted emails is appropriate, they will use it. Their goal, like any corporation, is to turn a profit for their shareholders. To expect Blockbuster to sacrifice revenue in the name of luring customers to the OAR side is irrational.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>To expect Blockbuster to sacrifice revenue in the name of luring customers to the OAR side is irrational.
>
I was thinking about this while reading this thread... Maby one of us with more time on their hands, can set up a table outside BBV, educating people on OAR. We could call it OAR Education Week ;).

SteveA

Supporting Actor
That's funny - the Blockbusters around here have been stocking widescreen only for about the last year or so, after the first round of complaints about only carrying full screen releases. I hope they haven't reversed their decision.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
In my neck of the woods (Saskatchewan Canada) our Blockbuster seems to be different as they tend to stock multple versions whereas some of the smaller franchises are going pretty much P&S :angry: . The wife and I went out last night to pick up a flick at VHQ which used to be a locally owned business but bought out by a bigger co. Anyway 0 WS copies of Queen of the Damned 10 PS copies. 14 PS copies of Insomnia 4 WS. Blockbuster had sightly closer to a 50/50 split on both titles. I told the clerks at VHQ that if they want to keep me as a customer they had better get some WS versions. She said that they just take what head office sends. I told her that maybe they should contact Head Office and request multiple versions as they are getting complaints from customers. With a small lineup behind me a made sure I spoke loudly enough for them to here me say that when I spend my $6 I prefer to see the whole movie:D

David James

Stunt Coordinator
"After reading that, I vow to NEVER rent at Blockbuster again.

I stopped renting from Blockbuster as soon as DVD came out . I still remember the last tape too. Happy New Year, Mr.Bean! Ater that, my Blockbuster card has been gathering dust for the last 5 years. "

Then you are guaranteeing victory for the p&s crowd. I rent from them, when they do things like this I don't rent the product and tell them they are losing my business. I reward them with my money when they provide the product I want and tell them they are losing money when they don't.

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
I've steered clear of all the blockbuster/wallmart bash threads; but what the hell, I'll put in my two cents. To be sure I am an OAR enthusiast and since my dive into the dvd world two years ago have not rented or purchased a non OAR dvd. I do however rent and purchace (when not online) from the two above mentioned retailers almost exlusively. Where I live and what I make it's all about availability for a good price. I have experienced little problem getting the dvd I want in it's OAR. That's not too say my blockbuster has not offended in the no widscreen department, they have recently with death to smootchy; but that is the only dvd i have thought about renting that i couldn't get in WS. I complained; but still rent there. To me the best thing I can do is make a statement with my dollar. Perhaps I should make that statement by NOT going back to blockbuster; but by doing so I have sevearly limited what is available to rent (I've tried netflix, it was a disaster). I make my statement by always purchaseing and renting widescreen and makeing it known to management that they have lost a sale when widscreen is not available. When we say that we will not buy from them thinking that this will change their attitude I think we've missed the point. They have ALREADY decided that your dollar is not as important as the dollar of the average fullscreen viewer. They wouldn't have made this decision if it wasn't going to make them money. I don't believe that they are trying to convince us that fullscreen is better; but simply that we have the minority opinion. As I see it; we can complain to management when we don't have a choice; we can attempt to educate management and the people around us; and finally wait for the time when widscreen becomes the favorable option with the HDTV changeover. Hey, if you have other purchasing and renting options; by all means; give your money to a store that meets your needs; but don't think for one minute that you have effected BB and WM's bottom line. If anything it seems to me that their decisions will be more justified since they can look at the numbers and say "see, many more fullscreen purchases than WS, we need to buy even MORE FS!" My choice is to ensure that these stores, which quite frankly I depend on for cheap available purchases, know that the OAR advocate is out there and spending money at their store.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I canceled my BB membership many years ago.
The two local Hollywood Video rental shops near me stock all Widescreen (when available). I only rent from them.
Peace Out~:D

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
The two local Hollywood Video rental shops near me stock all Widescreen (when available). I only rent from them.
WE have a HV here and I used to rent from them; but their selection is -significantly- poorer than BB. I got to a point where there was nothing left for me to rent except new releases and they passed on many titles. The final straw was when I saw "State and Main" available for rent in VHS and not DVD and the same day I saw "Say Anything" available for purchase (at $30 no less) but not availalbe for rent. I stopped by BB that day and found their selection a night and day comparison. That was about 6 months ago. Perhaps my HV is just crappy.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, being a former BBV employee, I don't remember that in the training seminar video :). But then again, that was 5 years ago, so my memory may be fuzzy on the details :).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>and finally wait for the time when widscreen becomes the favorable option with the HDTV changeover. >
What's going to be the main reaction from people who have supported widescreen from the begining, to all the complaints? Laughing, Hysterical Laughing, or "You made this mess, you sleep in it?" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks