What's new

UHD Indiana Jones UHD Blu Ray in 2020? (1 Viewer)

Dave MJ

Second Unit
True, but I doubt it will include the bonus material for each film from the DVD and the Blu-ray. (To be fair, the Blu-ray set didn't even include the bonus material from the Crystal Skull single Blu-ray.)

What I'd really like to see are two specials from 1981-82: The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Great Movie Stunts: Raiders of the Lost Ark (which was hosted by Harrison Ford). Plus, in 1989, there was a VHS doc called Indiana Jones: Great Adventurers and Their Quests. If all of those were included (remastered), I'd be very happy. And remastered trailers! Gotta have those!

Lucasfilm did an outstanding job with the Young Indiana Jones collections, making terrific documentaries to go with each episode. (Yes, the episodes should have been the hour-long versions instead of the two-hour movies, but that's another story.)
There is a lot of unseen deleted footage from the first 3 films. There is an extended version of the opening of the Ark sequence (which was cut way down right before release) which has been referenced in press materials but never included. Plus deleted scenes from all 3 films. The Raiders deleted footage on the blu-ray set was just snippets of raw takes, not the actual deleted scenes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I like 4K but I can't claim it trounces BD - at least not most of the time.

Yeah, some 4Ks are considerable improvements over BDs, but a well-done BD still looks great!
I’ve yet to see a Blu Ray that looks better than its 4K counterpart.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The recent Coming To America UHD release did not have a Blu-ray; just a single 4K disc with a code for a digital copy. So, there is precedent for Paramount issuing 4K discs with no Blu-ray.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The recent Coming To America UHD release did not have a Blu-ray; just a single 4K disc with a code for a digital copy. So, there is precedent for Paramount issuing 4K discs with no Blu-ray.

I've heard around that Interstellar (which is also a Paramount release in the United States and Canada) also lacked a Blu-ray copy of the film in its 4K release.

I'm interested to see what they do here because the inclusion of new Blu-rays will decide whether I get this set or the previously available one.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I'm interested to see what they do here because the inclusion of new Blu-rays will decide whether I get this set or the previously available one.
Exactly right. From where I'm sitting they will lose significant sales if they don't include a BD.

But even worse than that, the transfer of Raiders on the current BD is an abomination (substantial loss of detail from the negative due to overexposure--someone on the Raiders thread got a lot of grief for claiming there is detail on the DVD of Raiders not on the BD, but they are right). People who invest only in BDs should have a chance at a better transfer of Raiders, one of the greatest movies ever made.

Do BDs outsell 4K discs?

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do BDs outsell 4K discs?

I think so. But I don't have a data point to pull for that. But I'm pretty sure they do.

If Paramount wants to release a UHD-only set, that's fine with me. I'll just buy the existing Blu-rays. That certainly would make sense for catalog titles where lots of people own the films already. I'm only waiting to see what happens here because I've already waited this long to upgrade from DVD, so a few more months won't hurt.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't consider the current BD of Raiders an upgrade from the DVD, but to each their own.

You realize I've not actually seen the Blu-ray of Raiders, right? As I said in my comment, I don't have the existing ones. That's why I'm waiting to see what they do with this set.

I was just making that statement more as a blanket one that in general Blu-rays are an upgrade over DVDs because they are a high definition format and DVDs aren't.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Using the DVD for comparison, the BD is blown out, resulting in loss of detail, and it's been colored a different tone. It's hard for me to watch. I usually watch the DVD simply because it looks like the film I remember seeing in the theater and on VHS. The BD does not in any way, shape or form resemble the exposure or color palette of the movie I saw in 1981 (or on VHS or DVD).

I'll shut up now, but dang it's going to be crushing if the new transfer is authentic to the original and I can't get a copy on BD.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I've heard around that Interstellar (which is also a Paramount release in the United States and Canada) also lacked a Blu-ray copy of the film in its 4K release.

The original Interstellar 4K disc release did include the BD (and digital copy). I suppose it's possible an eventual reissue might exclude the BD...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh yeah. And DVD outsells both. Latest numbers:

Not surprising as kids and older people for the most part aren't interested in the best audio/video presentations, therefore, DVDs are just fine with them. Those of us that frequent this forum are part of a small niche market and that's the reality of the situation.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Oh yeah. And DVD outsells both. Latest numbers:

I know that this is true, and have always been aware of how DVDs still to this day sell the best, and by a lot, but it just blows my mind seeing that pie chart! Lol!

I remember when I had a nice DVD collection going about 20 years ago, and even then I was becoming a little disillusioned by how fragile and susceptible to damage/skipping DVDs seemed to be. I was so glad when Blu-Ray came along, because I can count on one hand how many defective Blu-rays I’ve come across. So much better technology in so many ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks