What's new

UHD Indiana Jones UHD Blu Ray in 2020? (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The first three films have been playing quite often on the Paramount Network on cable lately. They looked good there.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hmm... from the announcement today, it looks we are only getting the four films in 4K and digital, plus the same bonus disc from the Blu-ray set.

That’s pretty damn lazy of Paramount, IMO.

Steelbook:
1615849847231.jpeg

CELEBRATE THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK WITH ALL FOUR INDIANA JONES MOVIE ADVENTURES ON 4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME

DELUXE 4K ULTRA HD SET ARRIVES JUNE 8, 2021

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (March 15, 2021) – Relive the unforgettable exploits of world-renowned, globetrotting hero Indiana Jones in spectacular 4K Ultra HD when the INDIANA JONES 4-MOVIE COLLECTION arrives in a new 4K Ultra HD set June 8, 2021 from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Entertainment.

The cinematic classic that started it all—Raiders of the Lost Ark—celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, having first introduced audiences to the man with the hat on June 12, 1981. Forty years later, the legendary hero continues to captivate new generations of fans.

Now, for the first time ever, all four films are available together in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision and HDR-10 for ultra-vivid picture quality and state-of-the-art Dolby Atmos audio. Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.

In addition, all four films were remixed at Skywalker Sound under the supervision of legendary sound designer Ben Burtt to create the Dolby Atmos soundtracks. All original sound elements were used to achieve the fully immersive Dolby Atmos mixes while staying true to each film’s original creative intent.

The INDIANA JONES 4-MOVIE COLLECTIONincludes a collectible booklet with behind-the-scenes images from all four films. Each film is presented on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc with original theatrical trailers and access to digital copies. The set also includes a Blu-ray with seven hours of previously released bonus content as detailed below:

• On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • From Jungle to Desert
    • From Adventure to Legend
  • Making the Films
    • The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 documentary)
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull(HD)
  • Behind the Scenes
    • The Stunts of Indiana Jones
    • The Sound of Indiana Jones
    • The Music of Indiana Jones
    • The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones
    • Raiders: The Melting Face!
    • Indiana Jones and the Creepy Crawlies (with optional pop-ups)
    • Travel with Indiana Jones: Locations (with optional pop-ups)
    • Indy’s Women: The American Film Institute Tribute
    • Indy’s Friends and Enemies
    • Iconic Props (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)
    • The Effects of Indy (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)
    • Adventures in Post Production (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... from the announcement today, it looks we are only getting the four films in 4K and digital, plus the same bonus disc from the Blu-ray set.

I'll be honest, I'm half glad because I don't have a 4K TV yet so the lack of a Blu-ray copy will give me the impetus to wait until the fall to buy it when there's a much better sale price. A Blu-ray would have gotten to say "Why not?" and just buy it in June.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Not at all surprising. That just seems to be their MO for quite some time now if not all along (for the most part) since the early days of DVD. At least they're finally hopping on board w/ releasing some more discs again, especially in 4K. Also, at least they're bothering w/ putting the old extras on a separate bonuses BD, which they haven't been doing much, if any, in many other cases of late.

At this point, the bigger issue w/ them is whether we'll actually get worthy 4K releases in terms of PQ. Their track record (even long before 4K) has been spotty at best...

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not at all surprising. That just seems to be their MO for quite some time now if not all along (for the most part) since the early days of DVD. At least they're finally hopping on board w/ releasing some more discs again, especially in 4K. Also, at least they're bothering w/ putting the old extras on a separate bonuses BD, which they haven't been doing much, if any, in many other cases of late.

At this point, the bigger issue w/ them is whether we'll actually get worthy 4K releases in terms of PQ. Their track record (even long before 4K) has been spotty at best...

_Man_
This gives me hope, particularly because it states that Spielberg was involved. From the PHE press release:

"Now, for the first time ever, all four films are available together in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision® and HDR-10 for ultra-vivid picture quality and state-of-the-art Dolby Atmos® audio*. Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg."

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I wish they still did comparisons of only titles with simultaneous releases.
My interest would be sale numbers of specific titles broken down by format.

Sales of 1000 DVDs with no BD have little interest for me -- the ultimate self fulfilling prophecy saying the DVD of an item was strongly preferred when there was never an option.
TV of DVD far outsells TV on BD very likely b/c TV on BD barely exists other than Warner

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Steelbook:
View attachment 92326

CELEBRATE THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK WITH ALL FOUR INDIANA JONES MOVIE ADVENTURES ON 4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME

DELUXE 4K ULTRA HD SET ARRIVES JUNE 8, 2021

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (March 15, 2021) – Relive the unforgettable exploits of world-renowned, globetrotting hero Indiana Jones in spectacular 4K Ultra HD when the INDIANA JONES 4-MOVIE COLLECTION arrives in a new 4K Ultra HD set June 8, 2021 from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Entertainment.

The cinematic classic that started it all—Raiders of the Lost Ark—celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, having first introduced audiences to the man with the hat on June 12, 1981. Forty years later, the legendary hero continues to captivate new generations of fans.

Now, for the first time ever, all four films are available together in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision and HDR-10 for ultra-vivid picture quality and state-of-the-art Dolby Atmos audio. Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.

In addition, all four films were remixed at Skywalker Sound under the supervision of legendary sound designer Ben Burtt to create the Dolby Atmos soundtracks. All original sound elements were used to achieve the fully immersive Dolby Atmos mixes while staying true to each film’s original creative intent.

The INDIANA JONES 4-MOVIE COLLECTIONincludes a collectible booklet with behind-the-scenes images from all four films. Each film is presented on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc with original theatrical trailers and access to digital copies. The set also includes a Blu-ray with seven hours of previously released bonus content as detailed below:

• On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • From Jungle to Desert
    • From Adventure to Legend
  • Making the Films
    • The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 documentary)
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull(HD)
  • Behind the Scenes
    • The Stunts of Indiana Jones
    • The Sound of Indiana Jones
    • The Music of Indiana Jones
    • The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones
    • Raiders: The Melting Face!
    • Indiana Jones and the Creepy Crawlies (with optional pop-ups)
    • Travel with Indiana Jones: Locations (with optional pop-ups)
    • Indy’s Women: The American Film Institute Tribute
    • Indy’s Friends and Enemies
    • Iconic Props (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)
    • The Effects of Indy (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)
    • Adventures in Post Production (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)

Thanks for posting! Looking forward to watching the films again in 4k!

Recently I believe raiders and last crusade were screened here in theaters.
I noted raiders when I was at a dr. No screening.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

It is.

But with the continuing decline of physical media sales, of which UHD represents a small portion, it's also not particularly surprising either.

Universal did a better for the fans job with their big trilogy last year. Back to the Future got remastered Blu-ray discs and new bonus features in addition to carrying over everything from the previous DVD and Blu-ray versions. That's why I rewarded them with a triple dip on BTTF even though I don't need 4K discs.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
This gives me hope, particularly because it states that Spielberg was involved. From the PHE press release:

"Now, for the first time ever, all four films are available together in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision® and HDR-10 for ultra-vivid picture quality and state-of-the-art Dolby Atmos® audio*. Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg."
Don't get too exited. Spielberg has come out and proclaimed every release since the VHS as the greatest the film has ever looked. This could very well just be the existing 2012 era 4K masters. It's not clear from the release if this is a NEW scan and restoration. Only the Atmos mix is touted as new.

Still, it seems hard to believe Spielberg could be happy with the blu-ray color grade of Raiders, so I'll try to be an optimist.

The lack of new bonus feature is extremely disappointing. We may never get to see the many things still in the vault. Maybe when the ultimate 5 movie collection comes out next year...

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The announcement also answers the question of the titling of the first movie. It seems pretty obvious from the SteelBook edition image that it's still being called Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
If interested this is a good comparison showing the orange/teal color grade and brightness/contrast issues of the blu-ray. Hopefully this will be corrected for the 4K release. Watch with 1080p setting for best picture.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Admittedly it's hard to draw definitive conclusions from a YouTube video, but I also think I'm seeing finer detail on the alternate HD master. It's especially obvious on facial closeups.

Regardless, this will be an automatic purchase for me, such is my love for the original trilogy. I hope they do these fantastic movies justice.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Admittedly it's hard to draw definitive conclusions from a YouTube video, but I also think I'm seeing finer detail on the alternate HD master. It's especially obvious on facial closeups.

Regardless, this will be an automatic purchase for me, such is my love for the original trilogy. I hope they do these fantastic movies justice.
Yes, Youtube compression wreaks havoc with videos. I changed the post to a Vimeo source, which has better detail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks