What's new

UHD Indiana Jones UHD Blu Ray in 2020? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is one of those titles where I always meant to upgrade to Blu-ray but never did it. I currently own the original DVD set from 2003.

I don't have the capability to do 4K, so I don't need that, but it's obviously great news for those who are so equipped that these are coming.

I will be curious to hear if they are also going to do a remastered Blu-ray set. If so, I might as well wait a few more months for that to come along. Otherwise, I'll just go ahead and grab the original Blu-ray set the next time it is on sale.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't have the capability to do 4K, so I don't need that, but it's obviously great news for those who are so equipped that these are coming.
You should at least consider a 4K player. They're relatively reasonable (I just got the Panasonic 420 for $149). You can show 4K discs on a regular HD display as long as you have a 4K player. Then at least you can take advantage of an upgraded (or "fixed") 4K disc re-release even if your display is not yet 4K.

I don't have any 4K display yet, but play many 4K discs on my regular 1080 HD projector and/or TV.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You should at least consider a 4K player.

I'm the only one in my family who would care about 4K so we are not likely to do that at this time. My parents with whom I live don't really care what quality they're watching as long as it doesn't look bad, so getting a new TV and player for just me isn't really practical. Also, while I absolutely believe you all that 4K looks better, most of the Blu-rays I have still look great, so I can't complain about what I have. But I am very happy to see these important titles being released for those who can use 4K.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You should at least consider a 4K player. They're relatively reasonable (I just got the Panasonic 420 for $149). You can show 4K discs on a regular HD display as long as you have a 4K player. Then at least you can take advantage of an upgraded (or "fixed") 4K disc re-release even if your display is not yet 4K.

I don't have any 4K display yet, but play many 4K discs on my regular 1080 HD projector and/or TV.

I agree

While Blu-ray still produces an amazing picture, 4k takes it one step further.

There are some remarkable 4k transfers out there that trump their BD counterparts and I expect Indiana Jones to be yet another of those.

I would invest in a 4k player if you still don't have one

(EDIT: Read Jake's response after I posted this and understand his situation)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's also interesting that they're moving toward excluding regular BDs.

Well, probably makes good sense for the most popular movies like this and other catalog franchises like LotR since anyone buying these 4K releases would very likely already own the old BDs... though the LotR (and Hobbit) 4K releases did still include 4K DCs.

Hopefully, they're still including 4K DCs, and the $ savings w/ excluding regular BDs significantly help keep the format going...

This is one of those titles where I always meant to upgrade to Blu-ray but never did it. I currently own the original DVD set from 2003.

I will be curious to hear if they are also going to do a remastered Blu-ray set. If so, I might as well wait a few more months for that to come along. Otherwise, I'll just go ahead and grab the original Blu-ray set the next time it is on sale.

You might also consider buying somebody else's 4K DC codes (that include HD streams if you're not yet 4K/Atmos-capable) instead -- I actually ended up doing just that quite cheaply for the LotR and Hobbit and a few others (and almost for BttF Trilogy too) over in that HTF subforum since I didn't think the PQ for the fairly expensive 4K discs would be meaningfully better than the DCs in those specific cases...

_Man_

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe but that it's that close to the anniversary is the biggest red flag of making me think it's a fan dream. Has a studio ever come that close to the actual anniversary of a theatrical release date? I suppose there's a first for everything but until I see a press release, I can't believe that Paramount and LFL/Disney (they own the characters so they're involved to some degree) aren't waiting to release this during the holidays to maximize their sales.
Happy to be wrong. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder if they will still call this set The Complete Adventures even though we know a fifth movie is coming. I mean, it's complete now, but we know that on July 29, 2022 it won't be. If that release date sticks.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’m guessing this is still with Paramount, so that the digital versions still won’t be Movies Anywhere? Looks like I need to keep an eye out for a good price on iTunes.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looking forward to my iTunes digital copies upgrading to 4k in June!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see this coming, but I wish I thought this would be a definitive set with all the bonus materials we’ve seen over the years. They just don’t seem to make those anymore. I’d love to see the 80s TV specials included too (only one of which was on the Blu-ray set).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm the only one in my family who would care about 4K so we are not likely to do that at this time. My parents with whom I live don't really care what quality they're watching as long as it doesn't look bad, so getting a new TV and player for just me isn't really practical. Also, while I absolutely believe you all that 4K looks better, most of the Blu-rays I have still look great, so I can't complain about what I have. But I am very happy to see these important titles being released for those who can use 4K.

I like 4K but I can't claim it trounces BD - at least not most of the time.

Yeah, some 4Ks are considerable improvements over BDs, but a well-done BD still looks great!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glad to see this coming, but I wish I thought this would be a definitive set with all the bonus materials we’ve seen over the years. They just don’t seem to make those anymore. I’d love to see the 80s TV specials included too (only one of which was on the Blu-ray set).

They don't make sets like they used to because the industry isn't thriving like it used to.

There were complaints about the new Shrek 4K/BD Special Edition not having enough extras. Same situation.

However, I had heard that Paramount went to Lucasfilm last year to mine for bonus material on this release. Perhaps we will hear more this upcoming week than we were expecting.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
They don't make sets like they used to because the industry isn't thriving like it used to.

There were complaints about the new Shrek 4K/BD Special Edition not having enough extras. Same situation.

However, I had heard that Paramount went to Lucasfilm last year to mine for bonus material on this release. Perhaps we will hear more this upcoming week than we were expecting.
That’s kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not selling as many widgets? Put less effort into them, make them cheaper. Not selling as many widgets?....

That’s not an explanation for not including already existing extras. I think the real explanation is a lack of respect for the customer. We’re just an asset to exploit.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Isn't it listed as a 5-disc set for 4 movies? Doesn't that likely mean a separate disc just for bonus content?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Isn't it listed as a 5-disc set for 4 movies? Doesn't that likely mean a separate disc just for bonus content?

True, but I doubt it will include the bonus material for each film from the DVD and the Blu-ray. (To be fair, the Blu-ray set didn't even include the bonus material from the Crystal Skull single Blu-ray.)

What I'd really like to see are two specials from 1981-82: The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Great Movie Stunts: Raiders of the Lost Ark (which was hosted by Harrison Ford). Plus, in 1989, there was a VHS doc called Indiana Jones: Great Adventurers and Their Quests. If all of those were included (remastered), I'd be very happy. And remastered trailers! Gotta have those!

Lucasfilm did an outstanding job with the Young Indiana Jones collections, making terrific documentaries to go with each episode. (Yes, the episodes should have been the hour-long versions instead of the two-hour movies, but that's another story.)

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Day one purchase for me! It's true that, the last several months, I've been buying fewer films on disc and more films on digital only. But some films you simply *must* own on shiny discs and these films are among them.

Mark

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I hope the new Raiders transfer is not overexposed like the BD was. Compare the bright scenes to the DVD and you'll see negative detail is lost all over the place because of overexposure. This is probably the last hope for a good HD transfer in my lifetime.
Agreed. This seems like the last opportunity to fix that and the orange/teal "modernized" color. Doom and Crusade look fine, but Raiders has major issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks