What's new

I pulled the trigger on the Infocus X1 (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering if I can hook up a computer to this projector? I will be using this for weekly meetings and such, but during the rest of the week, I would love to watch some dvd's and such with this projector! Please tell me it's possible..and what I would need to hook up the computer. Oh the comp has a tv-out already so that side is covered. Thanks!
Hey folks,

appoligies if this has already been covered...but I don't have the endurance to reall all 8 pages of this thread...

Want to make sure everyone's aware that projectors like this actually look *BETTER* being feed a PC signal than the video from your DVD player (generally). Using a PC with a DVD drive allows you to sale the output of the PC to the exact match of the resolution of the projector...which bypasses all scaling in the PJ itself.

Also...does the X1 have a DVI input? If so, running in DVI can result in subtle-to-substantial improvements in image yet again.

If you've got a PC with a DVD drive in close proximity that can be hooked up you owe it to yourself to give it a try and see how it looks. Naturally this may be too complicated for the casual viewer or significant other to figure out when the "just want to watch a movie" but for the videophile on a budget it can be a great way to affordably up the image quality another notch or two.

The X1 doesn't work for me bcs of rainbows and bcs now that I've fallen in love with the image of the Sharp 10000 down the street I can't settle for less...so I'm holding out with my direct-view 16x9 until prices/models fall into an affordable bracket for me...but I agree that the X1 is an awesome bargin for those who can tolerate it's problems (rainbows, lack of HD resolution) and are on a budget. To be sure...it can compete/better what many are seeing on their rear-projection sets right now which is astonishing considerig its cost!

-dave :)

The X1 has two component inputs. The first will only accept 480i inputs, but does not have a standard connection. Instead of 3 RCA connectors, it uses a mini-DIN that is similar in appearance to an S-Video input. You need to buy or make an adapter in order to use this input with a standard component source.

The second component input comes by way of a VGA style connector. It won't accept a 480i input, but will accept 480p, 720p, 1080i and VGA. I've only used it with 480p...

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Thanks for all the answer's guys! (RE: component input). I'll pass it along to my friend and hopefully get a chance to see his setup soon. I would LOVE to see this PJ in action!

Gordon

Mike.ca

Auditioning
Gordon, you or your friend might also find some useful details about the X1 in the draft FAQ I'm trying to pull together (see my .sig). It is a collection of information from several sources and still needs a lot of work, but it is already becoming a useful resource.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
How is the PLV 70 still doing for you? Did I send you in the right direction?
Great! and YES!! :D

I should probably post in another thread about my setup and some improvments that really make it outstanding, but suffice to say here that the Sanyo PLV-70 is one great PJ!!

Thanks, Parker!!

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Also anyone figured out how to get brighter colors through the VGA input?
You can adjust the brightness and color levels by setting them while in S-Vid mode. Save your setting and then go back to the vga mode. Select the correct saved setting and you are all set.

You do have to go back and forth for awhile to get it exact. I calibrated with Avia and only needed to make a few small adjustments when I went back to VGA.

You can adjust the brightness and color levels by setting them while in S-Vid mode. Save your setting and then go back to the vga mode. Select the correct saved setting and you are all set.
Really? I hadn't thought of trying that. Have you tried setting the tint with this method?

Thanks, I'll try it...

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
well i just ordered a Hoya 62mm Neutral Density 2x filter (HOND262) (as per recommendation from AVSforums) from B&H photo/video for $24. i know i could have gotten it cheaper from ebay, etc., but in case it doesn't alleviate much of the rainbowing, i will send it back. i'll post my comments when i get it in.

by the way, those who suggested the blackout cloth from Joana's fabrics - that stuff works great, even with wrinkles and such thumbtacked to the wall.

anyone got an easy way to raise the height of my proj so that its like 4 feet of the ground? (i dont want to suspend/mount from ceiling since i only rent and dont want any probs with my deposit). I was thinking maybe one of those storage bins from office depot or something. any suggestions?

- asim

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Really? I hadn't thought of trying that. Have you tried setting the tint with this method?
I was able to adjust the tint and all other option available in the S-video input. I have had people tell mt they were not able to do this and I suspect it has to do with the firmware version that loaded. I am currently using 3.6

I was able to adjust the tint and all other option available in the S-video input. I have had people tell mt they were not able to do this and I suspect it has to do with the firmware version that loaded. I am currently using 3.6
I wasn't able to make this work with my 3.6 X1.

The screen flashes like it is setting the presets, but neither color nor tint have any effect. You can check this by setting the controls at their limits in S-Video mode, saving them, then switching to the VGA input. If you choose the same USER preset, the screen flashes, but the color/tint settings don't change from the default... Contrast and brightness change correctly, however.

It's too bad because my tint is slightly out, making reds appear slightly pink...

Eric Hardman

Auditioning
After a few months of debating between spending $3,000 to $4,000 on a Pioneer or Mitsubishi 65inch RPTV, or for a upscale FP, I stumbled upon the thread here on the Infocus X1. This lead me to research into this FP through the internet and I found mostly positive things said about it for home use. I decided to go ahead and purchase one thinking this will also allow me to spend the extra funds I have on a good recevier and speaker set-up as well as a screen or materials for a DIY screen.

Best Buy had them in-stock and I just returned from the store with my daughter, who has sworn to secrecy not to tell her mother until after I tell her. At least if I get in the dog house, I will have a nice FP to watch!

I will post later today with my first hand impressions of this FP.

Thanks for all your post which helped my in my decision

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
Well, turns out that the Hoya filter helps the rainbow effect considerably, especially on b&w movies. however, since it is a filter, the light levels are decreased. since my screen is opposite a window (17' away, no other choice for placement), i cannot use the filter even with the blinds down during the day. at night, however, it looks great. seen AOTC, Matrix, many others at night, and much less rainbow. also, even during the day, i see fewer rainbows, which must mean i have "adapted".

Eric, if you ever want to borrow the filter (if the rainbows bother you), just let me know. i live in the Central West End.

All in all, i am quite please with the X1.

Eric Hardman

Auditioning
Well after a evening of watiching the TB/NYJ tape delayed football game, Solaris and The Quiet American, I can say I am somewhat sold on the X1. I noticed for the first few hours what appeared to be vapor noice on the wall. I assume this was from the bulb being burnt in or something. I noticed also on the top of the image and sometimes on the bottom of the image it would tend to look kind of odd(kind of like water or picture noice). Again this seemed to go away after a few hours. Hard part of watching was tinkering with the differnt formats and stuff.

I have a question which perhaps someone can shed light on. Watching the football game I noticed it displayed the worst icture of all the things I watched. Is this perhaps due to the channel broadcasting it, or is it because of pixalization from the movng players?

Last question. How much of a better picture can one get if they got a svga instead of the x1? For me the cost to performance ratio is very good. I tend to watch sports, movies and just a few TV shows. Would it be worth the extra money (almost 2x as much) to get a svga?

Ricky Kilgore

Auditioning
Hi Eric,

I think you mean xga. The X1 is a svga projector.
I bought mine about a month ago and I am quite impressed with the picture.
It doesn't compete with my friends Runco projecting onto a 9ft wide screen ,but I didn't pay 15 grand for mine either.

For the money, you just can't beat it.

My dos centavos.
Ricky

Eric Hardman

Auditioning
Built my screen last night. I used the Polywall material. I must admit the picture improved dramatically. I am now 99% satisfied with the X1 and feel it was totally worth every penny.

I have not seen any rainbows as of yet.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
It's been awhile since I last posted to this thread but I just had five more people over and none of them saw rainbows. Now I am up to 16 people who have stopped by to see my set-up and so far ZERO have seen rainbows (unless you count me and the little amount I saw the first couple of days). They exist, but only a small percentage are affected by them. Don't waste time worrying, just wait until you get the projector. If you are one of the unlucky who do see rainbows, you can always return the X1 and buy an LCD projector. Also keep in mind that for a lot of people, the rainbows go away. I saw quick flashes of them when I first bought the X1, but now I don't see them at all. They were never bad for me. Like I said, just quick flashes here and there.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it,
George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks