What's new

I pulled the trigger on the Infocus X1 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
No TV Tuner.
The vcr trick will work, But you would need to use the video in composite or s-video.
A vcr outputs a ntsc 480i.
The vga port will only work with progressive or 1080i signals.
Edit,
If you have SAT or Cable TV you can also feed the X1 from those.

Mike.ca

Auditioning
You don't say which Samsung model you have but I browsed through a manual for one model and it appears to me that the S-video output of your deck is only connected to the DVD Player module, so that is probably why only DVDs are working for you now.

To get output from your VCR module (and the TV tuner that is part of it), you will need to also connect the composite video out (the yellow jack) from your deck to the composite video in (again the yellow jack) of the X1 projector.

Then to switch between watching DVDs or the VCR you will have to set the projector to the S-video input or the composite input, depending on which you need at the time.

Hope that fixes it for you.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
I absolutely love my X1, I can't believe I can get this great of an image at such a large size for $850. I had been looking at getting a HDTV for a long time, I was getting close to getting a direct view 32". I had looked at used projectors earlier, but they were too expensive or needed too much work. After looking at tv's for soo long I feel sorry for anyone who got anything besides Front projection if they have a light contoled room.

Right now I am trying different stuff to use for a screen. Plus trying different connections, and settings, I just tried my breakout cable and watched a DVD, it looked great, my only complaint is that there is no color control, and the colors look a little weak. I am not sure if it's supposed to look this way or not. The colors are just not as bright as with the component to svideo. But the picture... wow it's got that 3D look to it. Like the peoples faces in lord of the rings almost pops right off the screen.

Edit: I just ordered a ND filter to try out, that way I can get darker blacks, the blacks are all there, just not as dark as I would like them, so I am seeing if this will work. Also anyone figured out how to get brighter colors through the VGA input?

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Also anyone figured out how to get brighter colors through the VGA input?
I was also disappointed with the colors using the VGA input. Fortunately my progressive DVD player (a Malata) has its own onboard color and gamma settings so I was able to get colors and black levels just where I want them. I will admit that I'm using an inexpensive breakout cable and a fairly long run at that so that probably has some bearing on the weak color problem. I just wish that InFocus hadn't hobbled the VGA port like this as there's no telling if any future players I might use will offer the same work around.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
I want to buy a long s-video cable to run along side my breakout cable in case I want to plug something else into my A/V reciever. Is the s-video input on the X1 the same as all s-video's or is it a special connector? I remember reading that it has a extra pin or something. Also, where is a good place to buy a cable that long? Thanks

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
If you just want to hook up S-video, A standard s-video cable is all that is needed, That special cable is a s-video breakout cable to use that input with component video.
Jerry

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
thanks jerry,
i bought the breakout from pccables, would that be the best place to buy a 35' s-video?

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
My buddy at work just ordered one of these. Cool!

He had been over to my place and was properly "wowed" by my setup (full rockets/SVS audio w/Sanyo PLV-70 PJ), but wanted to get into it in a little bit smaller way. :)

I showed him this thread and passed on some recommendatations. He picked up an Onkyo HTiB and an Infocus X1 and will project onto a wall. Talk about a good inexpensive way to get into HT!

I am very much looking forward to seeing the X1 in action!!

Gordon

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Greetings all, here are my initial X1 impressions:

I picked up an X1 for the vacation home and am using it with a 72" 4:3 StudioTek 130 snapper. It was leftover when I upgraded the home system to 16:9 a few years ago. I have about 10 hours on it and am in the process of calibrating it with Video Essentials. I'll drop AVIA on it in a couple of weeks when I get home to grab the disc. In the mean time I set the X1 up with the calibrations from Mysphyt's home web site:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/X1Review.html

This is probably the 6th projector I have used over the last 7 years(All others LCD or DLP from Epson, Sharp and Sony). I use them extensively for work and get to play with different brands. My primary unit at home is a Sony VW10HT modified with SMART II projecting on another StudioTek 130 at 16:9 94" diagonal. The 10HT is native 16:9 at 1368 X 768 and can handle HDTV full out. With the SMART upgrade it has very nice blacks and plenty of Lumens. It receives everything either HD native via a DISH 6000 or at 480p via an ISCAN Ultra. It looks like a 94" 16:9 window.. :D

The X1 so far has only had 480i input through it as I am waiting on the VESA cable for inputting progressive 480p from my Panny 56. The system sources are the Panny 56, an S-VHS Panny VCR and DISH Network all running through a Vampirewire 20 foot S-Video cable. (A quick shout out to my friend Stuart Marcum of Sound Connections in Lutz, FL.)

http://www.vampirewire.com/

I have been using his high end cables for over 20 years and they are terrific.

My initial impressions are very positive. At first I thought the unit was not as bright as I expected since the X1 and the Sony each are about 1000 lumens. However, after about 20 minutes from first fire up, the brightness finally reached peak. After about 5 hours total the bulb burned in nicely and it became very clear and detailed. It is basically the same brightness as the Sony here (As I would expect since both are 1000 Lumens.) The colors are very sharp using Mysphyt's settings.

Brightness 48
Contrast 60
Red 60
Green 50
Blue 53

Warmest temp setting (Which is actually the 6500 setting)

I did increase the Brightness to 61 after viewing several very dark scenes like LOTR Prancing Pony and Balrog. That gave it just enough push for the greys to have some range.

Every projector's perfect settings are a bit different (even the same make and model can vary). Screen type (or Goo :) ), Distance, size, ambient lighting and surrounding wall color will have an effect on the final calibrations.

The first pass impressions are very strong. For the Best Buy $999 it is a steal! My Sony VW10HT was $5700 3 1/2 years ago and that was a great price then. For anything DVD quality or lower the X1 definately hold its own. Colors are great Flesh tones are very natural. It still is not quite as sharp as the Sony with 480i vs the Sony's 480p inputs from my ISCAN Ultra.I will be trying some higher resolutions down the road when my VESA to Component cable comes in and it will be interesting to see the down conversion results.

BTW, if you buy before 6/30 they extend the labor warranty for 3 extra years (To five) for free when you register.

I think this one is a keeper... :D

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
I got my X-1 today. I'm projecting onto a white textured wall for now and it looks great.

I noticed that in 16:9 mode, there are still black bars on the top and bottom. Is there anyway to get rid of these? If not, how can I minimize their effect, as they will overlap my screen boundary.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Jereme, the X1 has a native 4:3 aspect ratio so you will have large bars with 16:9 material, just like watching on a standard 4:3 TV, there is no way to get rid of them. You can buy some black felt to place at the bar locations to help minimize there visibility.

Peace Out~:D

Neal_C

Second Unit
I too picked up the X1 the other day from Best Buy. I'm currently projecting onto a 36 x 48 artist canvas until the wife and I can put together the DIY screen. We got some fabric that is 70% polyester and 30% cotton and seems to ward off wrinkles pretty well. Atleast we are hoping so, cause it won't be a permanent screen. We haven't decided on screen dimensions, but our fabric is 60 x 72, so we have quite a bit to work with.

The screen will be temporary and moveable when it is done.

Only have a couple hours on the projector, but after only one movie and with only s-video, it seems pretty good.

Neal

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Ron. It looks like the black material that I'm using on my frame cuts the appearance of the black bars considerably so I'm using it in the area around my frame also.

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
Well my X1 came in this past week and here are my impressions using a Dell inspiron notebook and projecting to a white wall using the default settings.

1. LOTR and the Transformers movie looked great. Very little rainbow effects seen. With the 16:9 LOTR aspect in a room with no windows, the black bars were "whiter" than i had hoped. But, the picture quality was great.

2. Watching B/W Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, well, rainbows here were very apparent. Not enough so that i couldn't just distract myself, but anytime i made a quick saccadic eye movement, definitely visible.

So, since i had to buy a proj $1k requires mondo signatures, i think I am gonna have to keep it). In addition, just in case if it wasn't mentioned on a thread on this site, here is a link regarding using filters with the X1 to reduce the rainbow effect:

clickie here

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I was talking with my friend at work who ordered one, and recommended he use component input (he has it hooked up composite). He told me there are not component input RCA jacks on this PJ. I can't believe the X1 does not have component capability. I have not seen it (he lives pretty far from me - opposite direction from the plant), so thought I would ask you guys what's up with this.
Thanks!
Gordon

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Gordon, the X1 does not have component input. You can use the breakout cable that Neil mentioned above for anamorphic DVDs. When I had the X1, I was impressed withe the S-Vid connection but at that time I did not have the breakout cable to test it. I ordered the cable but by the time it arrived I had sent the X1 back (due to the rainbows).

PCcables has great prices on the breakout cables.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks