Should I pull the trigger on an InFocus X1 projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ScottATL, Oct 9, 2003.

1. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

I've been on the fence now for some time about what to buy and I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. I can get the X1 for a little less then $1100 and was wondering just how good it is for that price. I am also considering the Sharp DT200, but I think the X1 checks out better.

Someone talk me into it, I've spent about $2500 on my home audio (HK AVR 520, Paradigm fronts/rear/center, and an SVS PC+ 20-39 sub) and have a Toshiba 32 inch TV :eek

hmmmm, I think I just talked myself into it

2. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I love my X1. The picture for DVDs is excellent and HDTV is decent. You might want to wait a month or two as a new batch of FPs are coming out. This should cause some price drops, or you might find some good deals on eBay.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

That's actually quite a bit of money for an X1.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Scott,
    I did a quick A/B comparison on the Infocus X1 and Sharp Dt200....truthfully the only advantage the Sharp had was the 5 speed color wheel. Otherwise I didn't see a difference in the 2 hour testing I did with movies like The Matrix, The Fifth Element and Monsters.......
    Like Gabriel said you can get the X1 for $XXX directly from Infocus....Shoot if you are dropping that much you should just get the Sanyo PLV-Z1 or Matinee 1HD ...
    Give us more info on what you are going to be using the FP for(movies, gaming, TV) and what type of room you have, light control, how big of a screen you want?
    I demoed the X1 about 2 weeks ago and it is a great machine for the price but I think I really want a true 16:9 native FP so I will probably be getting the Matinee 1HD thru my local HI FI shop.
    If you want go to my link and look around I have some shots of the X1 in action. It was about 16' from the wall. I projected right on the white wall and had a 92" wide screen when watching DVD's.

5. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Scott, whether it be through Dell or Best Buy's new 10% off coupon, you should be able to get a new X1 for about 900 after taxes...

As for your question, "yes". [​IMG]

6. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

Chad, the room has no windows and completely closes so it can be completely dark if I want it to be. Although, we are moving within the next year and I'll again have a basement, but the all of the floor plans that the builder we choose seem to have windows in their "great room" in the basement. Some shutters and a wall curtain can fix that though. Anyway, my current setup is a little weird as the back of the room has a closet on it so the distance from the wall to the projector is exactly 12 feet. I think the Sharpe is alittle better in this area as well as a true 16:9 screen.

I think I'd be ok for 90+ inches, but in my next house I know I could go a little bigger if I want to and will sort of have the home theater room custom built to a dimension that will allow me too.

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well scott you have to think of what you will be using it for....if you want true 16:9 native and if you want long throw or short throw. The X1 is a long throw projector...so 12 ft on the x1 will give you about ...
    Diagonal Range: 78 - 96 in. ( 6.5 - 7.9 ft.)
    Height Range: 47 - 58 in. ( 3.9 - 4.8 ft.)
    Width Range: 63 - 77 in. ( 5.2 - 6.4 ft.)

Also remember with the X1 in 16:9 mode you will see grayish/black bars top/bottom because of it being 4:3 native.
    What is your budget? Have you looked into the Panny 200/300 or Matinee 1HD....they are all LCD projectors but true 16:9 native....if you go to my webiste I have a comparison chart on all 4 projectors....