What's new

InFocus X1 or Panasonic PT-L500U (1 Viewer)

OK – I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Panasonic PT-L500U (I even had it in a shopping cart @ Dell.com) but someone much smarter than me (that would be everyone on this forum) got me to thinking about something. I have what I consider a pretty low-end HT. We will be watching HDTV from Comcast, DVD’s, XBOX, and regular Cable TV in that order. We have a fair amount of ambient light in our living room so I wonder what this means for my decision. I really love the native 16:9 and resolution of the Panasonic but I understand the DLP on the InFocus has some pretty good advantages too. The cost diff is basically a wash. Any input or direct experience with these units? Thanks everyone.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Monte, the Panny 500 is more than double the price of the X1. You need to go to Projectorcentral.com and read all the articles, it's a great site. Then you need to set your budget and decide on DLP or LCD, and 4:3 or 16:9 format. After you narrow down to a few projectors, read the reviews on them. And you need to see DLP and LCD in person if possible.

Hey Jim - so that's exactly what I've done and one of the reasons why I'm a little confused. :b But I've been reading a ton about these. When I read about the X1, I walk away and say WOW, this is great! Then I read about the Panasonic and says, WOW, this is great! That is why I am seeking people with actual hands on experience.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I in-home demoed the X1 and a older Panny 200u.

If you are unaffected by the "rainbow" effect of the X1's slow color wheel and don't mind a 4:3 aspect ratio, the X1 could very well work for you and you'll save some coin.

If you go LCD, the Panny will not disappoint (at least my 200u did not). Picture quality I found was equal across the board on both. Vibrant colors, decent black levels, sharp and detailed images. Both required a slight defocus to hide the screendoor.

I found a light colored gray screen worked better then a white on both as well.

If you can, find a shop that will let you in-home demo the PJ's. I know that projectorpeople gives you 7 days in-home with no restock.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Monte:

I would seriously look into the Infocus 4805 instead of the X1 as it has a faster color wheel with more colors to the wheel improving contrast and color.

Give the guys at TV Authority a call and see if you can still get in on the deal with had with them for the 4805 and 92 inch screen for $1,499. (This is the price most places sell the Infocus for alone). Being an authorized dealer for the Infocus is a big plus and they are super to work with.

Parker

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
You may have some trouble with the ambient light you mentioned in your post. I have the X1 projector and any amount of ambient light in the room tends to degrade the picture quality significantly. I don't have a problem with this as I primarily use it during the evenings.

There used to be a link on this site to a company that demo's the X1 for 10 days. They will ship it to you and include return shipping, so it is truely a no-risk proposition. I will see if I can find it tonight when I get home.

David

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
YOU CAN GET ONE AT BB & TRY IT OUT AND RETURN IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. BB HAS A NO HASSEL RETURN. I KNOW IT SOUNDS BAD SORRY ALL. THEY MIGHT EVEN HAVE NEW THE X2.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I'd seriously look at the Infocus 4805. It's 16x9, has a faster colourwheel than the x1 and has a better deinterlacer than the Panasonic.
It's useless watching cable on my LCD projector because most projectors including the 500u have poor deinterlacers. The x1 as well as the 4805 is the exception.
With the 4805 you'll get a better cable picture than the x1 because it will be a smaller picture hence better resolution. I've read people think a satellite feed with an Infocus is quite good.
FP's in a room with alot of ambient light is watchable, but to me not enjoyable.
The picture can look washed and not as deep in saturation of colour. That's why there so great for watching films because you can mimic the theater experience.
Watching Cable in ambient light with a FP is a waist to me. I'll just kill time on my regular TV if I have a choice.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has a 15% restock fee don't they? I know CompUSA does something like that.

As for X1 vs Panny 500 I'd definitely go with the Panasonic. :D

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Isn't it possible to change from a 4x3 to a 16x9 presentation with certain projectors? Perhaps I'm confused on the matter, but you'd think this would be a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.