What's new

I pulled the trigger on the Infocus X1 (1 Viewer)

Mike.ca

Auditioning
It's too long when you realize you haven't gone to bed for several days in a row.

But seriously, you can (in theory) use it continuously for days at a time as long as it is getting adequate cooling (clean the filters and don't block the vents).

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Dean,

Just keep in mind that the bulb life is supposedly 3000 hours. I don't know of anyone that has anywhere close to that, so I'm not sure how true it is. I myself have had my X1 since November of last year and only have 200 hours on it. The bulbs have come down in price to about 300 each I believe. Personally I rarely think about bulb life. When I'm in the mood for a movie marathon I have one. Stop worrying and enjoy :-D

Gabrielle

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Burn in is not possible with a DLP or LCD PJ. And if your bulb only lasts 3000 hours that is still barely 10 cents per hour. My Panasonic PT-L200U has a 5000 hour bulb and costs less than 5 cents per hour to run. I think the CRT PJ fanatics are trying to give us digital PJ owners something to worry about unnecessarily. Like GabrielleG said, just enjoy it.

willemBER

Auditioning
I am currently using A Dell 2100 (borrowed) and am concidering buying the X1. How does the fan noise compare? The fan noise (and lack of zoom) is what I dilike about the Dell... Is the X1 better or worse?

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
i cannot comment on the dell as i have not used it. however, for the x1, especially with an acoustically dynamic movie, i dont hear the fan and i sit about 36 inches or so away from the PJ. on an old b/w movie with only dialog, i can hear the fan, but it is fairly low and does not interfere with my ability to hear the audio.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I also sit about 3 ft away and I don't hear it either, but I do hear it when it first powers on and I don't have the sound powered up yet or if its a really quiet passage. I would be lying if I said it was completely inaudible but I would not describe it as distracting. For comparison, my computer which is pretty quiet is much louder. I can also hear my Sampson amp's fan kick in which is about 15 ft. away so its much quieter than that. As far as the Dell goes, I have not seen (or heard in this case) it either.
Like GabrielleG said, just enjoy it.
Amen to that! I just hit 500 hours on my X1 and I can't think of a better purchase I have made. It's hard to beat the "wow" factor of a 92" diagonal screen, with exception to maybe SVS, but I regress. I was so concerned with rainbows, dead pixels, screendoor, bulb life, logistics of having a fptv, etc... but now all I can say is just do it whether its LCD, DLP, or CRT it is just so much better than "regular" tv's especially for hdtv and movies, not to mention cheaper.

willemBER

Auditioning
Well The sound of the projector (Dell) is really bothering my wife. Are the higher end projectors quieter or just brighter with higher res? I really like the WT600 from NEC, but thats a whole different ball game. It would be ages before I could get that, where as the X1 I could get by December.

I think I remember reading about people making some sort of sound containing boxes. How exactly does that work? Wouldn't that prevent cooling?

James T Morton

Auditioning
Well, I finally got my X1, and I absolutely love it. Before I would always regret when I missed seeing major movies on the big screen, but now I get that experience right at home, without all the crying babies and rustling popcorn. Movie heaven!

Since I'm an FP rookie, I would love to get some opinions from the pros here on a couple of issues.

1) I'm currently projecting onto a 120" diagonal glass beaded pull-down Da-Lite Model B screen. I think it's great for DVD movies, but the clarity on TV isn't that great. I'm thinking of moving the projector closer for a smaller image, although it will be a pain to reorganise the room since the X1 isn't ceiling mounted. What have you guys found the ideal screen size to be for the X1?

2) Right now I'm using an S-video connection from my DVD player, and RCA from my VCR. I haven't hooked up component video since the cable was out of stock when I ordered my X1 from Infocus. Would this really improve the video quality of my DVDs over S-Video? I'm pretty much a rookie in home theatre, so I'm not really up on the technical aspects.

Thanks!
James

Mike.ca

Auditioning
1) You might try setting the X1 to Native aspect mode for regular TV. This produces a smaller image and it may look sharper (no scaling).

2) It depends on your DVD player. Is it capable of Progressive Scan (480p) output?

The X1 has Faroudja DCDi for deinterlacing, which may be better than whatever is in your Progressive Scan DVD player, so going progressive may not actually be an improvement. You'd have to try it to decide for yourself.

If your DVD player can only do Interlaced component (480i) then even though that technically should be an improvement in signal over S-video, most users have not reported any noteworthy improvements going to 480i component.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I think it's great for DVD movies, but the clarity on TV isn't that great. I'm thinking of moving the projector closer for a smaller image,
Nothing strange here. Standard video over a composite blown up to FP screen sizes looks, well, not so swift. I zoom out to make the image smaller when I watch TV on my system. 'Course, I've got powered zoom on my PJ, which makes it pretty simple.

Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks