What's new

I Filled my SVS with Kitty Litter (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
No, the best way to stabalize it is to redo your floor with concrete. Use a few pieces of wood to frame and pvc pipe to create spaces for the legs. Once the floor hardens drop the legs into the holes and fill with additional concrete. Then fill the sub with the kitty litter.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for a good laugh. :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
When I first read this thread earlier today, I was convinced it was a joke. Then after seeing so many people apparently taking it seriously, I became concerned. Was there really someone so stupid as to load a downward firing sub with hundreds of pounds of kitty litter? Did this same idiot deserve my concern or sympathy? Will he buy this bridge I have for sale? I guess I can go to bed with the knowledge that while there are most likely people that stupid, its still safe to say they don't have the ability to earn enough money to purchase an SVS, I hope.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I would go with the lead approach myself. Just make sure you put something between the upper and lower part of the foot of the SVS sub, I doubt if the screws holding the driver can handle 2000 lbs of lead in spite of the otherwise quality construction.
Also, you might want to construct some sort of extended foot for the SVS out of iron girders to spread the load over a wider area of the floor or else it will no doubt wind up in the basement.
Good luck with your tweak!
biggrin.gif

------------------
/Kimmo

Chip E

Screenwriter
Guy,
As John Kotches eludes, i'm also concerned about structural integrity. Being a union Cement Mason, i have many years of experience with concrete and rebar.
I'd be more than happy to fly out to your crib and do what is needed to sure up the flooring under your sub. If anone else decides to give Guy's tweek a shot (no pun intended), then maybe i would be willing to do a "footing tour"..kinda like an ISF tour. Email me.
- Chip
eek.gif

------------------

J

John Morris

Guy: after carefully reading you posts and evaluating your situation, I can make some suggestions. First, pour some bath bubble solution into the litter. It will help to make the bass more liquid. Next, once you have done this, place a large balloon over the mouth of the port and then turn the sub upside down. That way, you won't have to reinforce your floor since the bottom of the sub will now be in the air. Finally, you don't need to fix the hole in the driver. Instead with your new setup, bubbles will appropriately come from that hole with each LFE output.
Now, sit back and ENJOY!!!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

JohnFR

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, liquid mercury works better than lead or kitty litter because it is heavier by volume. Just pour it in. However, be advised that mercury is extremely poisonous, and will emit deadly vapor after your sub warms up. Just be sure you and your family wear appropriate gas masks while listening.
Hope this helps, JR

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Wearing gas masks would compromise the imaging that Guy has struggled for so long to achieve, so this is highly unlikely! Besides, no pain, no gain!
So a few guests topple over from mercury poisoning, what's the big deal with that anyway? It's not like they wouldn't have died eventually from something else!
People are soooooo sensitive these days about a few deaths at somebodys house. I mean really, what's Guy to do!
As weird as this might be getting, I hope that Tom and Ron are reading this thread with a chuckle, I know I am
wink.gif

Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
You guys are doing this all wrong. You don't fill the subwoofer with anything at all! The problem is standing waves in the room, so you need to fill the entire room waist-high with lead shot so that your subwoofer is surrounded by it and firmly held in place. Reinforcement of the floor is unnecessary, since the bowing of the floor with any movement will simply add to the effect of your now tightened LFE. However, since sitting in your listening position covered in lead shot is very uncomfortable, you need to build an enclosure for your couch. In my home, I've enclosed my listening position with 1" plexiglass sheets, formed so that they keep the lead shot out but let the glorious sound waves in.
A friend thought he could achieve this same effect by filling the room with rubber balls (since they would absorb room reflections), but he couldn't keep the neighborhood children from playing in his home theater. It turns out that lead shot is a better alternative, since children are inherently afraid of lead. Plus, he now has a heavily armed albino midget guarding the entrance to his home. I can not stress this tweak enough! If your home theater doesn't have an albino midget armed to the teeth, then you aren't really recreating the true theater experience in your home! If anyone is interested, I have specially trained a family of albino midgets specifically for this purpose and I have several of them left. They can be had for the measly price of $1,295.49 (plus applicable shipping), which includes your very own home theater midget, an ample supply of post-Cold war refurbished weaponry, and a year's supply of pork rinds to feed your midget. E-mail me at [email protected] for more details.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually the better way to keep a sub from walking around, especially the cylindrical ones, is to get several scuba diving weight belts and strap them around the outside of the sub. Guy, I have an extra 50 lb belt you can have - YOU pay SHIPPING...
Didn't Knapp of all people come up with the kitty litter fix?
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Plus, he now has a heavily armed albino midget guarding the entrance to his home.
How distressingly un-PC. Don't albino midgets have feelings? Has he asked it if it's happy being heavily armed and guarding the entrace to his home?
And if I may ask, how do you ship a heavily armed albino midget? Probably in a white van, that would be my guess.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Now I feel kinda stupid, I halfways thought he was serious, so I kinda took him seriously. However I couldn't believe "Guy Kuo" of all people would do this.
But you never know, some people............
Thanks for the laugh Guy
biggrin.gif

------------------
Sean
"Self Realization....I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can salvage out of the situation. No expense too great for a good tweak!!!
Now how did you you make sure the correct side of each lead shot was pointed the right direction? Seems like it would take an awfully long time turning and stacking them in the room.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I sure hope this doesn't turn into one of those...Kitty Litter vs Lead Shot threads. They get so ugly.
But, I've learned a lot so far and it has me thinking of what might benefit my SVS.
I'm a big fan of Cheese. Whether it be string or Cheeze Wiz and who can resist a good Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar?!
I've read some of the papers on the benefits of placing Cheese on transports and Preamps. I guess Swiss is best under or on speakers to give an airier sound to your speakers.
But, to stay on the subject of bass enhancement.
What Cheese would benefit my 20-39? Has anyone stuffed their sub any aged Parmesan?
crazy.gif

------------------
Enjoy the Toys!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Not as distressingly un-PC as calling an albino midget "it".
I was wondering if someone would call me on that :) Actually, I decided to not be un-PC enough to assume the midget's gender (which ruled out 'he'), and the gender-neutral internet-inspired 'they' is so cliched anyway, that it's almost un-PC to descend to the level of using that.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
My wife had a good tweak idea, it involved the issue of exposed amplifier cooling fins.
Anyway, without my consent she had the great idea of melting candlewax into the top of the receiver to "Thermally Isolate" the entire amplifier section from the rest of the receivers components.
Good tweak?, well I really don't hear a difference with the amps "Thermally Isolated".(I know some do, but I don't want to start a war)
However, I am thinking now if I can couple this tweak with the Cheese tweak (of course the Wisconsin sharp, because of it's density and dampening properties) I may hear a difference, but I will post and let you guys know.
I may wait on this however until I get my sub hooked up to the 220v circuit(to double the amps power). Of course with doubled sub amp power I may have to use the kitty litter or lead shot to keep it from "walking".
Does the tweaking ever end?
------------------
Sean
"Self Realization....I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 17, 2001 at 06:02 PM]

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
Better to use kitty litter than fertilizer. The FBI would definately be after you to ask a 'few' questions if you followed up a query for a 'few' pounds of lead shot with a 'few' bags of fertilizer.
;-)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Guy Kuo
I love you!
Edit: Thanks for a reminder: But here's a reminder. Spoiler:Don't ******* ***** ***** **** ****** %$^&* &&&^&* &*(&&^^ (*&^&*g
Have a nice day! :)
patriot.gif

[Edited last by John Sturge on November 17, 2001 at 10:11 PM]

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I guess I should have read more closely. I had some bags of kitty litter left over from when I had a cat, along with some Kwik-crete (which looks about the same), so I thought I'd give it a try. I was worried about spills, though, so I figured "hey, load it outside." Boy was that stupid. I poured my litter and concrete out in the driveway (as it turns out, I spilled alot, so I'm glad that I didn't try this in the house), but then the sub was too heavy to move. To make matters worse, it was right in the middle of my driveway, so there wasn't enough room on either side for me to squeeze by in my car and get through the gate (the entrance to my driveway is flanked on either side by a stone wall). In other words, I was trapped in the driveway. I was so excited about tighter bass that I hadn't thought things out too well, so then I went into a panic. I strained as hard as I could to tip the thing over, figuring I could roll it out of the way. No good, but in my efforts, I managed to give myself a hernia. Since I had to get to the doctor, I finally just broke down, got in the car, and used it to push the littered SVS out of the way. I had to bump it pretty hard, but it toppled. Did I mention I live on a hill? Well, the sub tipped over, but then gravity took over and it started rolling--straight down the hill and through the side of my neighbors' house. Luckily for me they spend the winter in Florida. Once I have my surgery next week and get recovered enough, I'm going to sneak over and try to recover my sub. Then I'll just pretend like nothing ever happened. Now, back to the Hydrocodone...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks