I Filled my SVS with Kitty Litter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Kuo, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

After reading some posts and articles about how helpful it is to mechanically stabilize a speaker to improve the tightness of bass, I wasn't able to find a good source of lead shot to load my SVS subs. The local sporting goods store clerks looked quite astounded when I asked about getting 2,000 pounds of lead shot. Given the volume of the 16-46's, I figured they could hold 2 to 3 thousand lbs of shot each. I didn't mind the ensuing questioning by the FBI, but I was still left without any lead shot to fill my SVS subs. Then I had an inspiration. I remembered some posts from way back in which the author had advocated kitty litter as a substitute for lead shot because it was far cheaper and easier to obtain. Off I went to the grocery store and without any difficulty came back with a trunk full of kitty litter bags. The clerks did comment about me having a bunch of cats, though.
    Took a bit of effort to carry them all up the stairs so I'd recommend getting some buddies to help with that "step" of the project.
    I tried pouring the kitty litter into the subs through the top grate, but the mesh was too fine. Most of the litter just dropped down the outside and that meant a lot of clean up work on the teddy bear cloth afterwards. Once the grates were removed it was easy to completely fill each sub with kitty litter. (Tip: Wear a dust mask. Even though the litter bag says low dust, there will still be a lot kicked up while you pour it into the sub) Once each was filled, I put the top grating back on. QED.
    Both SVS subs are now well base loaded. I think it would be better with the greater mass of lead, but even with just kitty litter I can't move either sub at all. This should give me really "tight" bass, but for some reason no sound seems to come out of them now.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    Ovation Software, The Calibration Tool Source
    [Edited last by Guy Kuo on November 16, 2001 at 08:40 PM]

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

[​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

4. David_M_

David_M_ Auditioning

No, you fool! No wonder no sound comes out. You're supposed to use kitty litter with the "clumps" in it!
    ------------------
    What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women.

5. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Tried this with my SA-WM40, worked like a charm, bass response is flat a a table now. No more nasty 50Hz hump for me.
    15-100 Hz +/- 1 dB!

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------

7. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Wow! Consider the potential! Everything from CD players to amps and turntables, EVERYTHING can sound better CHEAP! Maybe I should even fill the doors of my truck with kitty litter to dampen those annoying vibrations... [​IMG]

8. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I considered doing this, but then I realized that the real problem is the listener and not the equipment. After ingesting 10 pounds of kitty litter, bass did seem to sound tighter and more defined. However, I strongly recommend you use the scoopable crystal litter, as it tastes quite minty.

9. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I can't believe you are all making light of my problem when I try to share how a tweak is working for me. I'm really worried now. The subs still don't make any sound at all.
    Oh cr*p! Kitty litter is leaking all over the place after I accidentally poked a hole in the driver with my finger. Now I gotta call SVS about a warranty replacement for the driver. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Guy Kuo on November 16, 2001 at 10:37 PM]

10. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

I heard it will work a lot better if you add some water to the Kitty litter.

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

12. ron schuchard

ron schuchard Auditioning

Guy, are you kidding us?
    If your not, then I'm speechless. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Ron

13. ron schuchard

ron schuchard Auditioning

Ok Guy, if you seriously did this, then maybe the weight of the "kitty litter" pulled a wire loose or something, take the driver out and get rid of that kitty litter.
    I can't believe someone ever recommended kitty litter, this just sounds absurd.
    I am sorry I am not trying to be harsh or make light of your dilemma, but kitty litter is relatively light, and you could of achieved the same weight with a lot less lead shot.
    I mean does an SVS need this? Fill it with some batting or something, I find it hard to believe that you need that much weight.
    I am very skeptical about this kitty litter tweak, and it is definitely not on my list of tweaks.
    Are you putting us on? Guy, this doesn't sound like you!!
    ------------------
    Ron

14. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

uh. call me dumb, but I don't think you're supposed to litterally FILL the sub with that stuff.
    anyway, I'm not sure where you read this 'tweak', but I just hope your room isn't the humid type [​IMG]
    ------------------
    I love you!! YES YOU!!!

15. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Guy,
    Once you get the kitty litter out, go for the lead shot after you've reinforced the floor. It would be bad if the fully loaded sub went right through the floor. Of course lots of experimentation for just the right kind of cement will be required. And you could mess around with various rebar materials as well!
    On the other hand, your kitty litter approach to mass loading does bring a new twist to the phrase infinite baffle
    [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

16. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Guy, couldn't you have gotten a couple hundred pounds of lead shot instead of thousands?
    Put the shot in little sealed bags and set them in the bottom of the SVS?
    I'm sure a hundred pounds would keep it from walking(I assume that was your problem).
    Did you really do this? Did you really put a hole in your driver? Oh shit!! [​IMG]
    Good Luck!!
    Guy, I reread your post and see that you did this to tighten up the bass, Isn't the SVS a nice tight powerhouse anyway?
    ------------------
    Sean
    "Self Realization....I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 16, 2001 at 11:35 PM]

17. John H

John H Second Unit

18. Charles Guajardo

Charles Guajardo Stunt Coordinator

Guy,
    the tweak only works with *used* kitty litter.

19. Ryan Bush

Ryan Bush Auditioning

Make sure you keep corn oil away from the subs too, or else you'll have the most expensive home-made fire bombs ever.

20. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I don't think used kitty litter would be very hygenic. Fresh kitty litter is also lot easier to get at the store when you are in a hurry. I don't think they sell the used stuff. At least, none of the packages were labeled as "remanufactured."
    I checked the resistance at the speaker terminals and there still seems to be a connection so I don't think the lack of sound is due to a wire coming loose on the drivers.
    I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this tweak, but it is real hard to pour out the litter after I wet it down with water as suggested above. It absorbs a LOT of water and just seems to set up like cement. The water also makes it virtually impossible to pick up the sub to turn it upside down. One of them fell the wrong way and put a hole right through the wall. The dang ports also block the litter from flowing back out freely due to their working like an reversed funnel.
    .... John. I should have checked with you first before doing this. I looked at the ceiling of the room below and there are definitely some cracks visible in the ceiling below where the subs are sitting. Thank heavens I didn't get the 2,000 lbs of lead shot.
    (this thread brought to you courtesy of Friday evening [​IMG] )
    [Edited last by Guy Kuo on November 17, 2001 at 01:21 AM]