What's new

HTIB or ??? (1 Viewer)

profetik

Auditioning
Real Name
Leo
Hi Guys,

I just bought a vizio 50" plasma, and I wanted to find a fairly cheap home theater system to go with it. I'm looking at 3 speakers+sub for around $800. I was originally going to go with the Bose 321, but I'm hearing a lot of bad things after looking in to it. I believe Sony has a decent 3 speaker system out. I don't necessarily have to have a DVD player with it; I can use my xbox360 (but having a DVD player doesnt hurt either) - what do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Why purchase a HTIB when you can begin building a quality system? For instance:

Axiom M2 Bookshelves: $290
HSU STF-1 Subwoofer: $300
Yamaha RX-V659 Receiver: $325

Total: $915

This is a very solid base system, and will allow you to slowly build a complete system over time. For instance, next year you can add an Axiom VP100 center channel ($250), and maybe a year down the line you can move the M2's to your surrounds, and purchase larger fronts.

profetik

Auditioning
Real Name
Leo
thanks for the insight!

How will it sound initially without a center channel though? Also, does the reciever have a "2.1" mode since I won't be using rears (will the 2-speaker surround be as good as a system designed for 2 speakers)?

How does the setup you mention compare to Sony's DAV-X1?

profetik

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Two bookshelf speakers will far exceed any of the systems you've described with three satellite speakers. And you can certainly use the system in a 2.1 configuration.

The setup I described above will absolutely blow away the Sony DAV-X1. Take a look at the specs on the Sony or Bose satellite speakers and compare to the Axiom bookshelves and subwoofer, in terms of weight and dimensions (11 lbs for the Axiom speakers, 2 lbs for the Sony speakers, 1 lbs for the Bose speakers). There's simply no contest. Unfortunately neither Sony nor Bose provide any specs for their speakers and subwoofer, outside of weight and dimension. Also, the Sony dream system barely qualifies as a receiver.

In any case, I would definately add a center channel in the future when budget permits.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't know, the compoents Alon mentions are good, no doubt; but I think not having the center channel would be ... oh I don't know ... distracting. Speach coming from the center is much more natural. And the rear speakers while not essential do add the icing on action movies. (I confess I've never actually tried a 2.1 setup; but when my kids accidentally reset from 5.1 to stereo it definitely sounds wrong.)

Why are you avoiding the rear speakers, cost or physical placement issues? because if it's cost you can get a decent set of 5.1 Polks (I like Polks) for about the same price of $650; and they'll sound great.

profetik

Auditioning
Real Name
Leo
Hi Al,

Thanks for jumping in. I'm avoiding the rears because the boss doesn't want speakers all over the place. We have a condo, and its a pretty tight fit with all the stuff we have. Cost isn't so much an issue here.

Alon,
If i did end up going with your setup; I would buy the center channel outright. So what I understand from your comment is that the Yamaha reciever can accurately synthesize surround sound with just the fronts+center? (e.x. I will hear the car behind me when it passes, like the 2.1 system demos in the stores)

I really like your recomendation; I'm going to circuit city tomorrow to see the TV stand we plan on getting (Don't want to wall mount it). I'm just worried that the Axioms (8.5" tall) will fit in the TV stand.

This is the TV stand we've kind of picked out:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-lin...oductDetail.do

I'm thinking the fronts might fit on the bottom shelf; is that ok or do they really need to be ear level?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Of course you won't achieve surround sound in any 2.1 setup.. If a car passes behind you then it will be played on the front speakers. Have you considered a sound projector? With a sound projector you may not need a receiver, providing you don't mind connecting all video directly to your TV. You will achieve full surround sound from one speaker.

Yamaha YSP-800: $600

Total: $900

If WAF (wife approval factor) is a huge issue, you may also want to consider purchasing good quality satellite speakers such as the HSU Ventriloquist.

HSU Ventriloquist VT-12: $200
Yamaha RX-V659 Receiver: $325

Total: $825

profetik

Auditioning
Real Name
Leo
I'm assuming you mean all audio -- directly from the sources to the sound projector. I think out of the options you've presented; I like the first one the most. Im really hoping those shelves would fit in the TV stand. Can you recommend any fronts with a smaller form factor w/ good performance and within budget?

Thanks!

profetik

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Paradigm Atom speakers might be worth auditionning, though I haven't auditionned them for myself. They are just a tiny bit smaller than the Axiom's. In any case, you might consider purchasing speaker stands?

Link Removed

I'd still lean towards the Axiom's however.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks