What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Incredibles -- INCREDIBLY RECOMMENDED!!! (1 Viewer)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I too seem to recall a 1.85 aspect ratio for Boundin.

As for the feature, my impression is in line with David on a couple of counts. PQ is very good, not perfect, but very good. Fortunately, I can't see any signs of EE (as a point of comparison, Finding Nemo looks like a Superbit title to me - tons of detail but more than a little ringing). I also got the feeling when I was watching the trailers that they had a little more detail than the feature. Not a lot, but it's there. In summary, I have no complaints.

The DD5.1 soundtrack is definitely on my short list of great ones.

-Reagan

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
You can go to Pixar's website and see a "sneak peek" of the 1.85:1 Boundin'.

Haven't had a chance to watch the film yet. That Vowellet thing is quite good. :emoji_thumbsup:

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Not only was the Cars preview in 16x9, but it also had Dolby Digital sound. I'd drive my tires over a mile of broken glass to see that preview again. Fortunately I don't have to. :D

"Dad gum!"

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Pat, yes...that 5.1 on the Cars trailer. Whoohoo!

I wish *all* "preview" trailers on these DVDs were mastered this way. They'd actually be worth watching if they were!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One word: Incredible.

:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: I had missed this movie in the theaters, it certainly deserves all the accolades it has received, and this DVD is yet another shining example of Pixar doing the movie justice with a stellar home video presentation.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the teaser comes only in 2.0 ProLogic? Was it not mixed in full DD 5.1 –or even 6.1– for theatrical exhibition?

And although extra features are ok, I guess I got spoiled by Pixar with their TOY STORY Toybox set and even their BUG'S LIFE CE, and certainly their latest DVD releases can not compare. FINDING NEMO was dramatically "dumbed-down", and art galleries for THE INCREDIBLES are way too meagre, even though some aspects of art direction and character design are covered on the documentary short pieces.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Any new fans of Sarah Vowell might enjoy checking out Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns), the documentary about They Might Be Giants. She has quite a bit of on-screen time, as far as I recall, and her comments are very interesting as well.

Jim Ogilvie

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one disappointed that there are no extras featuring the actual actors who voiced the parts (other than S.V.and Bird)?

It would have been nice to see Holly H and Craig T.N. talking about their voicing of the characters, how they got involved in the project, etc. Given the depth at which a lot of the story conceptualizing was covered, it seems the actors were 'left out' - and yet for me, the voices really made me believe the characters.

A sad ommission of what was easily my favourite animated flick in a very long time. Could it have been a money issue?

Sad if so. I would have happily given up the sit down animated interviews for seeing the real actors talking about their involvement.

Still, an awesome set.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

Ernest, please turn down the gain on your Disney antenna. I think you need to listen to this bit again and get it in context. He says, "On one hand you could say, 'Oh, this is old school...'" etc. He never says that he wasn't interested in seeing the footage, and goes on to describe the physics in the Jungle Book scene as "exquisite." That leaves his sole crime as mispronouncing the names of the characters, which I'll trust you on, having never seen Jungle Book.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, Syndrome is based on Brad Bird, and I think Jason Lee does a pretty good imitation of him (just watch the behind the scenes footage of Bird on the DVD). Also, the character is much younger than Lithgow, watch the film and you'll see.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
He says, "On one hand you could say, 'Oh, this is old school...'"...they're the past and we're the future."

No, you couldn't say that. Generally when you use the "on the one hand / but on the other" construction, you are presenting two true statements, with the latter outweighing the former. No thinking character animator would ever dismiss the work of the Nine Old Men. Well, that's not true. One could, I suppose, but I wouldn't say it too loudly around Brad Bird or John Lasseter.

And of course he praises the animation -- if he said otherwise, I would question his eyesight.

Sad if so. I would have happily given up the sit down animated interviews for seeing the real actors talking about their involvement.

You know, I'm not saying this is true in this instance, but many actors now demand increased royalties from DVD sales for appearing in bonus features. That might be the reason you never see Craig T. Nelson (how great is he in this movie?), Holly Hunter, Samuel Jackson, et al.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Ernest:

If that's so, how come we hear Samuel and Craig doing commentary for "Mr. Incredible and Friends", or voicing the brief Easter egg where they fight for the remote? Wouldn't that count as special features, or is that only for stuff where they actually appear onscreen?

As a voice actor I would have loved to see more stuff with the actors recording their performances. Oh, well.

cheers,
Phil

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Well Sam Jackson and Craig T. Nelson did do voice work for the commentary on the Mr. Incredible "animated" short (which was gut bustingly hilarious).

Count me in as disappointed as well for the lack of focus on the voice actors in the special features.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I think maybe not highlighting the voice talent was intentional. Weren't those character interviews on the internet before the theatrical release? I don't even recall ever seeing Craig, Holly, etc. promoting the film.

Didn't Shark Tale posters actually have pics of the voice talent? And the trailers showed the stars?

Two different approaches I think.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

Well, I have yet to watch all the extra features to be sure about this, but to me it looks almost exactly like Brad Bird itself!

Check out the JACK JACK ATTACK short to see what I mean.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Hey, does anybody else think that Violet has the makings of a serious supervillain? I mean, that look on her face when the family's been reunited and she's reveling in her power is just SCARY.

Also, Jack-Jack is going to be frighteningly overpowered when he grows up. I mean, flight, elemental powers, shapeshifting, ability to pass through solid matter...good grief, what a catalog.

I'm just sayin' we need to be on the lookout for what these kids do when they get older. :)

cheers,
Phil

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
If that's so, how come we hear Samuel and Craig doing commentary for "Mr. Incredible and Friends", or voicing the brief Easter egg where they fight for the remote? Wouldn't that count as special features, or is that only for stuff where they actually appear onscreen?

As a voice actor I would have loved to see more stuff with the actors recording their performances. Oh, well.

Because if you've seen recent commercials, you'll notice those particular "fight for the remote" spots are being used (I saw one with Mr. Incredible vs. Edna Mode yesterday).

In other words, the voice actors were employed to also do the voice work for these spots as well. They were paid for their promotional work. Their SAG contracts may have stipulated that actual footage of the actor/actress performing their roles would require more moneys paid to the actors in question. This may be another "blame Disney" moment, since it is Disney who produces the home video releases of the Pixar films. Disney owns these films after they are produced, Disney controls the home video releases of these films, a sore point in the recent contract negotiations with Pixar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks