What's new

Ongoing: Ron's Blu-Ray Discoveries Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Ron's Blu-ray Christmas Vacation

Earlier this year I completed my basement home theater. I thought I would include a picture of it above.

It has been everything that I have always dreamed of accomplishing. Though it's not as extravagant as what other fellow HTF members have built for themselves, it is the very best for what I felt I could do for myself with the budget that I had.

It's simple and effective. It shows that anyone on this forum with a modest budget can build the theater of their dreams.

Unfortunately, in all these months, I haven't really had time to sit and enjoy my room.

I am on vacation for the next two weeks. During that time, I plan to catch up on movies that have been slowly piling up on my desk. These movies represent old favorites as well as new purchases.

As I view a film each day, I'd like to come back and share my thoughts. I hope that you won't only come back and visit this thread for updates, but put together your own vacation thread when you have the time to catch up on movies and share those discoveries with all of us here......

Thursday December 24th

Love the Minions. After watching Despicable Me, I bought two stuffed minions (Dave and Kevin).

I don't know what happened. It was the first title I watched during my 2 week hiatus. Maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind. That has been known to happen from time to time. I will pick up where I left off at some point during my vacation and report back.

Pleasantly surprised. A perfectly entertaining popcorn flick that looked decent on 3D but sounded incredible in 7.1

An incredible find! Bought this blindly based upon the recommendations of the HTF membership. A captivating film from beginning to end with an interesting array of characters that you really become invested in.

Friday December 25th

Much better than I imagine it would be. You can read my full review here.

Saturday December 26th

Had not seen this film since its initial release in 1996. All I had remembered about it was one of Patrick McGoohan's last films.

Wow. I really had forgotten this film. The impact upon watching it this morning was forceful. Highly riveting, emotionally powerful. It's message is as powerful today as it was then. The last scene of the film had me in tears. I am so happy I revisited this movie. Looks pretty darn good on Blu.

More to come, including a surprise about a film I have never seen and will be witnessing its restoration for the first time on Blu....

Please revisit this thread. I'll be updating it daily through January 10th.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Looks good Ron! I'm after the same thing after 7 years with a Kuro plasma, which still looks great by the way. Screen and projector is the way to go moving forward. What paint did you use? Matte black?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dr Griffin said:
Looks good Ron! I'm after the same thing after 7 years with a Kuro plasma, which still looks great by the way. Screen and projector is the way to go moving forward. What paint did you use? Matte black?

Yes, as it does not reflect.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sunday December 27th
91J+4hA+ayL._SX522_.jpg
Been wanting to see this movie ever since Crawdaddy recommended it some time ago. Finally went on sale last week and I snatched it up.​
What an outstanding film this is. I haven't seen Marty yet, but JUBAL stands as my favorite Borgnine film. Great story with another villainous performance by Rod Steiger. Very cool to see a young Jack Elam here. He's one of my all-time favorite character actors. Looks wide and beautiful on Blu-ray with all its graininess intact.​
If you have never seen this film, you need to buy it blindly.​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sunday December 27th
91FxkDXDySL._SX522_.jpg
Haven't seen this film since it's initial DVD release. Not a bad film. Not nearly one of Clint's best or most memorable. The whole premise of escape seems pretty preposterous based on how it's executed, but the film is based on a real story of the three men who escaped Alcatraz.​
The film looks rather dated on Blu-ray -- probably the best it can look.​
Overall, enjoyable. However, probably the last time I'll see this film in my lifetime.​

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Sunday December 27th
Haven't seen this film since it's initial DVD release. Not a bad film. Not nearly one of Clint's best or most memorable. The whole premise of escape seems pretty preposterous based on how it's executed, but the film is based on a real story of the three men who escaped Alcatraz.
The film looks rather dated on Blu-ray -- probably the best it can look.​
Overall, enjoyable. However, probably the last time I'll see this film in my lifetime.​
There was a recent report that 10-15 years ago, they thought the two brothers were still alive according to some family members. Did you recognize a young Danny Glover in the cast?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Escape from alcatraz was under my Christmas tree this year. I thi.k the dated look is part of its charm. Ive been mesmerized by this film since seeing it in the tbeater when i was nine. Ive seen it it seems like a hundred times and i get sucked in every time. And the end credits, the music and the image of that bust is still haunting and creepy.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have always taken vacation over the Christmas, and New Years holiday.
And like Ron, I spend a lot of the time catching up on my Movies. The only tradition I have is watching all the Star Trek films over the vacation(never gets old).
Other than that I try to watch as many films as I can.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tuesday, December 29th
51EPnBwFC+L.jpg
"Hey, Hombre!" What another incredible find. Here's a tough, cool Paul Newman taking on the role of a man raised as an Apache who returns to white civilization only to get tangled up in a situation involving a stagecoach and a robbery.​
Great story with many suspenseful moments. Fine performances by Newman, Diane Cilento and Martin Balsman.​
Most noteworthy is the transfer. It's gorgeous! Watching this Twilight Time presentation in a flawless, widescreen presentation is quite pleasurable.​
Loved this movie!!!!​
So happy I discovered this film. Another treasure in my Blu-ray collection.​

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Welcome to the world of front projection, Ron!

Glad to see that you have a black walled, man cave with no bright LED's looking back at you. Very important ingredients that ensure a true theatrical experience.

Great viewing choices. I've seen all your picks, and am glad that you'll have time to savor even more in the coming days.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank You, Reed! You were certainly an inspiration to building it. You have been egging me on over the years to do it.

By the way...

Fun Fact about the western, Hombre....

In the opening scene, when a herd of horses first arrive on scene, an airplane can be seen in the distant sky.

Thought it was odd that was never erased from the film or a second take was done. It's pretty blatant, I think.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Thank You, Reed! You were certainly an inspiration to building it. You have been egging me on over the years to do it.

By the way...

Fun Fact about the western, Hombre....

In the opening scene, when a herd of horses first arrive on scene, an airplane can be seen in the distant sky.

Thought it was odd that was never erased from the film or a second take was done. It's pretty blatant, I think.
This is one of my personal favorite Newman films that I must have watched 30-40 times over my lifetime and I never noticed the airplane. :blush:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tuesday, December 29th
M2218845.jpg
Felt like a long movie. Overall, I really liked it. Great cast. Interesting to see very young faces of actors that would go on to do bigger things. The biggest surprise was one of my all-time favorite character actors in his FIRST role -- Dub Taylor -- who went on to appearing in one of my favorite films, Bonnie & Clyde (now there is a film I should watch this week). Also noticed the IRS agent, played by actor Charles Lane, who would go on to being a big character actor in many 60s sitcoms. Finally, another familiar face that I had to look up -- to find that actress Spring Byington would become villain, J. Pauline Spaghetti in a Batman episode.​
The Blu-ray looked very good. It had plenty of grain but still fairly detailed. I know that the film went through an extensive restoration and that it wasn't in great shape. To take that all into account, You Can't Take It With You looks quite good.​
Overall, an enjoyable watch. Was worth the blind purchase.​

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
It seems im discovering a lot of these films, too, thanks to reccomendations here. I watched Hombre last week. While I was enjoying the great characters, edgy dialogue(for its time) and wonderful cinematography, it seemed to drag on a little long getting to the robbery. My wife stopped watching halfway. Yet I was stunned how much I enjoyed the movie once it was over. Watched it again a few days later and liked it even more. I plan to watch YCTIWY on Friday (along with the Spartacus restoration), and I guess im going to have to use the barnes and nobles gift cards I received to purchase Jubal. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Sunday December 27th
Been wanting to see this movie ever since Crawdaddy recommended it some time ago. Finally went on sale last week and I snatched it up.​
What an outstanding film this is. I haven't seen Marty yet, but JUBAL stands as my favorite Borgnine film. Great story with another villainous performance by Rod Steiger. Very cool to see a young Jack Elam here. He's one of my all-time favorite character actors. Looks wide and beautiful on Blu-ray with all its graininess intact.​
If you have never seen this film, you need to buy it blindly.​
Just bought it. Blindly. I love westerns. Thanks for the recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks