What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" Collector's Edition (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
errr.. what is the different version of the movie in R2 land? Is this worth getting? Does anyone know what the difference is?
Danny, the UK version has always had a sequence at the beginning that recaps the events of the previous two movies. It's not a vital addition to the movie, but it's how I remember it!

As for the re-use of music cues, here's my opinion. Both John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith like to 'revisit' certain themes and motifs in their work - but James Horner has been shamelessly repeating his work for the last twenty years, and a lot of his recent stuff has bordered on self parody. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a lot of it, but the 'cut-and-paste' nature of his work is jarring to say the least.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Just £11.99 here in R2 Land. Picture and sound great, great commentary and extras.
Have to mention the menus, I love 'em, all the Star Trek specials have had great menus. I know some people hate animated menus, but when they're this good it really gets you in the mood to watch the movie, keep em coming.

Picked it up this afternoon, credits are rolling as I type this, and I actually was able to watch it in 2.35:1 without strain on my 27 inch TV from 91 sitting 12 inches from the screen. Excellent movie and only paid $16.99 Canadian!!!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Theres one funny blooper I didn't notice until I saw the text commentary, if you go to about 78mins in the film, the bit where Sulu accidently switches on the wiper blades on the helicopter, the wipers had broken, so they had a guy move it around with his hand, and if you look closely or freeze frame you can see his finger on the wiper.:D

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
Deep Discount DVD has it for $12.27 and free shipping, but they are currently out of stock so you may have to wait a couple of days.

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

Yeah I did a double take on that as well so I checked it about 5 times before I posted that price on this forum. I also placed an order. I am willing to wait a bit if I can get a 2-disc set for around $12.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had problems playing the extras disc? I'm using a multi-regional JVC XVSA-70 and I'm only able to play the "Time Travel: The Art of the Possible" extra. I'm unable to access the menu at all. Plus after playing that one extra the player goes back to 00:00:00 and pretty much freezes there, nothing else happens. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I have the same problem with my Panasonic A310. Going to try it on my Sony in a bit. I guess it's getting about time to get that new Panasonic with the progressive scan. After all, my A310 is 6 years old.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Deep discount dvd $12.27??? I ordered Sunday and it was $15.89! Anyone know when this price change happened and if they'll give me any credit for it?

In any case, I'm extremely happy to be getting it. Even if it's the same transfer, the text commentary by Mike Okuda is well worth replacing my current copy!

Dave C

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone had problems playing the extras disc? I'm using a multi-regional JVC XVSA-70 and I'm only able to play the "Time Travel: The Art of the Possible" extra. I'm unable to access the menu at all. Plus after playing that one extra the player goes back to 00:00:00 and pretty much freezes there, nothing else happens. Any thoughts? Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the same problem with my Panasonic A310. Going to try it on my Sony in a bit. I guess it's getting about time to get that new Panasonic with the progressive scan. After all, my A310 is 6 years old
It turned out the the extras disc was bad. I exchanged the DVD set for another copy & the new one played just fine. Any disc that has had a problem playing on my JVC has in the end turn out to be defective. Replacements for those discs that did not play initially, did play correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks