What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" Collector's Edition (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
We find William Shatner with a huge bug up his ass as he gives one of the biggest "I couldn't give a shit" interviews of his lifetime.
This interview was hilarious, I thought Ron had exaggerated, but Shatner REALLY didn't give a shit. I felt sorry for the bloke trying to interview him.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
How come in the picture of Shatner all of the background from about his eyes up is out of focus?

Chris S.

Wade M.

Grip
I guess the crew wouldn't mind a little fame, but there were probably extras back there too, and Paramount didn't wanna go through the trouble of asking their permission :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great review Ron.:emoji_thumbsup:
Star Trek IV should be docking here Saturday morning, nice.
Voyage Home is still the most successful Trek movie to date, thanks to its appeal to non-Trekkies, (my mother enjoyed this one).;)
A fun movie with a great feel-good ending.

Gillian: Do you guys like Italian?
Kirk: Yes.
Spock: No.
Kirk: Yes.
Spock: No.
Kirk: I love Italian, [looks at Spock] and so do you.
Spock: Yes.

Scotty: Hello computer?
Nichols: Just use the keyboard!
Scotty: Keyboard? How quaint!

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Having just watched the film I've noticed that Leonard Rosenman's score is very similar to his score for Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. This is a bit of a let down as it distracted me from watching the film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yep I noticed that too Jonathan, and his music for Voyage Home was Oscar nominated. The only other Trek score nominated for music was Jerry Goldsmith's
fantastic ST-TMP score.

James Horner's music for II and III were great, but sadly no Oscar noms.

ps. Rosenman's score for 'Robocop 2' has bits of LOTR in there too, so did his two 'Planet of the Apes' scores and they were made 'before' Bakshi's LOTR, weird!;)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Ah yes, Leonard Rosenman(sounds like the alias Fletch used in the hospital). His score is definitely the worst aspect of the film. Hell, at least that hack Horner tries to make his scores sound slightly different from one another. I've always wondered how much greater ST IV(and the Genesis trilogy overall) would've been had someone else composed the music.

But Dr. Rosenrosen isn't the only one guilty of score recycling in the ST series. Jerry Goldsmith rehashed nearly all of his music from U.S. Marshals for Star Trek Insurrection(in the same year no less) and to this day I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone call him on it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
and to this day I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone call him on it.
Because.. no one else noticed any similarity? I have both films and can't remember hearing Jerry Goldsmith's poignant 'Baku' theme in that Wesley Snipes actioner, or his famous Trek theme for that matter. If you're talking about incidental bits of action music, maybe.
John Williams has been borrowing bits and bobs from his past scores since the early seventies, nothing wrong with that.

ps. James Horner's two Trek scores were superb.

DannyS

Second Unit
errr.. what is the different version of the movie in R2 land? Is this worth getting? Does anyone know what the difference is?

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
John Williams has been borrowing bits and bobs from his past scores since the early seventies, nothing wrong with that.
I think there is something wrong with this. Whist watching The Voyage Home I kept being reminded of badly animated Hobbits.....did Leonard Nimoy have this in mind when he asked Rosenman to do the score? Or did he want the score to accentuate the film? Is it that hard to be original?

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I have both films and can't remember hearing Jerry Goldsmith's poignant 'Baku' theme in that Wesley Snipes actioner, or his famous Trek theme for that matter. If you're talking about incidental bits of action music, maybe.
Yes, Goldsmith basically re-used his 6-note "US Marshalls" theme for the main action motif in "ST: Insurrection". But what's wrong with that? You can clearly make out bits of "The Mummy" and "Deep Rising" in "ST: Nemesis" too. Again, so what? And if you listen REALLY hard enough, his original Klingon theme bares more than a passing resemblance to the brass fanfare in "The Wind And The Lion" (1975) written four years earlier. AND if you REALLY fancy a challenge see if you can catch the birth of his ST:TMP theme in "Wild Rovers" (1971).

It's called a development of musical ideas and is cool to hear when you follow a composer's work closely (as I have done with Goldsmith). It is totally different to Horner's cut-and-paste jobs. I love Horner too though, bless him!

As for Leonard Rosenman... well almost EVERYTHING he's ever written sounds like LOTR (IMHO) so don't hold Trek IV against him! :)

Can't wait for this DVD... it just shipped from Amazon!

John

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
On this general subject: the other night while I was catching "Baywatch: Hawaiian Wedding", there were some pieces at the end (notably during the helicopter rescue scene) where the background music reminded me a LOT of the Titanium Ranger's theme music from "Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue", although more stylized and at a faster pace.

Now, as to why I know this particular music, my 5-year old has been a PR fan since he was 1 or 2 (when PRLR made its debut), and as for Baywatch I was, uh, doing "research" for TVShowsOnDVD since the DVD's coming out in June. Yeah, that's the ticket. :b

But the music's familiarity made such an impression on me, I went in the other room where my wife was playing Gamecube and mentioned it to her. Perhaps noone else in the world noticed that. Perhaps it was a complete coincidence. I don't even know who the composers of each soundtrack are. But I can see where some of the folk are coming from in this thread. When it happens, or you even think it happens, it can be quite distracting from the on-screen action.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
The opening shots on Vulcan suffer from
flesh tones looking a bit too orange.
I'm pretty sure that was intentional. I believe the natural light on that planet is more orange, possibly due to that sun being older and thus more orange.

I don't recall, maybe someone else does...At the end of ST:III, the Vulcan scenes, were they more orange-toned then, too?

John Stockton

Second Unit
Seeing the film several times at the theatre when it first played I can also confirm that the orange flesh tones in the beginning were intentional as well as the soft and hazy scenes aboard the Klingon Bird-of-Prey.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Just got this one in the mail today. Can't wait to
listen to Shatner and Nimoy talk about the film on
the commentary.:D Thanks for the review Ron. Hopefully
for #6 the "other guys" (Doohan, Koenig, Takei and
Nichols) will be involved with interviews about the
whole series. Wishful thinking.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone had problems playing the extras disc? I'm using a multi-regional JVC XVSA-70 and I'm only able to play the "Time Travel: The Art of the Possible" extra. I'm unable to access the menu at all. Plus after playing that one extra the player goes back to 00:00:00 and pretty much freezes there, nothing else happens. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Seth_S

Second Unit
On Music in Trek IV

Parts of the main theme were clearly "inspired" by Mahler's 7th Symphony. Just FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks