What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Lost In Translation (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Hasn't Harrison Ford been with Calista Flockheart for a few years now, ever since his divorce?

I think people may be reading too much into this movie. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My persoinal experience with this film: I loved it. The girlfriend, who is a sucker for just about any romantic comedy said "it's good, but I don't know why it's so highly rated..."

We discussed it, and came to the conclusion that I loved it and she was less-than-thrilled with it for the same reason: it really could happen that way [the film].

Like I said, she loves romantic comedies, but it's more of a fantasy escape for her (down on her luck girl falls in love with Prince Charming, etc.). Lost in Translation is something that could actually happen. In fact, about seven years ago I had a similar experience to the movie - not that either party was married, but we were both dating other people and obviously had an attraction to each other. Watching Lost in Translation was like re-living that period of my life - down to the awkwardness between the two leads, the "almost" moments that didn't become anything (especially the lying-on-the-bed conversation, jeez that was eerily familiar!).

I loved this movie more than any romantic comedy (and I like those too, just not as much as the girlfriend) because of that gritty realism that is mixed into the movie.

Just my take.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

For me the most realistic moment is in the elevator when they dont know how to kiss each other. It is a perfectly well played scene and for me Charlotte`s awkwardness when the door shuts in front of Bob is priceless.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
too funny. that's the way me and my girlfriend interpreted it. i said it was awesome, she called it "cute".

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I couldn't sleep one night (kind of a coincidence even though I never knew that about the characters) and popped in the movie.

I think the title suits this movie very well. Both people were really lost in the beginning, asking themselves "what the hell are we doing here?" Then they find each other and for a split second they both want to stay but it never happens.

I liked it alot but not sure how much replay value I'll get from it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Interesting that Ford is hawking Kirin beer in the link provided by James T and there's a "Get Lost with Kirin in Tokyo" sweepstakes insert included with my copy of Lost in Translation. Murray's character was selling Suntory whiskey in the film and I don't remember any prominent Kirin product placement, so what's the connection? If Bob Harris is indeed supposed to represent Harrison Ford, was this promotion included with the DVD somehow orchestrated by Coppola? The mind boggles. :D

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have the feeling that this film resonates with middle-aged men more than any other group.

I liked the part where Bob is dozing off in the taxi, and Charlotte is smirking and probably thinking "old fart, and it's not even that late". And then it's her who falls asleep and he has to carry her up to the room.

That they both have no trouble falling asleep when together, after several "sleepless" nights, I thought was kind of a subtle touch/statement.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

I think RobLutter nailed it on the head. Me and the S.O. saw this at the theatre last year. Quality movie, we both loved it. Like many Indy-type films it doesn't slap you in the face with the message. Some may find the pacing boring. This is definitely a mood & character driven film, not a typical plot film with your problem-climax-resolution format.

If you are considering, rent it!

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Was wondering if any information has come regarding differences in the US (Universal) and Canadian (Alliance) DVD transfers.
I own the Canadian version and it would appear to be indeed identical in content as the US release, so I imagine the transfer is unchanged as well. Furthermore, I felt the transfer was a fairly accurate replica of how I saw it in the theatre (slightly murky, yet very rich).

So does anyone have any absolute knowledge of difference/ similarity in the transfers?

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the movie and thought it was simply o.k. I have seen 3 "artsy" movies in my life and I would have to say that LIT falls right in the middle for me. I'd have to say I liked it ALOT better than The Royal Tenenbaums (one of my most hated movies) but I didn't like it as good as Punch Drunk Love. Bill Murray did have some funny parts but I do not think this is his best performance. I believe he was better in Groundhog Day and What About Bob?. The best parts in this film to me were the photo shoot, the TV talk show, and the Bill Murray version of "More Than This" (Made me think of Grand Theft Auto Vice City :) ). If you like these type of "artsy" films I'd say you'll really like this movie but otherwise I'd say just give it a rental.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As a generality, this may be true.

However, I am 30 and this movie resonated with things that happened to me seven years ago, so even younger people can appreciate this! :)

Oh, and congratulations to Ms. Johansson!

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw this after a blind buy and LOVE it... these kind of simple stories always seem to find a place in my heart and I for one really enjoyed the slow pace that it took.

I wouldn't particularly call it an "artsy" film though ;)

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I think you're confusing the term "artsy" with "independant" perhaps.
I'm not sure I follow why Lost in Translation would be considered "artsy". I think it's a beautifully made film, done with great care and attention to detail (it's my favourite of last year) - but the term artsy usually evokes thoughts of something more experimental or uses "style over substance".
Lost in Translation was a fairly straightforward story (albeit told through great camerawork, actors, and a fantastically fresh script) that I wouldn't pigeon-hole as being strictly for an "artsy" crowd... even if I DO tend to embrace artier cinema...

I think I lost myself there...

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I recently saw this film for the first time on Thursday and was completely blown away by how wonderfully simple and honest it was. Yes, there was some wonderful moments of the good old Bill Murray, but there was also a wonderful sincerty that really made the film work. Scarlett Johanssen also really made the movie work for me. I loved every minute.

richardWI

Second Unit
I rented it. Put me in the hated it camp. And I'm a big fan of independent movies.

Every third or fourth scene is a "look at these japanese people too dumb to understand english" scene and it was amusing at first, but after so much repetition it got boring and then flat out offensive.

Coppola as a writer comes across as xenophobic and shallow. I loved VS and thought she'd have more than one good movie in her, but I was wrong.

It was obvious that the female lead was Sophia Coppola in real life, and that the ditzy blonde was Cameron Diaz. Sophia took some real cheap shots at Diaz that way and I found it unfair and petty. Devoting precious screentime and thousands of dollars to paint a specific actress in a poor light shows some real insecurities. At least Diaz has proven she can really act, unlike Sophia. How many of you would like to be portrayed in a movie as someone who has really bad body odor?

Jonze didn't come out any better with his character (who doesn't wait hand and foot on his "deep" wife and shower her with the endless attention that the princess deserves) and I'm not surprised to hear they soon divorced after this movie was released. What a terrible way to treat people.

Zak Hepburn

Stunt Coordinator

Well I am 21 years old and the film moved me to tears.
Just a perfect truth to many relationships that one has in life.
I adored the film and can't wait to get my copy in the mail :emoji_thumbsup:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

You're certainly entitled to your opinions about the film, but to me it sounds like you've developed your very own personal problem with Ms. Copolla. Is your last name really "Jonze"? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks