What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Lost In Translation (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
This was reported over on DVD TALK:

Sounds like the Canadian disc is the one to get, but... I don't really think this person did a side-by-side comparison to ensure that it was the same transfer. I think he's simply speculating on that point.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Mark, well said.

It's been nearly two weeks since I saw this film
and I think about it constantly.

Perhaps I need a shrink?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Here's a low-rez scan of the Canadian WS cover as released, can put a better one if anybody wants to actually read it. It's one of those (numerous!) Canadian oddities where the cover insert is reversible, but is bilingual on both sides anyway (each language is prominent/first on one side).

Should note that there is another thread re the Canadian LIT started by Tom Tsai which states some of the differences between releases, but as Rich says, nobody has compared the transfers directly it seems.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I was deeply moved by the film, but feared that the quiet visual nature of the movie would limit it's impact on small screen. Watched it last night on DVD and it was still magic. I guess what I loved most about the film was how carefully Sophia Coppola juggled the understated feelings of the characters, maintaining tension and realism and never slipping into an 'easy' resolution of the characters or their relationship. I kept waiting for the cliched moment, the two strangers falling into each others arms; instead the ending was tender, ambiguous, and very real.

Also, as a lifelong lover of Japanese culture and having visited Japan many times, I did not feel the humor of the film came at the expense of the Japanese. Humor is a natural way to cope when one finds themselves surrounded by a strange, incomprehensible culture. Every humorous moment (Bob Harris towering over an elevator full of short Japanese, the comical Japanese director, the 'l's' and r's) was matched by the moments that celebrated Japanese culture (Charlotte's visit to Kyoto, the wedding party, the ikebana class in which Charlotte is welcome) I've read that the film is being released in Japan shortly; I wonder what the Japanese will feel about the presentation of their culture and country?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Stephen, I hadn't heard about any of the controversy concerning people being offended with how the Japanese were portrayed in LiT until I saw an article in arts & entertainment section of the paper today. It hadn't even crossed my mind in the course of two viewings.

Like you, I think the film underscores Coppola's deep appreciation for Japanese culture. I don't know what these people were watching when they made accusations that the film draws laughs from racist depictions. This is the perfect example of how people never cease to amaze. :thumbsdown:

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

Actually Ronald, lets go see the shrink together. I've seen this movie tuesday, wednesday and yesterday, and not only do I keep thinking about it, I keep dreaming about it. I have a strong case of lovesickness, like if I was feeling the longing Bob must have felt when he watched that cute little girl go, never to be seen again.

That's very strange, and the only other movie that ever made me feel a strong emotion like this was Schindler's List.

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if or where you can buy the Canadian version in New York City or recommend a site to order it from? I already bought the U.S. release but I hate the mandatory trailers so much.

R. Kay

Second Unit
I see someone bring 'American Splendor' up in tandem with 'Lost'.

IMHO : Frankly, Splendor is a much better movie.

I'm not the biggest Harvey Pekar admirer (he's a VERY STRANGE man), but Giamatti nailed it and made him funny and sad and strange and heartbreaking throughout the movie.

You guys should at least rent 'Splendor'. Its a terrific film.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
I just rented this film (and literally just finished), and i gotta say that - i too, was lost, in Lost in Translation.

I think i liked it maybe because i have felt the same way both the lead characters have felt before. Where no one seems to understand you, and you don't seem to understand anyone else. I think people who liked the movie, liked it because we have all felt that same way at least one time or another. Maybe we all have something personal about the movie that we related to in some fashion.

I think Bill Murray had a good performance, but some people might not think "performance of the year" because it was minimalistic in nature. It's like you weren't sure if Bill Murray was acting intensely, or just being himself. But maybe thats what makes it so great. It fit the tone of the film perfectly.

But what about Scarlett Johansson? Whenever she smiled, didn't it make you smile too? It sure did for me.

Because of the "smallness" of the film, and the perfect performances, and in my opinion, some of the best cinematography of the year, i found nothing to dislike in this move. What a wonderful little film.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
We watched the DVD last night and there were no picture quality issues whatsoever. It wasn't that long ago we saw the movie in the local multiplex and as often is the case it looked better in our home theater. I think people are confusing Lance Acord's very carefully modulated use of selective focus and wide range of lighting with problems in the transfer to DVD. This is also a great-sounding movie and that's especially true in a well-calibrated home theater.

Having seen it twice now, I'd say Lost in Translation is a pretty good movie overall with several scenes that are simply amazing. I found I was holding my breath during the "Does it get easier?" scene for no reason other than just being totally captivated by the interaction of those two characters. For a young actress (wasn't she like 18 years old when the movie was filmed?), Johansson has an amazing gift for communicating through the moments when her character is unable to find anything to say.

One continuity question. Didn't Charlotte mention the ikebana class in a phone call home long before it was shown in the movie?

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I've seen 4 of the 5 Best Picture nominees (no Mystic River yet) and I will be sorely disappointed if LIT doesn't win this year. LOTR:ROTK was amazing but on a ridiculous scale. Master and Commander was incredible but was missing something. Seabiscuit was good too, but it doesn't linger with you and you feel manipulated in the end. I really can't compare LIT with anything, even though I've read reviews placing it with Casablanca or Brief Encounter. No, this is different...and unique.

Disappointed with the behind the scenes documentary. Matthew's Best Hit TV was a great inclusion, and the trailer keeps getting replayed around here.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Loved Bill Murray (he certainly didn't just 'play himself' as many critics contended). The film, not so much. It was 'sweet' and understated but not much else. To me, it was one of those films which made you think that there was a lot more going on than there really was, but ultimately didn't really have anything much to say for itself. Compare it to a Bergman (who deals with these sorts of themese in most of his films) and it looks pretty amateurish. It's disappointing that such a slight, and frankly, ordinary screenplay is going to deny In America the Oscar in that category. You'd have the be dreaming to think this film would win Oscars for Best Picture or Best Director, though.

I didn't find what could have been seen as the cheap shots at Japanese culture and language to be racist or unthinking (although the "rip my stockings" scene was truly bizarre if wildly funny). I think it was just the consequence of two people so out of touch with themselves,that differences between their own culture and Japanese culture became dramatically more pronounced.

As for the DVD, the transfer was soft-ish, but I believe that was its intention. Nice looking film, I'll say that, though.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

But what were you expecting? All the reviews have said that they movie doesnt have a fast pace and relies on dialogue and sometimes long shots.
I enjoyed it quite a bit and I thought it was not only very funny in parts but sometimes very sad.
More more enjoyable, in my opinion, than American Splendor which I loathed.
Not sure what to think about the whispered dialogue at the end but I'd still reccomend this movie.

The movie reminded me a lot of Before Sunrise. A love story about two people who find each other in a foreign place and spend a lot of the movie getting to know each other. Very quiet! No car explosions or people getting beat up or shot with a fairly ambiguous ending.

BarryS

Second Unit
I love this movie. I've seen it twice now and it was just as enjoyable the second time. This film is a real treasure. DVD picture quality looked great to me. I didn't notice any problems.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
This has to be my favorite movie ever. It was so deep, so touching, so true.

Random thoughts about the ending:

I think that, after their last kiss and words, they will never see each other again. But I want to believe so badly that Bob whispered into her ear "Here's where you can reach me...", but that is almost definitely not what was said. I think he may have said something along the lines of "These were the best days of my life. Thank you."

What do you think?

What a fantastic movie.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

I thought that was pretty funny...just got around to watching the extras yesterday.

Contrary to the disclaimer, this film is pretty obviously based on some actual events, I would have guessed this even if I didn't know a tiny bit about Coppola/Jonze, it has that certain ring of "truth" about it. But there was one thing I didn't get any clues about from the extras: Why is Kelly the spitting image of Lux (Kirsten Dunst) in Coppola's previous film? It's not like she needed to be, for such a minor part. I suppose the simple answer is obvious, if you consider the Coppola/Jonze relationship and when TVS was made...your HTF Inquirer at work!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It's just been released in NZ, and I saw it yesterday. Great film, really looking forward to the DVD.

Anyway, I will confirm that the picture was soft - surprisingly so, in some shots with Scarlett I wondered whether they had felt the need to put Vaseline on the lens.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Great movie - I loved how they contrasted modern and traditional Japanese culture. Sofia is definitely a better director than actress!

A little music help from the film - After they went out to the clubs with Charlie, they were riding in a taxi I believe back to the hotel, Bill Murray was sleeping - what was the song that was playing, they also showed a picture of a bridge during the song. Thanks - I love the music in this film too.

Shawn_E

Grip
My wife and I finally watched this movie last night. We were both disappointed. Bill Murray was great of course, but the film to me was very slow. You just wanted something to happen, but nothing ever did. I guess I'm missing the point??? The video was also very soft, and at times just disturbing. To me it was just a film, not an Academy Award winner.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
"You just wanted something to happen, but nothing ever did. I guess I'm missing the point???"

I don't think you entirely missed the point.

1) Both of the characters are "lost" (see note).

2) They meet each other, form a connection and hope that "something will happen" to either fix their lives or maybe offer a chance at a different life.

3) Instead, "nothing" happens. They're still "lost" but they've each maybe learned a little bit about themselves and they've certainly gained an opportunity to see what the world looks like from another "lost" person's perspective.

I believe it was the intention of the movie to make the viewer experience the same emotions as the characters and I believe that it succeeds for a lot of people. Then again, maybe some people don't enjoy experiencing those particular feelings...

NOTE: It can be argued that this form of "lost" is in fact the universal human condition. See for instance "Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book" by Walker Percy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks