What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time November 2017 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Dr. Dolittle (1967)
doctor_dolittle_1967.jpg

It turns out that if you hire over a thousand animals to work with Rex Harrison, some of them are definitely going to piss on him. This is fair enough, as Harrison was a demanding and obnoxious presence on set, with he and his entourage racially abusing other actors and demanding their roles be reduced. And his casting had seemed such a good idea at the time.

After the success of My Fair Lady it seemed sensible to ask for another film from Harrison, Lerner and Loewe. Loewe had retired, and Lerner was fired after a year of procrastination. The script had trouble working in a romance, and removing the more racist elements of Hugh Lofting’s source material. The replacement writer hadn’t written a cinema screenplay before, and wanted to impress the producer by rattling out a draft. Meanwhile Harrison demanded the firing of Sammy Davis Jr. from the role of a character that would later be cut, insisting that he be replaced in the musical by Sidney Poitier. The production hired Christopher Plummer to replace Harrison, paid him in full, but kept Harrison when the actor decided to take part after all.

Shooting in Wiltshire was interrupted by both the traditionally moist British summer and the less traditional having Ranulph Fiennes bomb the production’s artificial dam. He didn’t think it in-keeping with the village’s rustic aesthetic. Re-shoots took place in studio in California.

The giant mechanical snail prop didn’t work properly, and by unfortunate coincidence the local children of St Lucia had been struck by a possibly metaphorical stomach bug caused by freshwater snails. People threw rocks at the snail in response. A giraffe died before it could be insured. The production hired ducks that couldn’t swim.

Then the film got sued when elements of a previous draft turned up without the writer being credited. The writer had assumed that it was from the books, rather than an abandoned script, and so they were sued quite successfully. The scene in question wasn’t ultimately filmed.

The original budget of $6 million tripled over the four year production.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...054/19-ambitious-movies-that-didnt-go-to-plan

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Wonder if there is any chance of the original cut that was previewed and then massacred when the preview cards were read. At least then the film might make more sense.
Apparently it was not only Rex causing trouble on the set but his then wife Rachel Roberts.
According to Anthony Newley, Rex should have no problems talking to the animals as he was married to one!!!

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a fantastic month of releases!!! While I have zero interest in Bananas, I'm over the moon with the news of Sayonara and Gidget, happy for Doctor Dolittle (knowing TT, I'm sure it's the complete Roadshow cut) and I've an interest in Japanese cinema so Yellow Handkerchief will be a blind buy for me. Hoping for commentaries on Gidget, Sayonara and Doctor Dolittle (I'm sure Samantha Eggar would be more than happy to contribute if asked).
My sentiments exactly! :thumbsup:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Finally! The Doctor Dolittle obsessed can be happy. :) Bananas takes us near the end of the United Artists / Orion Woody Allen library. If I am figuring correctly, we just have Alice remaining.

Then we have to start in on the Sony/Tri-Star stuff: HUSBANDS AND WIVES, SWEET AND LOWDOWN, MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY, etc.

Unfortunately for Allen completists, PLAY IT AGAIN SAM is owned by (gag) Paramount, and BULLETS OVER BROADWAY & MIGHTY APHRODITE came in under the Mirimax label.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Wow, I somehow missed the day this was posted originally, what an exciting month for TT. I've been waiting for Doctor Dolittle for a long time, and I'll pass this along, I am sure some of you have seen it, but one of the cable channels, not sure if it was Reteroplex or which one, showed this not too long ago and it was obviously a brand new transfer and it is just stunning, I can't wait to see and hear it uncompressed. I've also been waiting for Sayonara and I love Bananas, so it's a triple buy for me. Thanks Twilight Time! This gives me hope for "STAR!" as well. I have never seen Gidget. What a great holiday gift for us. Can anyone imagine how our library of classics would stand now without having Twilight Time to give us these films? I am so grateful. Twilight Time people get my highest honors for hours and hours of pure happiness.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Only Sayonara for me but what awesome news that is. I was thinking that this film was never going to be released again in a good looking version. I can finally retire my 23 year old Laserdisc. I want 3-4 titles each from September and October so my wallet will need a break but very happy with Sayonara. One of Brando's best.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Wow, I somehow missed the day this was posted originally, what an exciting month for TT. I've been waiting for Doctor Dolittle for a long time, and I'll pass this along, I am sure some of you have seen it, but one of the cable channels, not sure if it was Reteroplex or which one, showed this not too long ago and it was obviously a brand new transfer and it is just stunning, I can't wait to see and hear it uncompressed. I've also been waiting for Sayonara and I love Bananas, so it's a triple buy for me. Thanks Twilight Time! This gives me hope for "STAR!" as well. I have never seen Gidget. What a great holiday gift for us. Can anyone imagine how our library of classics would stand now without having Twilight Time to give us these films? I am so grateful. Twilight Time people get my highest honors for hours and hours of pure happiness.

Hi Robert - Fox's brand new 4k restoration of DOLITTLE is still in process and has yet to be shown anywhere - it will undoubtedly render obsolete anything that has gone before in home video with this title.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Hi Robert - Fox's brand new 4k restoration of DOLITTLE is still in process and has yet to be shown anywhere - it will undoubtedly render obsolete anything that has gone before in home video with this title.

Some info - Sayonara was made from the only remaining stereo print. I know, because I picked up the print for Fox. I went out to the desert and brought it back to Los Angeles.
The print was three channel with no surrounds. The very end of the film was badly damaged, so that part was left in mono.
The film was later reissued by Image.
For that I went to Image post and looped in a stereo music track to lay on top of the end of the film, replacing the original mono.

Some fun info - Dr. Dolittle. Samantha Elgar was dubbed by Diana Lee.
I knew Diana back in L.A. she told me she sang it with a Julie Andrews accent. Miss Elgar was upset as Andrews was from London and Elgar was from Manchester. Diana wa forced to rerecord the songs with a Manchester accent.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
GIDGET and BANANAS for me.

Fielding Mellish and Virgil Starkweather (TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN) are on their way!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
To continue my previous post about the dubbing on Dr. Dolittle. Everything was fine until the film was finished. Smantha eggar decided she could sing, after all and post dubbed the songs line by line. It was ok until there was a test showing. The audience was not pleased with samanthas voice.
To make sure the dubber was not used, Samantha had all of Diana lees vocal tracks erased..
Diana then had to come in and redub all of the part again !!!!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
To continue my previous post about the dubbing on Dr. Dolittle. Everything was fine until the film was finished. Smantha eggar decided she could sing, after all and post dubbed the songs line by line. It was ok until there was a test showing. The audience was not pleased with samanthas voice.
To make sure the dubber was not used, Samantha had all of Diana lees vocal tracks erased..
Diana then had to come in and redub all of the part again !!!!

I think Eggar still speak/sings the intro to "Crossroads of Life," the part that begins "If I were a man I'd scratch his eyes out..." I never knew the rest was dubbed. Good match.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I always found the soundtrack albums amusing for these roadshow films with dubbed singers because instead of listing the singer's name, they would list the character who was singing thus keeping the identity of the singer secret.

MGM back in the golden era had no such compunction and regularly listed Carole Richards, India Adams, and Anita Ellis as the singers of the various songs shown on-screen with Cyd Charisse and Vera-Ellen.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
And are Fox able to confirm whether it is the general release version or the original pre view cut?
Have all the trims been lost?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
And are Fox able to confirm whether it is the general release version or the original pre view cut?
Have all the trims been lost?
The preview version no longer exists.
A collector had a private uncut 16mm version, but that was back in 1985 and is long gonel.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The preview version no longer exists.
A collector had a private uncut 16mm version, but that was back in 1985 and is long gonel.
Btw - none of the singing, intros or otherwise is Eggar, it is all Diana Lee.
She is dubber Bill Lees daughter. Bill sang for Captain von Trap in Sound of Music and for Joe Cable n South Pacific, among so many others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks