What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time November 2017 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I am utterly fascinated by Doctor Dolittle and what people say about it, in terms of its length and when cuts were made. I recently read Roadshow, and I assume that much of this lore comes from that shoddy book, which is filled with error after error. Then someone said I should read The Studio for more solid information. Everyone here is talking about a general release version without really going into the roadshow, which was a box-office disaster. Apparently they couldn't even get the premiere filled, so they invited the general public and I went. Being a huge Newley (and Bricusse) fan I couldn't wait to see it. The mood in the theater was interesting. It still wasn't quite full despite it being the premiere and despite it being open to the public. During the first twenty minutes you could tell the audience was really trying to go with the film. There were a few laughs here and there, but after twenty minutes or so, the trying to go with the film stopped. We all sat there watching this behemoth of a movie stumble its way to intermission. When we came back in I'd say half the audience was already gone. Then the second half began and it was interminable, especially the final third with the sea thing. My memory is usually pretty good about these things and I'm fairly certain the running time was more than the always-listed 154 minutes. So, the next time I saw it, which was in general release, the final third was shorter. So, why is it always said that all the cuts took place after the previews? Are there no records of these things? Unless I'm just completely misremembering, which I don't "think" I am. :)

Because otherwise everyone here is saying that there was absolutely not an iota of difference between the roadshow and the general release and I believe that to be totally inaccurate.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw the roadshow version of Doolittle in TODD-AO and it was as awful as Bruce describes it. I've never seen the general release version since I never wanted to see it again. I will, however, be purchasing the TT release so I can, after 50 years, view it again. Will I change my mind about the film? Stay tuned.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree the movie meanders a lot servicing a bunch of characters, and it's too long for sure, but I just love the score. I guess I am willing to put up with a lot of narrative excesses to get to those songs.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Bruce, the book The Studio is very interesting, not only about Doctor Dolittle, but Hello Dolly and The Boston Strangler as well. If you haven't read the book, I'm very surprised for I feel you would have read this when it was first published.

I'm looking forward to the TT release. My mother ordered the book along with the soundtrack from Readers Digest for me. I guess she knew even in my early age I was gay.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2B9NcolWmsmKO33LBNb9-P5NZTix2iYasckKuhrhG1CdDOy04ec4jjnt6HArfXTT_05w5lZlJwhuukI=w2658-h1452.jpeg

Now peeling off its comic pleasures onto hi-def Blu-ray: “★★★★ Hilarious. The usual assortment of good jokes, bad jokes, bizarre ideas built around unlikely premise of Woody becoming involved in revolution south of the border” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide). Suck it up and enlist today!

“bananas”

Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2017

“An indecently funny movie…Any movie that attempts to mix together love, Cuban revolution, the C.I.A., Jewish mothers, J. Edgar Hoover, and a few other odds and ends (including a sequence in which someone orders 1,000 grilled cheese sandwiches) is bound to be a little weird—and most welcome.”

– Vincent Canby, The New York Times

“One of [Allen’s] best pictures…And it is a funny picture…when it hits, it hits.” – Dave Kehr, The Chicago Reader

Writer (here with Mickey Rose)-director-actor Woody Allen’s madcap Bananas (1971) is part wild political satire/part screwball romance. Allen stars as the remarkably named Fielding Mellish, a nebbish whose yen for a political activist (Louise Lasser) involves him in a South American country’s exploding revolution, up to and including his eventual and unwitting appearance as a Castro-like dictator.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TheYellowHandkerchief_BD.jpg

New to North America in hi-def: Veteran The Twilight Samurai director Yôji Yamada’s first international success, a tender tale of reconciliation and self-discovery adapted from stories by Pete Hamill and the winner of seven Japan Film Academy Awards including Best Film, Director, Screenplay and Actor (the legendary Ken Takakura).

THE YELLOW HANDKERCHIEF

(SHIAWASE NO KIIROI HANKACHI)

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

“A sublime comedic melodrama reaching tear-jerker proportions…Yamada consistently shows his talented story-telling techniques.”

– Gary W. Tooze, DVDBeaver.com

“A heart-warming tale that hits the right notes in the categories of drama, romance, and comedy…Yôji Yamada’s perspective of life in Japan is daring…the harsh realities are depicted in an honest manner, and, at the same time, the eternality of hope.” – Haneen Rafi, Dawn

The sublime director Yôji Yamada’s The Yellow Handkerchief (1977), adapted from a series of 1971 columns written by American journalist Pete Hamill, tells the tale of a road trip spontaneously undertaken by a trio whose back stories are revealed through subtly nuanced flashbacks. The film was the first to receive the Best Picture award of the Japan Academy Prize.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sayonara_BD.jpg

Finally on Blu-ray: James A. Michener’s moving tale of interracial romance in Korean War-era Japan, directed by Joshua Logan and nominated for 10 Academy Awards® including Best Picture, winning four (including Best Supporting Actress Miyoshi Umeki and Best Supporting Actor Red Buttons).

Starring Marlon Brando and masterfully scored by Franz Waxman. “Beautifully photographed and often moving. Performances are uniformly excellent” (The Motion Picture Guide).

SAYONARA

“It is Mr. Brando’s Air Force hero who falls in love with a beautiful Japanese actress in this beautiful, sentimental tale, that gives eccentricity and excitement to a richly colorful film…a lively and tense dramatic show.”

– Bosley Crowther, The New York Times

“This operatic picture from James A. Michener’s novel has worn remarkably well…Brando, more matinee idol than Method actor, and none the worse for that, is contained and always watchable; but Red Buttons, in his first major role…gives perhaps the more heartfelt performance.” Time Out London

A romantic drama openly dealing with racism and prejudice, Sayonara (1957) stars Marlon Brando as an Air Force major who falls in love with a Japanese actress (Miiko Taka) while stationed near Kobe, Japan during the Korean War. Like his crew chief, Joe (Red Buttons) – just married to a Japanese woman (Miyoshi Umeki) – the Major suddenly finds himself having to contend with a cruel military policy and an all-but-general bias against miscegenation. Sensitively directed by Joshua Logan, and featuring a superlative Franz Waxman score and a celebrated title song by Irving Berlin.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gidget_BD.jpg

You’ll want her for your Valentine! Available on home video for the first time ever in its full original widescreen Cinemascope courtesy of a brand-new 4K restoration transfer: the endearing first big-screen escapades of a spunky Southern California teenager (Sandra Dee) who finds comedy and romance in sand, surf and smooching with James Darren and Cliff Robertson.

GIDGET

“As a surf portrait of adolescent America, the film has a relaxed air befitting its nice young people and some random, knowing observations about growing up.”

– Howard Thompson, The New York Times

“One of the very few surf-and-sand movies not only to tell its story from a teenager’s point of view, it’s one that really understands the emotions of teenagers and how they really interact.”

– Stuart Galbraith IV, DVDtalk.com

The original surfer girl/beach bum movie, adapted from the novel by Frederick Kohner, Gidget (1959) stars Sandra Dee as determined little Frances Lawrence, who falls in love both with surfing and with the characters who populate the local Southern California beach hangout. Of particular interest are the young Moondoggie (James Darren) and the more mature Big Kahuna (Cliff Robertson), a Korean War vet who is the idol of every surfer on the coast for his life of apparently unfettered freedom.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DoctorDolittle_BD.jpg

A 50th–Anniversary hi-def Blu-ray event arriving in a brand-new 4K restoration transfer: the beloved all-family musical treat about the venerable veterinarian who – per the Oscar®-winning Best Song – talks to the animals, overflowing with fabulous Leslie Bricusse-penned tunes and the stellar talent of lead players Rex Harrison, Samantha Eggar, Anthony Newley and Richard Attenborough. With a 2017 Commentary with Bricusse, a documentary on Harrison and superbly remixed 5.1 audio.

Doctor Dolittle

“It’s impossible not to be impressed by Rex Harrison and his marvelous menagerie.” – Richard Luck, Film4

“Leslie Bricusse’s adaptation retains [the original’s] delightful aspects…His music and lyrics are admirably suited to the scenario.”

Variety

The great Leslie Bricusse brings us this musical adaptation of Hugh Lofting’s delightful series of children’s books, Doctor Dolittle (1967), with Rex Harrison starring as the eponymous fellow who famously has the ability to “talk to the animals.” Samantha Eggar, Anthony Newley, and Richard Attenborough co-star; Richard Fleischer (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) directs; but the real fascinators here are the animals, some real, some fantastical.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I watched Sayonara tonight with friends. Very nice. Great color, sharpness, and sense of depth. The fades and dissolves were A/B rolled so they are beautifully seemless. There are some minor density fluctuations at times but they are fleeting. Fine DTS-HD.Master 2.0 stereo track. Excellent movie, high quality Blu-ray, and it was enjoyed by all.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Sayonara tonight with friends. Very nice. Great color, sharpness, and sense of depth. There are some minor density fluctuations at times but they are fleeting. Fine DTS-HD.Master 2.0 stereo track. Excellent movie, high quality Blu-ray, and it was enjoyed by all.

You're tempting me to buy this disc. Me, buy a film directed by Joshua Logan? Surely not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks