What's new

HTF Challenge: Best Picture Winners (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I believe most of us can come up with alternative choices for the Best Picture award in most years. Even this year, where LOTR: ROTK is considered a lock, there are other films that some find preferable.

I don't find Braveheart to be a bad choice; it has a lot of the qualities that seem to go hand in hand with the Best Picture Award; as Dome mentioned - an epic quality which is aided greatly by some of the battle sequences, a strong protagonist, and solid cinematography that helps communicate the scope of the film. This is one of those films that works well as entertainment, perhaps because it has some of the qualities that one associates with the older epic films.

But I don't believe it has any real subtlety. Pretty much what you see is what you get. For myself, the truly great films tend to work on multiple levels and I can't say that this is the case with Braveheart. A solid film, but not one for the ages, IMHO.

In terms of impact on filmmaking, or advancement of the art of filmmaking I believe Toy Story is a pretty easy selection. In terms of appeal, entertainment value, and its' ability to alter my mood my favorite film of 1995 had to be Sense and Sensibility. One of the films that I can watch anytime, no matter how often I've viewed it.

Looking at the films for 1995 my top ten would look something like this:

Sense and Sensibility
Heat
A Little Princess
Toy Story
Strange Days
Seven
Braveheart
Babe
Leaving Las Vegas
Twelve Monkeys

- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I guess I feel like my signature kind of obligates me to mention films I feel are stronger in recent years. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much what Walter wrote, except that I actually find Braveheart to be a bad, though not surprising choice.

I’ve not seen it since it first came out and I plan on watching it again, so perhaps I’ll soften my view a bit, but basically I thought that there was not anything behind the technical part of the film. And while I don’t care that much about historical accuracy, it did strain credulity to suggest that William Wallace became a part of the bloodline.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Forrest Gump
Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Score: A+

This is one of my favorite films of all time, and I'll defend it till the day I die. 1994 is one of my favorite years of all time with three Best Picture nominees in Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, and Pulp Fiction ranking in my top 20 of all time.

The film is the exact antithesis of the book on which it's based on, and it comes as no suprise that the film's detractors share the same sense of cynicism as the literary counterpart. The hero does things which stretches believability from meeting John F. Kennedy, to playing for the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant, to running across the country while gaining a almost-religious following.

With an exception or two, this film emotionally resonated with me like no other film. And evidently, it did so with a lot of the older folks I know as well. It had that effect of nostalgia I would assume.

Much like PF and SR, FG would serve as another entry into the American mythology. Forrest Gump is the closest to a tall-tale the modern day will probably see.

Other's may disagree with me concerning this film, but I suppose I'll play the "it's their loss" card. I'm too young to be goddamn bitter and cynical with the world at this point.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Nominations

Four Weddings and a Funeral
- Don't remember anything

Pulp Fiction - A+
- It is far from being a staple of the classical narrative as events are told out of the traditional order from A to B to C. What this accomplishes is the priority and emphasis given to certain story elements that the audience can logically piece together. This creates a wonderful effect on the audience, and I think this film should have won Best Editing.

Shawshank Redemption - A+
- Triumph of the human spirit that doesn't have the obvious panderings of lesser films. The opera song the lady sings recalls Paths of Glory. You don't know what she's singing, but damn it's beautiful.

Quiz Show - ?
- Haven't seen it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Quiz Show is a finly crafted, gem of a film directed by Robert Redford. You are too young, but in the 50s quiz shows moved from daytime radio and TV to the big time (the $64,000 question was first on radio as the $64 question).

Sort of the reality shows of the day.

As these shows began to compete both with each other and with traditional, prime-time TV, ratings became more and more important. And it was found that audiences liked to be able to get behind a contestant and (in the case of a format where people competed against each other) boo the villain (or at least an unlikable contestant). So when someone became popular with the public, it was in the show’s and network’s interest to prolong the life of the contestant. Hence some were fed the answers.

In the case examined by Quiz Show, a contestant with impeccable credentials from an impeccable family is corrupted by this process. It really happened, back in the day. Redford shows us a real person in real agony as he struggles with a moral delimina.

Just a very fine film, that deserves to be more widely recognized.

For what it is worth, I remember Four Wedding and a Funeral quite well—a lot of fun, but little else.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Forrest Gump - I can take it or leave it. Good movie, but not one that particularly resonates with me.

Pulp Fiction - One of the best films of the last decade, though admittedly not for all tastes. Should have won BP, but it didn't stand a chance in hell.

The Shawshank Redemption - Would have preferred that this had won BP instead of Gump.

Four Weddings and a Funeral - What Lew said. Were they that hard up for a fifth nominee?

Quiz Show - Really need to revisit this one. As an aside, I'll recommend the 1950 comedy Champagne for Caesar in which Ronald Colman's contempt for television quiz shows presages current sentiment.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think Forrest Gump is the best of the nominated films, though I do think The Lion King should have won. The Shawshank Redemption is a very good, though not quite great movie for me, and while Pulp Fiction has some things to recommend it, it's quite overrated IMO. I haven't seen the others.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Gentleman's Agreement - :star::star:½

A very well done social message film from the Darryl Zanuck 40s of Fox. I love watching Gregory Peck, he's an astonishing actor--although he doesn't give the seminal perfection of To Kill A mockingbird here, there is that same sense of the way he becomes a role, only very rarely did I ever think he was acting.

I don't particulary enjoy the way the romantic scenes are done here, the first big kiss scene was vulgar, silly, and far too Hollywood. The one redeeming feature was Kathy's reaction, which felt real after having that semi-forced on her. It didn't help that throughout the film I was mostly rooting against the hollywood star (as I thought of Kathy's role), so I was definitely let down by the final scene.

I was mostly annoyed at the intrusion of the melodrama moments and plot, almost all related to Kathy's role and what I thought of as the hollywood romance. they seemed to be interfering at times with the interesting things in the film. Such as the way Phil relates to Tom, his mother, and the staff at the paper--all those held much more interest to me than Kathy ever did (of course those three all are introduced before we really meet Kathy).

I think the film had a lot of well meaning things to say about the issue it takes on, and I have a great deal of respect for Zanuck for taking it on. This film definitely raises my curiousity for Zanuck's similar film on blacks, also directed by Kazan when Ford proved to reliant on counterproductive stereotypes--Pinky.

Adam

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It's been a while since I've kept up with this thread.

Schindler's List
Directed by Steven Spielberg

Overall Score: A

It's hard for me to figure out why certain people don't like this film. I don't remember who it was, but somebody said it wasn't a compelling film and didn't say anything people didn't already know about the Holocaust.

But that's their loss, not mine. I'm torn whether this is his best film or if Saving Private Ryan was.

Nominees

The Fugitive B+/A-
- Solid thriller although I'm not entirely sure why this film got nominated. Lacks the epic scale of... epics, and it didn't have a powerful dramatic ensemble.

In The Name of the Father
- didn't see

The Piano
- didn't see

The Remains of the Day
- didn't see

Damn, I hate catching up with the S&S and AFI. Missing out on a lot of films.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It's been a while since I've kept up with this thread.

Schindler's List
Directed by Steven Spielberg

Overall Score: A

It's hard for me to figure out why certain people don't like this film. I don't remember who it was, but somebody said it wasn't a compelling film and didn't say anything people didn't already know about the Holocaust.

But that's their loss, not mine. I'm torn whether this is his best film or if Saving Private Ryan was.

Nominees

The Fugitive B+/A-
- Solid thriller although I'm not entirely sure why this film got nominated. Lacks the epic scale of... epics, and it didn't have a powerful dramatic ensemble.

In The Name of the Father
- didn't see

The Piano
- didn't see

The Remains of the Day
- didn't see

Damn, I hate catching up with the S&S and AFI. Missing out on a lot of films.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The holocaust was about six million jews who died; Schindler's list is about 1000 who lived.

I've heard that quote attributed to Stanley Kubrick and it sums up one level of criticism leveled at the film. Not that Kubrick was necessarily criticizing the film, but I think there is an audience that feel telling a story of hope, survival, and humanity in the holocaust somehow trivializes the actual event. Read Thane Rosenbaum's flawed, but powerful, novel The Golems of Gotham for some really scathing criticism of Life is Beautiful--apparently telling that story is such an offense against history that every copy needs to be completely erradicated (and he uses supernatural means to effect that end in the book).

The other criticism I'm aware of would be that Spielberg falsifies history by having the big cinematic going away celebration (of sorts) for Schindler (instead of slipping off with as much money and valuables he could manage). This group also sometimes finds the end sequence with the survivors overtly manipulative of the audiences emotions (instead of trusting the material to have the desired effect). I believe Billy Wilder said something like, The ending, with the real survivors, that was very emotional. I'd have never thought of doing that. which to me always sounded like really gentle criticism laced with an undercurrent of his trademark sarcasm.

And there's always the camp that won't like it because Spielberg directed Jaws, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Hook, and Jurassic Park--clearly the talentless hack that pounds out such drivel couldn't possibly make a good movie--these people tend to see flaws because they want to see flaws.

However I think there are some legitimate criticisms of the film, but I'm not completely certain on some of the more sophisticated arguments than the couple I've heard most often, outlined above.

There's a book with the (in my mind) unfortunate title Spielberg's Holocaust that's a collection of critical essays about the film and it's reception published a year or two after the original release. You might want to check that out.

Adam

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Schindler’s List was far better than any of the nominees that year, save The Remains of the Day. And that film was (also) pretty flawed.

Certainly In the Name of the Father had its proponents, but I don’t consider it a ‘best’ picture. The Piano made the S&S list—but it is one of those that just garnered a handful of votes and is (in my opinion) an actively bad movie.

Considering the competition that year, the subject matter chosen by Spielberg and the (ultimate) uplifting treatment of the subject, and the skill with which it was made, it is no wonder it was the winner.

FWIW, I think that a film like The Pianist is far more effective in dealing with the holocaust. But in the end it is pretty hard to criticize a choice to make a movie about a man who saved people from those horrors.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I figure historical inaccuracy would be the worst of it.

but I think there is an audience that feel telling a story of hope, survival, and humanity in the holocaust somehow trivializes the actual event.
That's something I'll never understand, and never hope to either. I believe there's a contingent of people out there that believe and have "logically" reasoned out the futility of life's struggle and find that triumph over adversity and the worst of humanity's actions is merely a fantasy and hardly a worthwhile goal.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I believe Billy Wilder said something like, The ending, with the real survivors, that was very emotional. I'd have never thought of doing that. which to me always sounded like really gentle criticism laced with an undercurrent of his trademark sarcasm.
No doubt that the ending is one of the more controversial aspects of the film.

Personally, I think what Speilberg did was right. Like Wilder said, he never would of thought of doing that. I don't think too many others would have either. It was unique. But it brought us "back to reality" so to speak, and really brought home the fact that this was much more than just a movie. There were real life survivors.

What I don't understand is why, by showing us the real life survivors, reminding us this is something that truly happened, is considered "overtly manipulative of the audiences emotions" (a common criticism). Even if it is, is this necessarily a bad thing?

There are only about 4 movies I have watched in my life that brought tears to my eyes. Schindler's List is definitely one of them.

A great movie, and Spielberg's best IMO.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Unforgiven
Directed by Clint Eastwood

Overall Score: A/A+

To really appreciate this film, I think you have to watch a certain amount of Westerns to get a few of the points. Otherwise, I think it gets lost on a lot of people on what makes this great.

Think of every cliché you've seen in a Western, and chances are this film goes in the opposite direction. I'll save more for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks