What's new

Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: Minari (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
minari.jpg
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Golden Globe® winner for Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language Film, winner of the Grand Jury Prize and U.S. Dramatic Audience Award at its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, and winner of two Critics Choice Awards, with nominations for six Academy Awards®, including for Best Picture, as well as three SAG Awards®, Minari arrives on DVD and Blu-ray™ (plus Digital) May 18 from Lionsgate. Minari stars Academy Award® nominee Steven Yeun (2020, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Minari), Yeri Han (TV’s “My Unfamiliar Family,” “Nokdu Flower,” Worst Woman), Critics Choice Award winner Alan Kim (2021, Best Young Actor, Minari), Noel Kate Cho, Academy Award® nominee Yuh-jung Youn (2020, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Minari), and Will Patton (TV’s “Falling Skies,” Halloween, TV’s “Swamp Thing”). Minari will be available on DVD and Blu-ray™ (plus Digital) for the suggested retail price of $19.98 and $21.99, respectively.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS
A tender and sweeping story about what roots us, Minari follows a Korean-American family that moves to an Arkansas farm in search of their own American Dream. The family home changes completely with the arrival of their sly, foul-mouthed, but incredibly loving grandmother. Amidst the instability and challenges of this new life in the rugged Ozarks, Minari shows the undeniable resilience of family and what really makes a home.

BLU-RAY / DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

• Deleted Scenes
  • Sowing Seeds: Making Minari
  • Audio Commentary with Writer-Director Lee Isaac Chung and Actress Yuh-jung Youn

CAST
Steven Yeun TV’s “The Walking Dead,” Okja, Burning
Yeri Han TV’s “My Unfamiliar Family,” “Nokdu Flower,” Worst Woman
Alan Kim Debut Performance
Noel Kate Cho Debut Performance
with Yuh-jung Youn TV’s “Sense8,” The Bacchus Lady, Beasts Clawing at Straws
and Will Patton TV’s “Falling Skies,” Halloween, TV’s “The Swamp Thing”

PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production:
Title Copyright: © 2020 A24 Distribution, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Type: Theatrical Release
Rating: PG-13 for some thematic elements and a rude gesture
Genre: Drama
Closed-Captioned: None
Subtitles: Spanish, English SDH
Feature Run Time: 115 minutes
Blu-ray Format: 1080p High Definition, 16x9 2.39:1 Presentation
DVD Format: 16x9 2.39:1 Presentation
Blu-ray Audio: Korean/English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™
DVD Audio: Korean/English 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This has received tremendous reviews. I'll be picking this up.

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A terrific film! I wouldn't be surprised if it's the second Korean film in a row to win the best picture Oscar.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the second Korean film in a row to win the best picture Oscar.

As I understand it, this is an American-produced film about people living in Arkansas. I know it features some actors of Korean descent and some non-English dialogue, but I don't think it is accurate to label this as a Korean film. Parasite is a Korean film because it was produced by a Korean crew in Korea.

That being said, full disclosure, I haven't seen this yet. I don't feel comfortable in theaters yet and won't pay $20 for a 48-hour rental of anything, so I am likely to see this when the Blu-ray comes out and the rental price lowers.

Why does this not give a release date?

The image Ron posted at the top of the first post says "Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: 5/18/21" in small print underneath the cover artwork.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As I understand it, this is an American-produced film about people living in Arkansas. I know it features some actors of Korean descent and some non-English dialogue, but I don't think it is accurate to label this as a Korean film. Parasite is a Korean film because it was produced by a Korean crew in Korea.

That being said, full disclosure, I haven't seen this yet. I don't feel comfortable in theaters yet and won't pay $20 for a 48-hour rental of anything, so I am likely to see this when the Blu-ray comes out and the rental price lowers.
I viewed it via a SAG screener so it didn't cost me anything and voted for the film in the best actor, best supporting actress (which it won) and best ensemble cast categories. I'll concede it's not technically a Korean film but it's not just "some non-English dialogue". I'd say easily more than 50% of the film's dialogue is in the Korean language and the film was nominated for a BAFTA award as best film not in the English language.

When you get around to watching it, even if you don't love it as much as I do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When you get around to watching it, even if you don't love it as much as I do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I expect to enjoy it too. But if I'm going to drop $20 on it, I'd rather it be for the disc which I would then have perpetual access to, rather than a 48-hour rental that will just expire and be gone.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
At it's core, MINARI is a simple story of the American dream. A young nuclear immigrant family comes to the U.S. to seek a better life. And, what could better represent Americana than owning a farm? Director Lee Isaac Chung depicts that dream, but doesn't romanticize it, for he knows that the ideal, even when successful, comes through hard work, patience and perseverance.
The Yi family has moved from Korea and has settled in a rural Arkansas town in the 1980s. Jacob (Steven Yeun) is a proud, determined father with a strong wife Monica (Yeri Han) and two young children, David (Alan Kim) and Anne (Noel Cho). Their home on the farm is a mere trailer (“it has wheels!” the kids remark). It isn't a great start and the parents supplement their income by working at a local chicken coop. Soon additions to the nuclear family are an uber religious farmhand, Paul (Will Patton; gloriously loopy) and Grandma (Yuh-Jung Youn).
Chung, who also wrote the script, isn't interested in melodrama, rather ,MINARI is an accumulation of details. The anecdotes of daily life. There is a story building, but, it's never in a hurry to announce itself. While the Yi family certainly stand out in “hicksville”, their heritage never becomes the focal point. It just is. There are health issues and the ever-present struggles of farm life, but, again, they are just part of the landscape of life.
The movie wouldn't work if the cast weren't up to the spare screenplay. Yeun is a steely force and Han matches him moment by moment leading up to a climactic scene between the pair. The kids are adorable in ways beyond the normal film-tyke sort of way. But, it is Youn who becomes the heart that binds not just the family, but, the movie itself. She and young David come up with a song when harvesting some Minari (a wild edible plant) and the key lyric is “Wonderful, wonderful” - an appropriate description of Granny.
MINARI is a sweet slice of life movie, which may be a bit slow, but, it's lovely mood piece (which makes the slightly melodramatic climax stand out that much more). The acting and care which Chung brings to it, make it a warm and worthy one.

Nominated for 6 Oscars including Picture, Director & Screenwriter (Chung), Yeun and Youn. And, for Emile Musseri's pleasant score.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A terrific film! I wouldn't be surprised if it's the second Korean film in a row to win the best picture Oscar.
At it's core, MINARI is a simple story of the American dream. A young nuclear immigrant family comes to the U.S. to seek a better life. And, what could better represent Americana than owning a farm? Director Lee Isaac Chung depicts that dream, but doesn't romanticize it, for he knows that the ideal, even when successful, comes through hard work, patience and perseverance.
The Yi family has moved from Korea and has settled in a rural Arkansas town in the 1980s. Jacob (Steven Yeun) is a proud, determined father with a strong wife Monica (Yeri Han) and two young children, David (Alan Kim) and Anne (Noel Cho). Their home on the farm is a mere trailer (“it has wheels!” the kids remark). It isn't a great start and the parents supplement their income by working at a local chicken coop. Soon additions to the nuclear family are an uber religious farmhand, Paul (Will Patton; gloriously loopy) and Grandma (Yuh-Jung Youn).
Chung, who also wrote the script, isn't interested in melodrama, rather ,MINARI is an accumulation of details. The anecdotes of daily life. There is a story building, but, it's never in a hurry to announce itself. While the Yi family certainly stand out in “hicksville”, their heritage never becomes the focal point. It just is. There are health issues and the ever-present struggles of farm life, but, again, they are just part of the landscape of life.
The movie wouldn't work if the cast weren't up to the spare screenplay. Yeun is a steely force and Han matches him moment by moment leading up to a climactic scene between the pair. The kids are adorable in ways beyond the normal film-tyke sort of way. But, it is Youn who becomes the heart that binds not just the family, but, the movie itself. She and young David come up with a song when harvesting some Minari (a wild edible plant) and the key lyric is “Wonderful, wonderful” - an appropriate description of Granny.
MINARI is a sweet slice of life movie, which may be a bit slow, but, it's lovely mood piece (which makes the slightly melodramatic climax stand out that much more). The acting and care which Chung brings to it, make it a warm and worthy one.

Nominated for 6 Oscars including Picture, Director & Screenwriter (Chung), Yeun and Youn. And, for Emile Musseri's pleasant score.
I agree, it's a great movie that I watched today on iTunes in 4K/DV/DA. One of the best $9.99 purchases I made on iTunes.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Outstanding film! The children's performances in Minari really nailed it for me.

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has seen First Cow, the trailer of which is included on the Minari blu-ray? It seemed like they shared a few themes: a warm and gentle story about struggling immigrants which takes place in Oregon, although this is set in the 19th century and not in the 1980's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks