What's new

HTF Challenge: Best Picture Winners (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Adam, re: Broadway Melodies of 1929, remember, context context context ;). though to be fair i haven't seen a lot of musicals from that era either, but to compare an old film w/new films or takes on the same material is unfair. just like hamlet, to judge that using today's standards is not doing it justice. i always to try to get into the mindset... but perhaps you are right that musicals from around that era were still pretty good too. i just haven't gotten there =P.

Mike, be strong! =P that's why i'm only doing BP winners, not nominees. i know this is do-able. my other plan is to watch every single film by DIRECTOR, like chaplin, i've seen everything he's done. so that's pretty insane ;).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
-All About Eve (1950). i didn't know Bette Davis aged THAT FAST!!! @first, i thought she had prosthetic on her face, but when watching the bonus features, i realized that is no makeup, THAT IS REAL! lol. yeah i know, i'm shallow =P. i saw her in Now, Voyager before. much, much younger then!

absolutely love the wit in this one, Mankenwicz is an incredible writer =). obviously people don't talk like that in real life... but why would you? this is one of the things i miss about modern films =). everyone today is trying to talk like real life, but what's the point of fiction if it can't utilize wit to speak into our real life? that's why i luv older films =). ann baxter is awesome as 'eve'. i luv the ending and what happens to eve afterwards! but then again... i find it kind of odd and strange because why eve would let a complete stranger stay and help her. Margo's character helped Eve out because Karen introduced Eve to Margo, so that made sense despite the wild lies that Eve told.

the dewitt actor George Sanders was also in Rebecca, i wonder if he was a character-actor... only playing these roles before and after =P.

i luv that the focus isn't on what happens in the theater... but what happens to the 'acting in real life' aspect of the story. the double crossing and black mailing is insane, lol, all done in the 'best intentions' except eve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks