What's new
World Wide Stereo

how to run a car sub in house (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
'Car sub' and 'home sub' are just marketing terms. A sub doesn't care where it is run as long as it is in the correct enclosure and powered properly. The enclosure is determined by the driver's Theile/Small parameters and the goals of the designer. In reality, there are some subs that require such a large enclosure that they can be considered strictly home subs and some subs that do not produce very low bass so they can be considered car subs.

The subs I use in my theater are similar to the Audiopulse Axis 15's. They are currently in 3.5 cubic foot sealed enclosures powered by a Behringer EP-2500. I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as a parametric EQ to tame the inductance hump at 55hz and boost the low bass at 17hz.

Sometimes in the past people have asked this question and they were really asking how to run a car amp in the home. That is a waste of time and money. There are numerous pro amps and plate amps that can power almost any sub on the market.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
i am looking to put a jl 13w7 in my house is there an amp that i can plug into my wall to power the sub the thermal power on this sub is 1500 watts i looked up your amp u use and cant tell how to power it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Behringer and all pro amps plug into a standard 110v AC wall socket. You connect the audio inputs to the LFE output of your receiver using RCA to 1/4" mono plug adapters. You connect the amp's speaker outputs to the subwoofer driver. Plate amps work the same except no adapters are needed and the amp mounts on the box. Pro amps give you more power for the money. Plate amps are easier to configure and make for a cleaner looking enclosure since you never see the amp.

Please, please start using capitalization and puctuation. It makes things much easier to read. Also, don't send me personal messages with technical questions. That is a disservice to this forum because no one can search the PM's.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
i would just use a ported box i dont need to max it out but what type of amp do i need i dont need a good one just one with decent power. shoot me a link please aas you see to be the only one that can help

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
First thing, you have to get the car inside the house.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd put it in a 100L to 150L, sealed box. Power it with one channel of a pro amp like a Behringer EP-2500. If you go with something from QSC, Crown or Carvin then keep it around 1,500w into a 2 ohm load.

Your sub has dual 1.5 ohm voice coils. That makes choosing a home amp very difficult. Plate amps won't drive that load for very long without overheating. Pro amps shouldn't be bridged into that load unless you go with a very expensive model. Even then, I wouldn't do it.

As I mentioned earlier, JL is great sub but not a great value. I modeled an Elemental Designs 19Ov.2 (18" driver for $250) and it will get 5db lounder than the JL in the same 150L box with the same input power. I get similar results with the Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X and it has XBL^2 built into it.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
so all i would need is the amp that plugs into the wall the sub and the box with some wire and i would be good to go? i want to put this sub in my car when i am old enough to get one next yearthanks again

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are welcome. Thank you for giving a hint about your age. I understand your posting style now. It is exactly like my 15 year old niece. It also explains your fixation of JL. In a few years you will understand value vs. marketing. When you decide to upgrade to something better and a lower price, come back here and I'll help.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
yeah what could i plug it into to get audio i couldnt use an ipod or imac i have a onkyo reciever

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm really not sure what you mean in your last post. You can use an iPod and/or an iMac as a source if they are connected to the appropriate input of your Onkyo.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
i already have a logitech sub with 188 watts at 8 ohms the whole amp has a rms a 500 watts is there a way i can push more watts to the sub? the 13 w7 is a dual 1.5 ohms sus so is it rated at 1.5 or 3? also i would have 376 watts at 4 ohms would 376 watt unde power it so bad that it wouldn even work right?

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
if i wired my amp down to 1.5 ohms how many songs could i play before i would have to shut the amp off due to over heating

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which amp? The Logitech running at 3 ohms (voice coils of the JL wired in series) - I have no idea. My guess is that the amp was purpose built to drive the sub it came with so no flexibility of driving lower impedance loads was built in. It will either shut down or burst into flames. Other amps - I don't know. Some of the pro amps I linked to may drive each voice coil as a stereo load but it will require you to use a QSC or Crown amp. Those are the more expensive models.

Let me ask again, why this sub?

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
what exactky do i need i would buy an amp and all the stuff but i dont know how to wire it. is there a diargram u can send me? could u please speak in my retard language.thanks again for all the help

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
tx-ds494 there is no way that i could run it off anything but the onkyo right

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks