What's new

how to run a car sub in house (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm again confused by the "question" so here is the best that I can do. The Onkyo is the control center for all of your source components - DVD, CD, radio, iPod, x-box, etc. The link above tells you how to connect your sources. The Onkyo also has amplifiers that power multiple speakers and a line level output to be sent to a sub amp.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
so buy an amp what wattage would i need for a 1500 thermal power wired at dual 1.5 ohms. i want a behringer like yours i just dont think i need a 2500.any ways i buy the amp connect the subwoofer out cable to the amp the buy that cord from radio shack that connects to the 1/4 inch headphone jack and plug the other cable to the amp. then the amp is all good and them run speaker cable from the amp to the sub and then i should be good?? thanks again i really appreciate your help

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
sorry i re read my post and it didnt seem clear alright buy the amp then buy the 1/4 headphone jack to rca cable. plug in the amp to the subwoofer[what cable do i need?] them plug the 1/4 jack to the reciever with the rca cable connect to the amp. then run speaker wire form the amp to the subwoofer. that should do it then right? also i have a onkyo cd player connected to my onkyo reciever i should be able to play cds to my subwoofer then right? also there is no ipod hook up on my reciever right? al lot of questiond thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Behringer is the best value in pro amps. They aren't as robust as a QSC but then again, you aren't going on tour with this setup either. Also, should only use 1 channel of the amp. At 2 ohms, the EP-2500 puts out 800w continuous at 20hz. So at 3 ohms, you are looking at around 600 true watts. That is more than enough to shake a house. You can wire up each channel of the amp to each voice coil on the sub but you will be pushing a load that the Behringer is not designed for. At best it will get hot and shut down. At worst, you will fry the output transistors and your amp becomes a very large boat anchor.

Plug the sub cable into the LFE out of the Onkyo. Plug the other end of the sub cable into the RCA jack of the Radio Shack cable. Plug the 1/4" mono plug of the Radio Shack cable into Channel 1 of the amp. Connect speaker wires from channel 1 speaker connectors on the amp to the sub. Wire the sub in series. I'll leave it to you to find one of 1,000 diagrams on how to wire a dual voice coil sub. And a correction, that is NOT a headphone jack. That is a 1/4" mono plug. There is a very big difference even though they look similar.

No your Onkyo doesn't have an input labeled iPod. It doesn't matter. My receiver doesn't have 3 inputs labeled DVR but I have 3 DVRs connected to it. Just get a cheap docking station off of Ebay. I picked up one for my wife for $15 shipped this week. Connect the line output of the docking station to the CD input on the Onkyo with a 1/8" stereo to dual RCA cable. I'm not sure how it will sound though. It really depends on the bit rate of the music that you have. I'm extremely picky and want CD quality. I do not like the sound of compressed music in the house. But in my Nissan and my wife's Lexus, we both listen to compressed music since it is not a great listening environment and we sacrifice quality for convenience.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
where is the lfe out does it say on the back of the reciever what cable do i need to connect the reciever to the amp i know i need the cable from radio shack that carries the sound right but what cable do ineed to connect to the reciever to the amp

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ignore the cables mentioned earlier. All you need is Radio Shack part number 42-2373. Your other answers are in the pic below.

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
those two cables u labeled then would be connected to the amp right? how many watts would a europower ep4000 put out at 3 ohms

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
sorry i see that it is only one cable i just need that won cable i was thinkin the ep 4000 would put out around 1100 -1200 watts at 3 ohms

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
is there any sight that tell the weight and size of the amp i am going to buy the ep4000 because the amp will be running T 3 OHMS SO I WANT TO HAVE ENOUGH power to the sub and not fry my amp and there is a 20 dollar difference but i cant find a sight that show the lengh width height and weight

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
i am really sorry for the all the questions but where do i plug the radioshack cable into the amp and where do the speaker cables go from the amp to the sub. a diagram of everything would be greatly apprecciated. this should be won of my last questions i will post pics when i get it all if my parents let which i am 95 percent sure.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The EP-4000 is just an EP-2500 in a new package. Power is the same. If you want more power you are looking at $1,000 and up for a Crown, QSC, Carvin or Face Audio amp.

Look at the EP-2500 owner's manual, page 5, Figure 2.2 - Rear panel control elements. The 1/4" mono plug goes into Input 1 which is labeled as #8 in that diagram. The speaker connections for input 1 are labeled as #12 in the same diagram.

You have ignored one of my questions and there will be no more help until you answer it - Why JL and specifically why the W7?

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
I want a w7 because I like the looks and the sound quality and it still gets kind of loud. I know they r overprised and there is better valued subs. Sorry I didn't respond to your questions I didn't see them because they were always at the bottom of your posts. I am pretty sure the so-4000 puts out more watss though

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
are u sure that is the right cable from radioshack because i need a subwoofer pre out on one end [what is the technical name?] and a trs 1/4 inch input on the other end. the radioshack cable is labeled 1/4 plug to rca jack shouldnt it be called subwoofer preout to trs jack. also the one end of the plug looks huge and the other end doesnt look like it would fit into anything i could be wrong but just my 2 cents

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
the 1/4 inch plug looks like that should maybe go into the amp and the other end looks like it would work if it was a male end

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You need to learn to read the specs.

EP4000
Page 12 - http://www.behringerdownload.de/EP20...8_M_Web_EN.pdf
RMS, 1% THD, both channels driven, bridge mode - 2400 watts. Peak; 4000 watts

EP2500
Page 11 - http://www.behringerdownload.de/EP15...1-25_Rev.6.pdf
RMS, 1% THD, 1Khz, both channels driven, bridge mode - 2400 watts. Peak; not advertised.

Both amplifiers weight 36.6 pounds. The only way to put out more power it to put in a much larger transformer which would impact the weight of the more powerful amp.

-Robert

jordan572

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jordan
yeah thanks for the great help went from knowing nothing to knowing what to buy and hook up and how to wire it too. i havent ran across a person this helpful on the internet ever!!! i thought i was going to have to buy a converter and a car amp but i dont need to just one more question how long would the europower last on 1.5 ohms before i had to turn it off due to overheating. and i f i did run it on 1.5 ohms and shut it down before it overheated would it hurt the life of the amp. how would i be able to tell if it was overheatin

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I run my EP-2500 at 2 ohms stereo into a pair of 15's. The fan has been modified to use a low flow, quiet model. I also reversed it so it pulls air from the front of the amp to the rear. The factory one is a little annoying in a quiet room at low volumes.

With three cats in the house, the air filter on the amp will get dirty. I forgot to vacuum it a few times and it really cut down the air flow. During loud viewing the amp would just shut down for 10 or 20 minutes at a time. After 3 or 4 times, I went over and touched it. I could have fried an egg on the top of it. I vacuumed it clean and now it runs barely warm to the touch during normal listening. When my wife cranks her Motley Crue DVD, it gets really warm but not hot.

I don't recommend it but you can try running each coil to each speaker output. I don't recommend it but it will probably work without problems if you keep the factory fan. I don't recommend it but it will probably work as long as you don't crank the Crue like my wife does. Did I mention that I don't recommend it and shouldn't be held responsible if your amp blows?

Finally, you will have to set the DIP switches on the amp to turn off the high pass crossover. But we can visit that when you hook everything up.

Thank you but 99.9% of this forum is just as helpful as me. I've been to car audio forums where it is nothing but insults and that isn't me. And a word of advice - pay attention in your English classes. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to project a serious image. Whether that is in person or on the web. I'm certainly not perfect and I let my writing slide when I e-mail friends, but here in public I try to put my business communication classes to good use.

I'm also learning every day as well. After researching for a couple of years, last year I built my own sub from scratch. Well as scratch as you can without owning a magnetizer. slideshow

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks