What's new

How Long Is Your Commute? (2 Viewers)

Joe S

Second Unit
I thought I'd ask because my next assignment (as an outsourced engineer) is going to be almost 50 miles each way. I currently drive about 21 miles each way-not too bad- and I really dread the additional miles down I91 and I84 in Connecticut to get to the other facility where they have work for me.

My previous job was about 7 miles, great until the company closed. Before that I drove 10 miles each way.

I really think the traffic is going to get to me.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
About 10mins driving to work and about 15-20mins driving home from work. Anything more than 30mins would drive me insane, I guess the city just isn't for me.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
14 miles into Orange County. About 30 minutes, 45 with a Starbuck's pit-stop. 45 minutes home. Uphill, both ways.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
12 hours each way, it really sucks.

funny like a clown. anyway, i drive about 50 minutes each way for school, not much traffic.

CJ

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
22 miles each way (roughly 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic, and route I choose), and I end up thinking less of my "Me First!!" fellow Americans with each passing day.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
For the past 10 years my commute was around 14 miles and 30 to 40 minutes each way. Often longer on the drive home. That's in LA County (the 10 and the 5). Now It's just a short hop on the 5, for a total of 7 miles each way. A much better commute—15 to 20 minutes.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I am lucky to live only a few blocks away from work. My commute is about 5 minutes each way.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My commute is about 30 minutes each way (60 miles round trip) into Philadelphia from Jersey. I am on highways almost the entire time, coupled with starting at 7:00 a.m, I rarely hit traffic of any kind.

J

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
About 2 miles. Depending on the time of day, anything between 10 and 40 minutes (we've been promised a by-pass that should relieve the traffic congestion through our village in the next couple of years - yeah! :) ).

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
100 miles round trip five days a week but it only takes me 40 minutes to get to work or home due to the speed limit of 75.

The oil changes, tire replacements, general tune up items and mileage really start to take their toll on the vehicle.

We are looking for a place closer to where we work.

Joe S

Second Unit
The trouble with a short commute is that your vehicle never really warms up. This can rot out the exhaust system prematurely. I think at least 7 miles is good for the vehicle.

The traffic on the highways generally moves along at 70-75 mph (speed limit is 65 mostly), but if there are any problems it can come to a halt and be stop-and-go.

The back roads are a possibility, but it's a lot slower with traffic lights and school busses (in season).
I guess I'll see how it works out, but it is causing me a lot of anxiety.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
If I lived within 5 miles of work, I'd be walking/biking, no question about it. I've even had the opportunity to move within that distance, but my job is a year-to-year contract, and the last few years have been 11th-hour, nail-biting, last-second renewals. So, given that I always seem to think I'm out of this job, I haven't moved closer. That, and we actually like our modest, easy-to-pay-for home that we've lived in for ten years.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
17 miles, which takes me about 30 minutes. No freeway, but about 12 miles is a limited access two lane county park (only three traffic lights over 12 miles).

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
It used to be 50 miles each way which took me about 1 hour in both directions depending on weather and accidents. We then moved 5 miles further away and that extra few miles added another 30-45 minutes just trying to get on the highway. That was just too much so I bid adieu to both the job and the long commute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks