What's new

How far do you commute? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
With gas hitting the stratosphere, I just starting wondering how far and long people commute.

I commute about 17.5 miles one way. The big plus is, that I live in an uncongested rural area, so that 17.5 mile commute only takes about 19 minutes.

The 17.5 miles is broken down by:

10 miles on a State Route (about 10 min)
7 miles on an Interstate (about 6 min)
and .5 mile on surface streets (about 3 min)

What's your commute?

And I'd rather not hear from you telecommuters! :P (I'm jealous!) :D

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
One way:
10 miles to the interstate.
30 miles on the interstate.
5 miles to work.
Total miles 45, total time 45 minutes. 450 miles per week not counting going out for lunch. I started brown bagging it 2 weeks ago.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
For many years I had a 100 mile round-trip commute (Royal Oak to Ann Arbor, MI). Fortunately I lived right near the highway and traveled in the opposite direction of most commuters so barring bad weather I could do each way in just under an hour (thank you bat out of hell Michigan drivers!). I shudder to think what that would cost me nowadays.

My commute now is one flight of stairs from the bedroom to the office...sorry, couldn't resist.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
14 miles in each direction. Happily, the 70A bus runs pretty much door-to-door for me, so I've just got forty-five minutes in the morning and afternoon to read, play Nintendo DS, and/or write movie reviews. Paying $40/month in travel expenses doesn't suck.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
13 miles and 25 minutes one way, split between road and highway.

After so many years of 10 to 20 minute commutes, I'd have a hard time moving to a big city and suffering a 40+ minute commute.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
about 17 miles each way. about 13 of which is freeway. unfortunately, my swing shift doesn't lend itself to mass transit but i'm thinking about putting the battery tender on the car as i ride my fz1 to work every day.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Three quarters of a mile, round trip. And I use the most gas efficient method of transportation: my feet. :D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I travel 2.6 miles each way, on a recumbent trike unless it's really raining hard. More and more people seem to be riding bikes along my route every week. And my truck only has 28k miles on it, after 6 1/2 years of ownership.

Brad

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
22 miles round trip. About 19 of it freeway. But @ $4.60 a gallon it's still around $100 a month. But there are thousands here in the Bay Area who commute upwards of 150 miles (or more) round trip to the Central Valley. I couldn't do it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When I lived in Boston, my commute was 40 minutes on a good day. But it was on the light rail, so I sat back and enjoyed another half hour+ of sleep. There are definitely certain advantages to Big Government.

Now, as I'm progressing through various interviews on a job that looks like it might pan out here, one of the biggest things that keeps coming back up in my head is the 19-24 mile commute each way. And that would have been nothing a year year ago, but the gas is a serious issue now. It's at the point where I would probably move from the community I grew up in and love here to a town a mere half an hour away to save on gas.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I walk 1 mile to the trolley, then a 15 minute trolley ride. I only put about 1,000 miles/year on my car.

BRING ON THE HIGH GAS PRICES!!!! LETS CHANGE THIS COUNTRY FOR THE BETTER.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Too bad you're going to hear from one now, 15 feet. :P

When I do have to visit customer locations I drive the company car.

I haven't purchased a tank of gas since February.

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
3km each way for me. Still uses enough gas to be annoying... of course I am driving a 4ltr Jeep Wrangler :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I used to work from home, but now I live 10miles from work. 9 miles of which is on a single street. 20-25m to get to work depending on the lights.

-paul

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Those are tough issues to sort out. In many ways I'd like to move out of the Rochester area. But anywhere I go will likely cause housing costs to triple and commutes to double.

But if you really like your area and the job opportunity there, it might be better to suffer the gas and commute time than live in a place you just don't love as much.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Telecommuter here! Also fifteen feet! :D

However, considering I can't possibly operate my future TV station from a one bedroom apartment, I'm now searching for some mini studio compatible office space in downtown Montreal. This way, my daily commute will be accomplished with nothing more than my feet, most of it possibly in the underground city (I live only a block away from one of the access points) which will be perfect during the wintertime.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
17 miles one way. Most of it is via a limited access two-lane parkway with light traffic, though, so it's a pretty stress-free drive of about 30 minutes. Luckily, my car gets about 27 mpg (and it's loan-free), so gas prices are not hitting me as hard as people with the gas guzzling SUVs.

My wife has a 1/2 mile commute. I can't convince her to walk or ride her bike, though. I'd be doing one or the other if my commute was that close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks