How does DAYTON 10" Subwoofer compare to Logitech Z560?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JayBrownII, Jun 14, 2004.

1. JayBrownII

JayBrownII Auditioning

Hi, guys, I just set up a HT system (see below) and am looking for a decent subwoofer below $200. Seems to me the Dayton 10" sub from Partsexpress got some pretty good reviews. Since I never got a chance to listen it, could you guys give me some suggestions on choosing a sub at this price range?

BTW, I own a set of THX certified Logitech Z560 speakers. I know that's not HT system, but at least Z560's subwoofer performs very well, better than many HT subwoofers I heard at CC and BB. Have you guys had any comparison between Dayton and logitech?

thanks a lot!

Jay

My HT Rig
    Receiver:Onkyo TX-SR601
    Main: Polk RTI100
    Center: Polk CSI30
    Rear: Z560
    Sub: TBD

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Going completely on specs, the Dayton digs deeper than the Logitech. The Logitech is rated to 35Hz, the Dayton to 25Hz. For HT it would probably be nice to have that extra extension.

3. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

The Logitech's going to be quite a bit more boomy (it's not really designed for home theater, only max output at the expense of sound quality). Once you get the Dayton and have it calibrated with the rest of your system it's a whole new ballpark. I almost guarantee that if I took the Logitech sub and put it in the same spot I have my Dayton that the Dayton would outperform it by a nice margin [​IMG]

4. JayBrownII

JayBrownII Auditioning

thank you guys! Before I pull the tirgger for the Dayton's sub, are there any other options at this price range? [​IMG]

BTW, how big is the difference between uncalibrated and calibrated HT system? Haven't done this yet, just curious...

Thanks again!

Jay

5. Adrian Ferrari

I just so happen to have my dayton 10" in the same room as my Logitech z560 speakers.

The difference is very very very noticable. The dayton is far louder and deeper. Not surprising considering the logitech was designed with home office audio in mind.

I would deffinitly recomend the dayton.. I am extremely happy with it and think it is the best value out there for anyone looking to buy a cheaper sub while saving up for one of the $600+ subs (svs, hsu).

Good luck. Post your impressions of the dayton when you get your hands on one if you could.

-Ferrar

6. JakubH

JakubH Stunt Coordinator

In terms of clean, low bass the Dayton will eat the Logitech for lunch. One thing to realize though is that after becoming used to somewhat boomy, distorted bass, 'clean' bass does not always sound as good as you'd expect it. Certain types of distortion can be pleasant to the ear, giving the bass a 'full' or 'warm' sound - an innacurate sound, but pleasing to many people, especially until they get used to what clean bass should sound like.

7. JakubH

JakubH Stunt Coordinator

In terms of clean, low bass the Dayton will eat the Logitech for lunch. One thing to realize though is that after becoming used to somewhat boomy, distorted bass, 'clean' bass does not always sound as good as you'd expect it. Certain types of distortion can be pleasant to the ear, giving the bass a 'full' or 'warm' sound - an innacurate sound, but pleasing to many people, especially until they get used to what clean bass should sound like.

8. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    You might check this out.. this sub was just put on clearance, it originally retailed at $199 and is now less than $95. Celestion has been at this for a long time, so they probalby know a thing or two about speakers. It might be worth your time checking it out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product

9. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    You might check this out.. this sub was just put on clearance, it originally retailed at $199 and is now less than $95. Celestion has been at this for a long time, so they probalby know a thing or two about speakers. It might be worth your time checking it out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I'm surprised you found the Z-560 to sound better than the HT subs at Best Buy. [​IMG] I have an old Altec ADA880 system, and while its sub is up there with the recent Klipsch and Logitechs, I don't think I have heard a hi-fi system with worse bass quality. These things are *very* relative.

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I'm surprised you found the Z-560 to sound better than the HT subs at Best Buy. [​IMG] I have an old Altec ADA880 system, and while its sub is up there with the recent Klipsch and Logitechs, I don't think I have heard a hi-fi system with worse bass quality. These things are *very* relative.