What's new

How does DAYTON 10" Subwoofer compare to Logitech Z560? (1 Viewer)

JayBrownII

Auditioning
Hi, guys, I just set up a HT system (see below) and am looking for a decent subwoofer below $200. Seems to me the Dayton 10" sub from Partsexpress got some pretty good reviews. Since I never got a chance to listen it, could you guys give me some suggestions on choosing a sub at this price range?

BTW, I own a set of THX certified Logitech Z560 speakers. I know that's not HT system, but at least Z560's subwoofer performs very well, better than many HT subwoofers I heard at CC and BB. Have you guys had any comparison between Dayton and logitech?

thanks a lot!

Jay

My HT Rig
Receiver:Onkyo TX-SR601
Main: Polk RTI100
Center: Polk CSI30
Rear: Z560
Sub: TBD

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Going completely on specs, the Dayton digs deeper than the Logitech. The Logitech is rated to 35Hz, the Dayton to 25Hz. For HT it would probably be nice to have that extra extension.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
The Logitech's going to be quite a bit more boomy (it's not really designed for home theater, only max output at the expense of sound quality). Once you get the Dayton and have it calibrated with the rest of your system it's a whole new ballpark. I almost guarantee that if I took the Logitech sub and put it in the same spot I have my Dayton that the Dayton would outperform it by a nice margin :)

JayBrownII

Auditioning
thank you guys! Before I pull the tirgger for the Dayton's sub, are there any other options at this price range? :)

BTW, how big is the difference between uncalibrated and calibrated HT system? Haven't done this yet, just curious...

Thanks again!

Jay

I just so happen to have my dayton 10" in the same room as my Logitech z560 speakers.

The difference is very very very noticable. The dayton is far louder and deeper. Not surprising considering the logitech was designed with home office audio in mind.

I would deffinitly recomend the dayton.. I am extremely happy with it and think it is the best value out there for anyone looking to buy a cheaper sub while saving up for one of the $600+ subs (svs, hsu).

Good luck. Post your impressions of the dayton when you get your hands on one if you could.

-Ferrar

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of clean, low bass the Dayton will eat the Logitech for lunch. One thing to realize though is that after becoming used to somewhat boomy, distorted bass, 'clean' bass does not always sound as good as you'd expect it. Certain types of distortion can be pleasant to the ear, giving the bass a 'full' or 'warm' sound - an innacurate sound, but pleasing to many people, especially until they get used to what clean bass should sound like.

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of clean, low bass the Dayton will eat the Logitech for lunch. One thing to realize though is that after becoming used to somewhat boomy, distorted bass, 'clean' bass does not always sound as good as you'd expect it. Certain types of distortion can be pleasant to the ear, giving the bass a 'full' or 'warm' sound - an innacurate sound, but pleasing to many people, especially until they get used to what clean bass should sound like.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I'm surprised you found the Z-560 to sound better than the HT subs at Best Buy. :) I have an old Altec ADA880 system, and while its sub is up there with the recent Klipsch and Logitechs, I don't think I have heard a hi-fi system with worse bass quality. These things are *very* relative.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I'm surprised you found the Z-560 to sound better than the HT subs at Best Buy. :) I have an old Altec ADA880 system, and while its sub is up there with the recent Klipsch and Logitechs, I don't think I have heard a hi-fi system with worse bass quality. These things are *very* relative.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks