1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hollywood ruining film prints on purpose (those red dots you're seeing)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Vince Maskeeper, Oct 6, 2003.

1. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick post after reading all the others.....

A few years ago i was one of those cinema-junkies who would go week in, week out to see all the latest blockbusters and smaller films just to get that "big screen" feeling. true, nothing beats a film in thunderous sound on a big cinema screen....

well, until i upgraded my own home theatre. I read an earlier post that made mention of the fact that nothing can compare with a cinema outing, not even the greatest home theatre in the world can compete with most of the multiplex chains getting around the place. But i disagree. And now, after going to the local 30 screen cinema earlier to see The Matrix Revolutions, i am even more inclined to stay at home and wait for the DVD version.

Fact 1: Two days after the release of Revolutions, the print that was used in our session already had a damaged audio track which resulted in 90% of the film being displayed in analogue instead of the more immersive digital track (I noticed only because the difference between the analogue and digital soundtracks was incredibly large)and the picture quality was nothing less than shocking. I noticed a fair degree of dirt and decay with the print already, and the overall presentation was substandard. I know how movies are supposed to look on a big screen. This didnt look anything like it should have.

Fact 2: After going to the movies every week for four years, and seeing the degeneration of print quality over that period, i made a decision to stay at home, where my own home theatre puts out better than average sound, and watch movies only on DVD. Of course, "event" films such as LOTR and Matrix, and hell, even Star Wars, warrant trundling along to the cinema and sitting with the rest of the sardines, but the majority of the stuff that comes onto our screens is hardly worth plonking down your hard earned for.

Fact 3: The DVD quality here in Australia of most films is superior to the local cinematic screening quality anyway. This makes my decision even easier.

Fact 4: Bootlegging gives money to people who dont make decisions about what movies are made, or even to those who make them. It gives money to drug dealers and seedy people like that. I would prefer to hand over my money to a studio that gives me a decent DVD transfer so that they can make more movies. Supporting pirates and bootleggers is just ripping the industry off. I wont do it.

Fact 5: If studios are indeed degrading the quality of their cinema prints to get at the pirates, then i will put my hand up to let them know that they have already lost one cinema patron, but gained a DVD fanatic. My home theatre is good enough to replace my cinema going experiences.

Thanks for your time.

2. Pete Lee

Pete Lee Stunt Coordinator

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

This is what's surprising me:

...who needs trilogy tuesday when the theaters are running the extended editions of FOTR for this week and TTT the next week? Checking Fellowship out on like, Thursday, and then seeing Two Towers on the following Sunday sounds MUCH more preferable to spending an entire day inside a theater, starting at 1 in the afternoon and finishing at around 1 in the morning. I didn't know this was going to be happening--and I don't know if a lot of people did, either. Maybe the frenzy for Trilogy Tuesday wouldn't have been so fevered.

I love the movies, but I'd like to maintain circulation in my lower extremeties.

And this has got to be the most unrelentingly retarded decision a studio has made--Fellowship Extended made it's DEBUT on home video--who the hell is going to bootleg the theatrical print?

Do studios even decide if movies get printed or not or is it just a totally automated thing anymore? Do they just send the print off and the duplicators just automatically stick those dots on there, regardless of what the film or it's audience is?

I can't honestly imagine that New Line or the MPAA thinks they're REALLY going to catch people pirating a movie that's already in the digital realm.

4. Pete Lee

Pete Lee Stunt Coordinator

5. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Yeah, I know--I think I touch on that in the article I mentioned eariler in this thread--its' just that this version of the movie actually DEBUTED on home video. Banning screeners of movies already on DVD is very stupid, yes, but trying to stop bootlegging for home consumption on a movie that was edited, post produced and packaged and marketed strictly FOR HOME CONSUMPTION is just--it boggles my mind.

"We can't let the Extended Edition get out on video while it's still in theaters!"
    "BUT YOU RELEASED IT ON VIDEO LAST YEAR."
    "Oh YEAH? Well why don't you take your pro-thief agenda to Iraq with the rest of the communists! JOE! Dot that sumbitch up!"

Yeee-haaaa.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I saw FOTR:EE today, and there's only 1 reel that had all of the MPAA dots, and it's the reel with Galadriel in the Lothlorian forest sequence. The dots show up 10-11 times during that lone reel. The reel is used because there's plenty of brightness/whiteness on screen to make out the red dots which aren't obscured by other darker colors.

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

8. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

9. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

10. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co

12. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

13. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

14. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Thanks for all the information. I consider myself the lucky one, then, and will hopefully not notice them in my viewing of ROTK next week!

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Being serious for a second Phil, you really are lucky at this point. Sooner or later you will notice, and once you do it will bug you just like people flip out on the details of their home theater setup once they start to notice imperfections.

Tying this in with cinema history, studios used to steal from each other all the time between in the 1895-1915 era. To protect their material different studios would mark their prints, though the method was different than intentional marring. Instead a studio would make a critical part of the film a marker that the film originated with them. For example, a logo for a business in the film that would be on a sign or the wall during a scene. Not out of place, but more like using the studio logo AS the fictional company's logo.

Or in other cases their logo might just be a artistic pattern in the woodwork, etc. One huge benefit to this was that they ensured that either the film would be destroyed if the scenes with their logo were removed (critical scenes were marked) or that their logo had to be kept in the film.

I'm not really sure why CAPS could follow something more like this. Intragrating the image with the coding rather than trampling all over it. After all, the point is to HIDE the markers so that the bootleggers can't do anything about it, but visible and unique enough for someone trying to identify the source to recognize it.

But WTF do I know, right? It's not like film history is common knowledge... [​IMG]

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

17. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I saw a screening of ROTK last night and I'm sorry to say it has the dots as well. They were short lived and only appeared 2 or 3 times that I could see (and I have a good eye for them I think). Definitely not "Master and Commander" type dots but I did see them.

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm with you, Vickie. After ROTK I'm not going to the theater again until they stop with the intentional defacement of prints. Screw Jack Valenti!

19. ChipPa

ChipPa Auditioning

20. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"It is my understanding that Seattle's Cinerama is a digital theater."

They have DLP installation but Master and Commander and the Lord of the Rings releases there are 35mm.

Jason