What's new

$400 Sub Face-off: SVS PB10-ISD Takes On a Few Competitors (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that the extension comes with some distortion. If the 20hz section causes the sub to have say 10% distortion, then everything else being played now has 10% distortion also (30,40, 55, 75hz, whatever).

My friend Eric has 4 SVS CS Ultras, tuned to 16hz with subsonic set to 16hz and it is the tightest, most "musical" subwoofer setup I've heard. Even better than the Contrabass. Extension is not a disadvantage, distortion via harmonics is the problem.

Wayne- Nice writeup btw.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Adil M wrote:I’m a firm believer that anything written about subs, generally or specifically, is primarily relevant in the room where the experiments were performed; same goes with the subs used. People just can’t expect that the results will be absolute in their own room with their own sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, well I just didn't want people to get confused and think that the PB10 will max out in every room at 102dB. It certainly should be able to hit 110dB in most small to mid sized rooms.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Helluva job Wayne. It was useful hearing about how things were packaged and what the insides of the subs looked like. This one's for you buddy :)

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
It sure is sad to see the relatively cheaply constructed drivers in those mass produced subs - namely the motor structures. This is no doubt the biggest reason these subs can't compete with the SVS - that and probably cabinet volume. SVS obviously knows where you cannot cheap out. That's a serious driver they're using - in a $400ish sub no less!

Just for fun, I once bought a dual ported BIC 12" sub off of Ebay for cheap and replaced the driver with a Dayton Series II and replaced the amp with a Dayton amp. At first it sounded crappy, but then I plugged one of the ports and it sounded impressive. To my ears the sound quality is on par with the Def Tech PF1800 I have, which retailed for $1600. I was in awe. I think the improvement had more to do with the driver than the amp. The Dayton driver weighed 15lbs alone - not massive, but no lightweight. Yep, that was fun and it paid off.

If I still needed a sub and had to choose from the four in this roundup, I'd be a retread if I didn't get the SVS.

Oh yeah, as if it matters, the Infinity has an all anodized aluminum cone, not just the dust cap as Wayne has stated. Again, as if it matters.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Absoluately fantastic review! The ONLY wish i have is the Adire Rava would be included. Its $400 plus shipping and Internet only so its a direct competitor. I don't see alot of reviews for the Adire, I think I've seen just one. But its incredible to see how much better the factory direct competitors have over the mass marketers. I am saving my pennies for the SVS I believe. Again great review! Thanks!

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"The ONLY wish i have is the Adire Rava would be included. Its $400 plus shipping and Internet only so its a direct competitor."

This has been addressed before when the first SVS 10's came out. The Adire is a completely different sub that addresses a different market. You can do a search if you're interested. They are not comparable and that is by design of each company.

David

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Great review, thanks!

I have the JBL E250P, and comparing the 150 to the 250, the 150 is a TOY. The woofer has almost no excursion and is very 'polite' However, pull the grill off the 250 and it looks MUCH better.

Also, I got a screaming deal on mine, but I am sure I will upgrade soon!

Adil M

Supporting Actor
David,
They are both (Adire and SVS) subwoofers in the same price range. Elaborate on these two demographics they are trying to hit. I am intrigued.

It's intereseting how in Mullen's review the SVS was really flat across the frequency response. Taking that review into account the mass market subs are not so far behind, they are just not close in extension and that appears to be by design. Why would the engineers at all these companies have roll-off's designed in? Is is just a price-point decision?

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I'm curious too as I couldn't find any direct comparisons. I know the Adire is a sealed design with a 250 watt amp and a larger 12" driver. The SVS does have the hybrid class AB and class D amp however, and it makes me wonder if thats more efficient than the Adire's (not sure what type of amp it has). My guess would be the SVS goes lower and plays louder but the Adire is faster and tighter.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

My friend Eric has 4 SVS CS Ultras, tuned to 16hz with subsonic set to 16hz and it is the tightest, most "musical" subwoofer setup I've heard. Even better than the Contrabass. Extension is not a disadvantage, distortion via harmonics is the problem.
__________________________________________________ _____

He, he, he...that's the very method to my madness--a s..t load of SVS subs to the job right! Oh, yes...and the 16-46s and B12-Plus/4s (B4+) are quite "musical" too. :D

Here again...I knew SVS's 'lil 10" guy was designed to be a TRUE subbass reproducer. :emoji_thumbsup: By contrast, subwoofer-wannabes that can't perform below 20 Hz fairly flat might sound "fast" and "musical" to some, but ain't infrabass transducers. Period.

Am glad to see that more tests and reviews (great write up, Wayne! :emoji_thumbsup: ) justify my initial positive impressions of the BP10... :cool:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Excellent review Wayne... as I would expect from you.

At least I know what sub I'll have to consider if ever my "current sub" breaks down. Don't want to mention any names (as it might be embarassing considering what I paid for mine).

oliverLim

Agent
Wayne,

Great job! I enjoyed reading this.

You know what, My music room is exactly the same dimensions as yours! I have it in the right corner as well and you know what? My FR is almost similar to yours! I had lots of trouble getting rid of the 50hz dip as well. What did you do to EQ yours FR using the BFD?

Thanks again
Oliver

Steve(S)

Grip
Wayne,

What are your thoughts about using a 20hz 12db/octave high-pass filter in place of the 25hz 18db/octave filter you used with the SVS. Would it have a similar effect to what you mentioned about an improvement in low frequency resolution?

Thanks,

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.. Price stuff....

At the $500 mark.. I'm still in the not so regaurded Velodyne CHT-15 corner. While it's big, I still have yet to find anything that takes it at that price point or lower.

Interesting square off. Good to see all the bargain subs perform so well on the shoot out.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

The PB10-ISD already has a steep high pass at 20 Hz. Unless you are considering cascading an additional high pass with the existing filter.

Loved the shoot-out BTW, Wayne - great work. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

Steve(S)

Grip
In regards to using an additional high-pass filter similar to the one Wayne used to enhance the SVS's resolution, I found these little items on eBay.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5732520391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5726113377&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Feel free to add you inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks