What's new

$400 Sub Face-off: SVS PB10-ISD Takes On a Few Competitors (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jason, John, Bhagi, Ed, thanks for the comments. :)

Addressing a few others more specifically:

Thanks for the kind words, Sonnie. :) And a big thanks to you for the spread sheet you’ve provided for us on your BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide. It was a snap for my wife to modify it for 1/12-octave readings. Without this great resource I’d probably still be trying to figure out how to get some decent response charts up and running. :)

Oliver,
It’s hard to say definitively without trying it first hand, but Ed is right: The PB10-ISD already has a built-in high pass at 20Hz, so it’d doubtful that adding another on top of it would help.

Compare the response I got below 30 Hz from the PB10-ISD in the small room vs. the large room. As you can see, it ramped up considerably in the small room, almost 12dB/octave. So the filter that worked in the large room might not have worked as well in the small room.

As I noted in the review, it’s best to experiment with the filter yourself. Every room is different (as you can see by comparing my small to large room charts) and you can’t automatically expect that my solution will work exactly for you.

By the way, a great way to incorporate a high pass filter on the cheap is to pick up a used Rane PE-15 parametric equalizer on eBay – they usually sell for under $75. The low frequency filter can be set for shelving, and you can adjust both the turnover frequency and the amount of slope.

Steve S,
I couldn’t get the links to work (I added “www.” to the front). It might be better to post the Item #.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve(S)

Grip
Wayne, here are the item numbers:

5726113377 Fixed at 20hz.

5732520391 This one is adjustable between 20hz, 25hz, 30hz, and 35hz.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14931&item=5726113377

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14931&item=5732520391

Thanks,

Richard_s

Second Unit
Very nice review. I came here looking for ideas as my LBL PB12 amp just died not that I am suprised.

I fixed it for now using an old amplifier I had lying around and just hooked it up to the Driver works fine.

As for the JBL E250P you can get them right now for $199 delivered at ww.jr.com (free shipping at the moment) ENJOY.

Love this site.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Sorry for the second post.

The website is www.jr.com to get the JBL E250P for $199 delivered.

I have purchased from J and R before and they are good to deal with.

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
Nice write-up. Even though the Infinity came in second, I am glad to see that you criticisms of it are fairly minor because I have been planning to buy it. The SVS may be better, but at considering I can get the Infinity at wholesale.....

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
My AE Speakers AV12 woofer has an aluminum cone that rings like a bowl when you tap on it, but with program material it sounds just superb. While concerns about musicality (ringing, etc.) may be warranted if the driver were being used as a midbass, I don't think those same concerns are warranted for subwoofer drivers. Aluminum cones make extremely rigid cones for subbass applications.

My question is, are you sure the cone of the Infinity was plastic? I thought they were using the "Metal Matrix Diaphragm" aluminum driver in the PS subs like they do on the Primus speakers. (This is not the Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm, which has a special anodizing process to produce evenly distributed Aluminum Oxide deposits through the cone material instead of just on the surface.)

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator

It's a great write-up, but he was wrong about the Infinity. The INfity does indeed have metal matrix diaphragm, not plastic.

But I think you are also wrong about the composition of MMD as compared to CMMD.

The CMMD is an aluminum core sandwhiched between layers of ceraamic, no ceramic is actually deposited within the aluminum. This info coms direct from an infinity rep, as well as the techichanl diagrams and microscopic photos in the brochures.

The MMD diaphragm is actually exactly the same, except is has a lower proportion of ceramic to aluminum.

I am not convinced it makes much difference in real world useage....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks