What's new

Ruining sound in the theater on purpose, like the dots? (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I felt the same with Underworld.
I couldnt hear it and the bass was blaring the whole movie.
Bad Movie. Bad sound.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
On a similar note:
There used to be a General Cinema in Portland Maine, and it had constant problems with sound. Pops, dropouts, and jumping from 5.1 to 2.0.

I complained... and complained..
The excuse I got was the same as mentioned above. The Dolby Decoder would die, then it would go to the 2.0 backup... which would also occationally die. They knew of the problem, but said "they couldnt afford to fix it".

Drove me nuts, but they eventually shut down last year. Kinda stunk since it had the largest screens in the area.

nick

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I don't find that I pay as much attention to the sound at the thetrae as I do at home. I think it's because my system has been tweaked as best as I can with the tools and finacases avialble to me, and the local thatre couldnt give a damd. But when it's bad, it's bad. My local Famous Player Megaplex, which is basically the only thatre in town now, has really terrible wuality control. More often than not movies are porjected out of focus. It's really aggrivating. I saw TwoTow there and it was so blurry its all I could think about the whole way through it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
When I watched ROTK this week, the subwoofer (which I could hear behind the screen on the right side) was bottoming out during the entire movie whenever deep bass was present.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
My own experience was most recently at a screening of Matrix Revolutions, where the sound appeared to be in 2.0 only. occasionally, as the action heated up, the 5.1 track kicked in every so often, but only for a few brief moments, before returning to the less dynamic 2.0 version. Annoying, and certainly made the people i was with wish that they were watching it at my place, in full 5.1 widescreen glory etc etc....

Cinemas aint what they used to be.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
DTS tends to not have the same drop out and audible "snapping" problems as SDDS and Dolby Digital (or at least far fewer instances over the life of the print) as the sound is not tied directly into the film negative in spots of high wear and tear. The optical striped time code is closer to the film frame and there is greater read ahead of the SMPTE time code and audio buffering.

DTS even has a new 12 channel decoder that is also compatible with regular theatrical APT-X DTS and consumer DTS 96/24, and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 codecs.

Of course, the damn under paid whipper snappers at the theater chains still have to remember to put the frickin' disks in!!

Ahh, how I love home theater! :D

Dan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The EE DVD features an exclusive nearfield mix for smaller home enviroments,however the master was used for this was no doubt was used for the theatrical re-release as well though probably with a different EQ curve for larger space like commercial cinemas are.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I did I did!! The sound in SDDS was perfect and gloriously thumping in places. :D

This was at AMC Coral Ridge 10 in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

I had the exact same problem, only we were at the Regal Cinemas in Lincolnshire, IL at the IMAX theater. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had happened during the battles (certainly wouldn't have heart it then:D ) but it just had to happen during the quietest moments in the first half of the film.:angry:

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I've been in and out of here over the last few months. What 'dots' are you folks talking about? :frowning:

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I put up a thread about this a few days ago...wow. I saw it in an Imax theater and thought the theater was improperly set up. I heard distorted bass comming from the center, and the high-end kept dropping out. But it happened during the Spidey 2 preview as well as the feature. It's a shame theaters can't get it together to give audiences what they should get. 9.50 for the ticket I paid for ain't cheap!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks