Hollywood ruining film prints on purpose (those red dots you're seeing)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Vince Maskeeper, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

from slashdot:

I saw tetris blocks in movies, and thought I was insane! I tried to point it out to the people I was with, but they didn't see anything...

I thought I was going nuts. I saw these spots in 28 days later, and thought it was a film effect they used on purpose (highly stylized as it was) and saw them in Jason v Freddy and Underworld as well. They aren't just simple cirlces- they are also in patterns, like a flower pattern of several dots...

An no, they arent the oval reel burns that signal the reel change-- those are in the upper right corner-- these are a series of dotting patterns in the middle of the picture- and are quite distracting.

I seriously thought I was going nuts!

PICS:
    http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/ubb3141b.jpg
    http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/ubb3141c.jpg
    http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/ubb3141d.jpg
    http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/ubb3141e.jpg
    http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/ubb3141f.jpg

-Vince

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Yes, it's called the CAPS code and it was developed, I think, by Kodak. They are usually more yellowish than brownish.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

According to the info i found on some projectionst sites, this is not CAPS, or atleast not the original CAPS code which existing on specific frames and was kinda hard to spot-- and the answerman column confirmed that Kodak said the new system is not theirs. It seems to be something newer and more intrusive, designed to be visiable in low res video camera captures traded online.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm getting really tired of studios and exhibitors purposely degrading the theater-going experience, especially when ticket prices are so high.

I haven't sworn-off theaters yet, but may very soon if this trend continues. [​IMG]

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Don't studios realize that people who are satisfied with online copies or videotaped copies aren't people who were willing to pay the $8 to see the film in a proper theater?

The pirating is wrong, but IMO the customers that these pirates are reaching are not the target audience for studios anyway.

Maybe these bootleggers are horning in on the home video market, but again is a $5 bootleg REALLY worth it versus the deluxe $15-20 DVD? Yes you get the film "early" (at home that is) but if you like the film you are likely to want a better copy than that one at some point.

If the people getting these copies think its worth the loss of quality to cheap out like that, then I think its likely that they were never willing to pay the normal price anyway, so you aren't really losing a real customer.

Porsche isn't going out of business just because Kias are a lot cheaper.

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Man! THEY MUST BE KIDDING ME!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I saw that at the Mystic River showing on opening night of the New York Film Festival and couldn't believe that the print was so badly damaged. Now you're telling me that the morons DID IT ON PURPOSE! I paid $60 for two tickets to watch a deliberately damaged print...

Way to kick your best customers in the teeth, Hollywood...

Ted

7. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

MPAA Round Table meeting:
    Exec: Hey guys...here's an idea. Let's degrade the movie going experience so those damn pirates get a crappy transfer.
    Lacky: Yea boss...huh huh. That's a damn fine idea. I mean who really cares about those people who pay. They don't really care about quality anyway. Plus they'll probably just think it's a bad print.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Seth, I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of this. The idea is to have marks on the screen that allow them to identify the origin of bootleg copies, not make bootlegs look worse.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I think that this is an INCREDIBLY stupid idea! I know that the people who download movies will not care about these dots, since they don't really give a shit about how it looks in the first place!

How long are these dots on screen? I'm assuming it's just for one frame. Is that correct?

What's next for the MPAA? Do I see a red flash coming up every second? Screeching sound? Cops with loaded guns guarding the auditorium entrance, the projection booths, and roaming around the auditorium looking for video cameras? Or how about a metal detector when you walk in?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

The really sad thing is that it probably cost more money to devise and implement this plan than they were "loosing" in the first place. Of course we the consumers will be the ones footing the bill so what does it matter.
    It's really ass backwards the people watching bootleg movies over going to the theater or buying the DVD weren't going to do either anyway. All this is is a percieved loss of profit. The idea that if 10,000 people download a coppy of a movie and at 8-12 dollars a ticket they just loss alot of money is flawed, why because...
    1. Those 10,000 people wern't going to watch it any way.
    or
    2. Many of them did and are now looking for something to hold them over whilst they wait 8 frickin months for the DVD.
    and then out of those 10,000 people that saw it for free how many of them are now fans and will pay for a DVD or say "I gotta see that at the theaters" All this anti-piracy stuff is an excuse that someone is making to their bosses about why their movie didn't sell. "it was text messaging", "it was piracy".....The question that must be asked is, Are we really loosing money from piracy.
    Piracy is technicaly steeling, certainly I understand that as do many of us. But it's always going to happen it's a hard truth. I understand the fundamental wrongs but it strikes me as ass backwards to "fix" your problem by further alienating your customers. Instead of "fixing" your problem by alienating your customers. Do it by making my experience better for the fans. Better theaters, lower ticket prices (yes you can have both just stop spending money on silly shit like PSA' sand CAPS),and BETTER MOVIES!

You know there is a place in CT Marquee Cinemas (PLEASE GET THE LOTR ALL # SHOWWING !!!!!), exit 65 off of I95. THX certified souind and picture, stadium seating, cheeper snacks, and tickets for 7 bucks 5.50 for a matinee. The place is almost an hour away for me but it is THE ONLY theater I'll watch a movie at. I'll even go as far to say that I have seen more movies in theaters than I would if this place wasn't around. That is whatr attracts customers, not red dots on the screen.

11. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

I'm a member over at Film-Tech and I also work projection, and have noticed these "anit-piracy" messures. I really noticed it during Freddy vs. Jason, so much so it began to severely degrade the presentation. I agree, the studios need to focus more on insiders pirating movies, and exhibitors need to become presentation oriented again instead of promoting stadium seats and whiz bang digital sound in 500 auditoriums. They should make sure that the digital sound is at least GOOD sound. Just because it is digital doesn't mean it is instantly good sound.

AJG

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Darn! I thought I was on to something there! [​IMG]

14. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I can't even depend on a theater with 8 screens for decent projection that opened in 2001, and to top it off, they're THX certified! I think the theater with the IMAX screen is my last hope...[​IMG]

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Dan, then I misunderstood it too. You are saying that the pattern of dots is unique so that a copy can be traced. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to add a number in the corner of one scene that would be unique to each print? I think that would work a lot better. I'd hate to have to see this on a DVD that I paid money for.

Glenn

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

17. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

18. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think the idea was just to catch boots that are making their way out BEFORE the movcie is screened officially-- when it hits the net before it has showed publicly- they can trace it back to the source.

-Vince

19. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

But bootleggers are pretty sophisticated. It wouldn't take them much energy and time to remove these cap codes, either blurring the image or cutting those few frames from the film.

20. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

They may be marking different frames on different prints.